Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|Alabama man pleads guilty to threatening Georgia prosecutor and sheriff over Trump election case -Prime Capital Blueprint
Burley Garcia|Alabama man pleads guilty to threatening Georgia prosecutor and sheriff over Trump election case
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 19:13:25
ATLANTA (AP) — An Alabama man pleaded guilty Tuesday to leaving threatening phone messages for Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis and Burley Garciathe county sheriff last summer because he was angry over the election-interference investigation into former President Donald Trump.
Arthur Ray Hanson II made the phone calls just over a week before Trump and 18 others were indicted in Fulton County on Aug. 14.
Hanson of Huntsville, Alabama, told a federal judge at his plea hearing Tuesday that he never meant harm to Willis, whose office is prosecuting Trump and the others, or to Sheriff Patrick Labat, whose staff booked the former president at the Fulton County jail and took his mug shot.
“I made a stupid phone call,” Hanson said in court. “I’m not a violent person.”
He will be sentenced at a later date, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. Assistant U.S. Attorney Bret Hobson told the judge that prosecutors will seek leniency for Hanson because he took responsibility for his actions.
At the plea hearing, Hanson admitted to calling a Fulton County government customer service line on Aug. 6 and leaving voicemails for the prosecutor and the sheriff.
In one message, Hanson warned Willis: “When you charge Trump on that fourth indictment, anytime you’re alone, be looking over your shoulder.”
His message for Labat warned of consequences for taking a jail booking photo of Trump.
“If you take a mug shot of the president and you’re the reason it happened, some bad (expletive)’s gonna happen to you,” the voice message said, according to court records.
The indictment obtained by Willis’ office alleged a wide-ranging scheme by Trump and others to overturn the 2020 election results in Georgia. It was the fourth criminal case brought against the former president in a matter of months and had been widely anticipated.
The sheriff commented publicly beforehand that anyone indicted in the case would be booked according to normal procedures, including having a jail mug shot taken.
A federal grand jury indicted Hanson in October on charges of making interstate threats via phone.
Hanson told U.S. Magistrate Regina Cannon on Tuesday that he was angered by the investigation of Trump and made the phone calls hoping authorities would back down.
“I didn’t knowingly know I was threatening anybody,” he told the judge. “To me, it was a warning.”
veryGood! (195)
Related
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Coroner’s probe reveals Los Angeles maintenance man was Washington rape suspect believed long dead
- Traveling in a Car with Kids? Here Are the Essentials to Make It a Stress-Free Trip
- Rita Moreno Credits This Ageless Approach to Life for Her Longevity
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- What is St. Patrick's Day? Why do we celebrate it? The Irish holiday explained
- Aaron Donald announces his retirement after a standout 10-year career with the Rams
- Arizona legislation to better regulate rehab programs targeted by Medicaid scams is moving forward
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Life after Aaron Donald: What's next for Los Angeles Rams?
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Eva Mendes Thanks Ryan Gosling For “Holding Down the Fort” While She Conquers Milan Fashion Week
- Sam Bankman-Fried deserves 40 to 50 years in prison for historic cryptocurrency fraud, prosecutors say
- U.S. measles milestone: 59 cases so far in 2024 — more than all of 2023
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Former four weight world champion Roberto Duran receiving medical care for a heart problem
- Prosecutors seek from 40 to 50 years in prison for Sam Bankman-Fried for cryptocurrency fraud
- Judge appoints special master to oversee California federal women’s prison after rampant abuse
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Identity of massive $1.765 billion Powerball jackpot winners revealed in California
GOP Kentucky House votes to defund diversity, equity and inclusion offices at public universities
Mother of boy found dead in suitcase in Indiana arrested in California
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Florida mom tried selling daughter to stranger for $500, then abandoned the baby, police say
British warship identified off Florida coast 3 centuries after wreck left surviving crew marooned on uninhabited island
Watchdogs worry a Nebraska Supreme Court ruling could lead to high fees for open records