Current:Home > ContactTradeEdge-McDonald’s franchisee agrees to pay $4.4M after manager sexually assaulted teen -Prime Capital Blueprint
TradeEdge-McDonald’s franchisee agrees to pay $4.4M after manager sexually assaulted teen
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 20:16:17
A franchisee of fast food giant McDonald’s has agreed to pay a teenage girl $4.4 million to settle her lawsuit over having been sexually assaulted by a Pittsburgh-area restaurant manager who was a registered sex offender,TradeEdge the victim’s lawyers announced on Monday.
The deal between the girl, who was 14 at the time of the 2021 sexual assault, and McDonald’s franchisee Rice Enterprises LLC, compensates her for the attack by Walter A. Garner in the restaurant bathroom.
At the time, Garner, now 44, had served prison time and was listed on the Megan’s Law website for sexually assaulting a 10-year-old girl.
Garner pleaded guilty in 2021 to statutory sexual assault, indecent assault and other charges for the McDonald’s assault and is serving a state prison sentence. A message seeking comment was left Monday for the public defenders who represented him in that case and in the 2003 case that was resolved with a guilty plea to aggravated indecent assault and other charges.
The lawsuit helped prompt an October 2021 strike by workers in 12 U.S. cities, an effort to get the company to better address what they described as an ongoing problem of sexual harassment and violence in McDonald’s stores.
Through a McDonald’s spokesperson, Rice Enterprises said it fired Garner as soon as they learned of the allegations against him in 2021.
“Since then, we’ve redoubled our efforts to ensure a positive and respectful experience for all employees in our restaurants, and our organization maintains a zero-tolerance policy for harassment of any kind,” Rice Enterprises said in the emailed statement. The company said it puts new hires through “safe and respectful workplace training” and has enhanced security.
The employee was 14 when she began working at a McDonald’s in Bethel Park in October 2020. She said she had no training on sexual harassment or how to report it. Garner made sexual comments to her and touched her inappropriately before the bathroom sexual assault in mid-February 2021, according to the lawsuit.
Garner was arrested in April 2021 after another McDonald’s employee told administrators at her school about his behavior and police were called, the lawsuit said.
Lawyer Alan Perer, who represents the girl and her parents in the Allegheny County civil litigation, said he questions how a sex offender was hired to manage girls of high school age.
“For a company to allow a known sex offender to have access to and control over young teens turns America’s best first job into a nightmare for those teens,” Perer said in a release.
McDonald’s USA called the girl’s assault deeply troubling, issuing a statement that said violence and sexual harassment are completely unacceptable. The company said it is committed to providing franchisees with training resources to help prevent harassment.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- 'Pumpkins on steroids': California contest draws gourds the size of a Smart car
- 2 dead, 35 injured after chemical leak of hydrogen sulfide at Pemex Deer Park oil refinery
- MLB spring training facilities spared extensive damage from Hurricane Milton
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Top Celebrity Halloween Costume of 2024 Revealed
- NY prosecutors want to combine Harvey Weinstein’s criminal cases into a single trial
- Stormzy Shares Kiss With Victoria Monét 3 Months After Maya Jama Breakup
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Pregnant Elle King Shares Update on Her Relationship With Dad Rob Schneider
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Arkansas dad shoots, kills man found with his missing 14-year-old daughter, authorities say
- North Carolina football's Tylee Craft dies at 23 after cancer battle
- Boeing will lay off 10% of its employees as a strike by factory workers cripples airplane production
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- ABC will air 6 additional ‘Monday Night Football’ games starting this week with Bills-Jets
- As 49ers' elevating force, George Kittle feels 'urgency' to capitalize on Super Bowl window
- Prepare for Hurricane Milton: with these tech tips for natural disasters
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Kylie Jenner Shares Proof Big Girl Stormi Webster Grew Up Lightning Fast
Christopher Reeve’s kids wanted to be ‘honest, raw and vulnerable’ in new documentary ‘Super/Man’
A hiker dies in a fall at Arches National Park in Utah
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
Why Remi Bader Stopped Posting on Social Media Amid Battle With Depression
Kylie Jenner Shares Proof Big Girl Stormi Webster Grew Up Lightning Fast
Wisconsin regulators file complaint against judge who left court to arrest a hospitalized defendant