Current:Home > InvestJeopardy!'s Mike Richards Speaks Out More Than 2 Years After Being Fired From Hosting Gig -Prime Capital Blueprint
Jeopardy!'s Mike Richards Speaks Out More Than 2 Years After Being Fired From Hosting Gig
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 18:01:04
Mike Richards is reflecting on his brief stint as Jeopardy! host.
In August 2021, Richards was promoted from his role as the game show's executive producer to fill in the vacant spot left behind by longtime host Alex Trebek, who died from pancreatic cancer nine months earlier. However, after hosting just one episode, Richards stepped down from the podium amid controversy over sexist remarks he made earlier in his career. Though Richards apologized for the insensitive comments at the time, he ultimately parted ways with the show.
Now, more than two years later, Richards spoke out about his public firing, saying that it "was the price you pay for getting thrust into the zeitgeist in a very inopportune moment."
"Why I am talking now is that I feel like I can be a force for good as far as having open, honest conversations," he told People in an interview published March 20. "We can all disagree about a lot of things. We can disagree about politics, we can disagree about who hosts Jeopardy!. We can disagree about liking a final Jeopardy! clue. And we should. But I felt like there was a this rush to judgment, and a lot of people got joy in saying, 'I got you.'"
Richards—who previously hosted Beauty & the Geek, Million Dollar Pyramid and Divided—also shut down speculation that he had promoted himself. Instead, he had always assumed current host Ken Jennings would be Trebek's successor.
So, when other show executives threw his hat in the ring—along with guest hosts such as Katie Couric, Aaron Rodgers and Robin Roberts—as the permanent emcee, Richards said, "No one was more surprised than me."
"They told me, 'We'd like you to be the host of the syndicated version of Jeopardy!'" he recalled. "I paused, and said, 'Oh wow. Thank you. What's the media plan?' Because I was very concerned that this was going to be scrutinized as closely as a Presidential election. There was widespread belief that whoever got the job first wouldn't make it."
Looking back, Richards understood that "it looked like I had gone into a room and picked myself."
"And that's not what happens in television," he clarified, "but I understood that that's what the outward appearances were."
So, what does he think of Jennings at the podium? As Richards put it, "I always thought Ken was the guy."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (3)
Related
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Enhance! HORNK! Artificial intelligence can now ID individual geese
- Geaux Rocket Ride is second horse based at Santa Anita to die in lead up to Breeders' Cup
- Low World Series TV ratings in 2023 continue 7-year downward trend
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- The 9 biggest November games that will alter the College Football Playoff race
- Freeform’s 25 Days of Christmas Schedule Revealed
- Apple announces new MacBook Pros, chips at 'Scary Fast' event
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Philadelphia prison escape unnoticed because of unrepaired fence, sleeping guard, prosecutor says
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- 'Mean Girls' stars Lindsay Lohan, Amanda Seyfried and Lacey Chabert reunite in Walmart ad
- Utah teen found dead in family's corn maze with rope around neck after apparent accident
- WayV reflects on youth and growth in second studio album: 'It's a new start for us'
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Attorney says van der Sloot’s confession about Natalee Holloway’s murder was ‘chilling’
- ‘A curse to be a parent in Gaza': More than 3,600 Palestinian children killed in just 3 weeks of war
- Trial to determine if Trump can be barred from offices reaches far back in history for answers
Recommendation
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Why Kim Kardashian Says North West Prefers Living With Dad Kanye West
Buybuy Baby is back: Retailer to reopen 11 stores after Bed, Bath & Beyond bankruptcy
Utah teen found dead in family's corn maze with rope around neck after apparent accident
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Toyota recalls nearly 1.9M RAV4s to fix batteries that can move during hard turns
Rare all-female NASA spacewalk: Watch livestream from International Space Station
European privacy officials widen ban on Meta’s behavioral advertising to most of Europe