Current:Home > MyEthermac|Jurors weigh fate of Afghan refugee charged with murder in a case that shocked Muslim community -Prime Capital Blueprint
Ethermac|Jurors weigh fate of Afghan refugee charged with murder in a case that shocked Muslim community
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 14:20:02
ALBUQUERQUE,Ethermac N.M. (AP) — Prosecutors on Friday wrapped up their case against an Afghan refugee on charges that he gunned down a man in 2022 in what turned out to be the first of three ambush-style killings involving members of the Muslim community in New Mexico’s largest city.
Muhammad Syed, who settled in the U.S. several years ago with his family, quickly became the main suspect after authorities issued photographs of a vehicle believed to be involved in the shootings. He was taken into custody after being pulled over in the vehicle more than 100 miles (160 kilometers) from Albuquerque.
He told authorities at the time he was concerned about the killings and was on his way to Texas to find a new home for his family. He denied involvement in the killings.
Syed, who speaks Pashto and required the help of translators throughout the trial, has remained in custody without bond since his arrest in August 2022. He is charged with three counts of murder and four charges of tampering with evidence.
Syed, 53, faces separate trials for each victim, the first being 41-year-old Aftab Hussein. The other trials will happen in the coming months.
When asked by the judge Friday whether he wished to testify, Syed stood up and adjusted his headphones as a translator relayed the question. He choked back tears and began to cry. He eventually said in Pashto that he would reserve his right to remain silent.
The defense called no witnesses, and prosecutors did not address a motive or discuss any interactions that Syed might have had with Hussein.
Jurors were scheduled to begin their deliberations Monday morning.
Prosecutors detailed the night of the shooting: It was around 10 p.m. when Hussein pulled up to his apartment complex and parked. He had just stepped out of his vehicle with keys still in hand when gunfire erupted.
“He stood no chance,” prosecutor Jordan Machin said during closing arguments, alleging that Syed was lying in wait and that he continued to shoot as Hussein was on the ground.
Officers found Hussein with multiple wounds that stretched from his neck down to his feet. Investigators testified that some of the high-caliber rounds went through his body and pierced the car.
While questioning a firearms and ballistic expert with the police department, Deputy District Attorney David Waymire pulled out a rifle that had been seized during a search of Syed’s home. It had been found under the defendant’s bed. Waymire also showed jurors bags of spent casings and bullet fragments collected from the scene.
In a yellow envelop was a bullet that had been retrieved by medical examiners from Hussein’s body.
The expert said testing determined the casings and projectiles were fired from Syed’s rifle.
Cellphone records also indicated that Syed was at the scene about 20 minutes before the shooting and that it appeared he left right after and headed home, prosecutors said. They also introduced as evidence a note in Syed’s phone that referred to testing the rifle on the date that Hussein was killed.
Previous court filings described Syed as having a violent history, none of which was mentioned in court. His public defenders have argued that previous allegations of domestic violence never resulted in convictions.
Defense attorneys attempted to introduce doubt throughout the trial, saying prosecutors had no evidence that Syed was the one who pulled the trigger. They suggested other people who lived in Syed’s home also had access to his phone, his vehicle and the rifle.
They also argued there were no fingerprints or DNA collected during the investigation that would implicate Syed.
Megan Mitsunaga, one of Syed’s attorneys, told jurors during closing arguments that her client was innocent and that investigators can sometimes get “tunnel vision” once they seize on a suspect and stop looking at evidence that doesn’t support that person’s guilt. She suggested there were gaps that should leave jurors with reasonable doubt.
“How is that fair to Mr. Syed, how is that fair to this community to have law enforcement pick and chose which evidence they want you to hear about?” she said.
Machin said it was Syed who tried to flee to Texas under the cover of darkness a day after authorities went to the public for help in identifying a suspect. She said the license plate and hub caps on Syed’s car had been changed and that he had his phone — which was password protected — with him when he was stopped.
The other two victims include Muhammad Afzaal Hussain, a 27-year-old urban planner who was gunned down Aug. 1 while taking his evening walk, and Naeem Hussain, who was shot four days later as he sat in his vehicle outside a refugee resettlement agency on the city’s south side.
Family members of the victims and other community members have said they are still struggling to understand what was behind the killings.
veryGood! (3282)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Democrats eye Florida’s abortion vote as chance to flip the state. History says it’ll be a challenge
- 1 person hospitalized after dorm shooting places North Carolina university on lockdown
- Kiernan Shipka Speaks Out on Death of Sabrina Costar Chance Perdomo
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- California enters spring with vital snowpack above average for a second year
- Miranda Lambert, Billie Eilish, Nicki Minaj submit letter to AI developers to honor artists’ rights
- Tribes blast South Dakota governor’s claim that leaders are benefitting from drug cartels
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Trump sues two Trump Media co-founders, seeking to void their stock in the company
Ranking
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Mother of boy found dead in suitcase in southern Indiana ordered held without bond
- Kristen Doute Reacts to Being Called Racist Over Her Vanderpump Rules Firing
- Video shows suspect trying to outrun police on horseback before being caught
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- When does the final season of 'Star Trek: Discovery' come out? Release date, cast, where to watch
- 5-year-old killed, teenager injured in ATV crash in Kentucky: 'Vehicle lost control'
- Embattled University of Arizona president plans 2026 resignation in midst of financial crisis
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Saddle up Cowgirl! These Are the Best Western Belts You’ll Want to Pair With Everything
13 workers trapped in collapsed gold mine declared dead in Russia
Big Time Rush's Kendall Schmidt and Wife Mica von Turkovich Welcome Their First Baby
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Voters reject Jackson County stadium measure for Kansas City Chiefs, Royals
Drawing nears for $1.09 billion Powerball jackpot that is 9th largest in US history
Yellowstone Actor Mo Brings Plenty’s Nephew Missing: Costar Cole Hauser and More Ask for Help
Tags
Like
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Tens of thousands of Israelis stage largest protest since war began as pressure on Netanyahu mounts
- Caitlin Clark’s path to stardom paved by pioneering players who changed trajectory for women’s hoops