Current:Home > MyNew York Times report says Israel knew about Hamas attack over a year in advance -Prime Capital Blueprint
New York Times report says Israel knew about Hamas attack over a year in advance
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:34:46
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel’s military was aware of Hamas ' plan to launch an attack on Israeli soil over a year before the devastating Oct. 7 operation that killed hundreds of people, The New York Times reported Friday.
It was the latest in a series of signs that top Israeli commanders either ignored or played down warnings that Hamas was plotting the attack, which triggered a war against the Islamic militant group that has devastated the Gaza Strip.
The Times said Israeli officials were in possession of a 40-page battle plan, code-named “Jericho Wall,” that detailed a hypothetical Hamas attack on southern Israeli communities.
It was unclear how the document was obtained by Israel, but the article said that it had been translated — indicating it may have been in Arabic and directly intercepted from Hamas.
The Israeli military declined to comment on the report, saying it was “currently focused on eliminating the threat from the terrorist organization Hamas.”
“Questions of this kind will be looked into in a later stage,” it said.
The document was seen by many Israeli military and intelligence officials, the report said, though it was unclear if Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu or other top leaders had seen it.
The document predicted that Hamas would bombard Israel with rockets, use drones to disable Israel’s security and surveillance abilities at the border wall, and take over southern communities and military bases. Another 2016 Israeli defense memo obtained by the Times said Hamas intended to take hostages back to Gaza.
The Oct. 7 attack — in which 1,200 people were killed and 240 people were abducted and taken to Gaza — would uncannily mirror the one outlined in the battle plan. But Israeli officials had brushed off the plan, the report said, dismissing it as “aspirational” rather than something that could practically take place, the report said.
The report comes amid public fury toward the government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for failing to prevent an attack that appears to have been preceded by numerous warning signs.
The attack was planned in plain sight. A month before the assault, Hamas posted a video to social media showing fighters using explosives to blast through a replica of the border gate, sweep in on pickup trucks and then move building by building through a full-scale reconstruction of an Israeli town, firing automatic weapons at human-silhouetted paper targets.
In the video, the militants destroyed mock-ups of the wall’s concrete towers and a communications antenna, just as they would do for real on Oct. 7.
Adding to public outrage over the military’s apparent negligence, the Israeli media has reported that military officials dismissed warnings from female border spotters who warned that they were witnessing Hamas’ preparations for the attack. According to the media reports, the young women reported seeing Hamas drones and attempts to knock out Israeli border cameras in the months leading up to the attack.
Netanyahu has stopped short of apologizing for the attack, and has said that determining blame will have to come after the war is waged. Critics say he is attempting to escape responsibility for myriad intelligence failures leading to the deadliest day in Israeli history.
veryGood! (93)
Related
- Small twin
- Fantasia Barrino on her emotional journey back to 'Color Purple': 'I'm not the same woman'
- Intimidated by Strength Training? Here's How I Got Over My Fear of the Weight Room
- First endangered Florida panther death of 2024 reported after 13 killed last year
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- NYC issues vacate orders to stabilize historic Jewish sites following discovery of 60-foot tunnel
- Peeps unveils new flavors for Easter 2024, including Icee Blue Raspberry and Rice Krispies
- Review: 'True Detective: Night Country' is so good, it might be better than Season 1
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Isabella Strahan Receives Support From Twin Sister Sophia Amid Brain Cancer Diagnosis
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- See Marisa Abela as Amy Winehouse in first trailer for biopic 'Back to Black'
- Gov. Brian Kemp seeks to draw political contrasts in his State of the State speech
- Learning How to Cook? You Need These Kitchen Essentials in 2024
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- US consumer inflation pressures may have eased further in December
- For Dry January, we ask a music critic for great songs about not drinking
- Tennessee governor unveils legislation targeting use of artificial intelligence in music
Recommendation
Small twin
Taiwan presidential hopeful Hou promises to boost island’s defense and restart talks with China
Fewer police officers died in the line of duty in 2023, but 'scary number' were shot: Study
Who should Alabama hire to replace Nick Saban? Start with Kalen DeBoer of Washington
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
Tacoma bagel shop owner killed in attempted robbery while vacationing in New Orleans
Video shows Virginia police save driver from fiery wreck after fleeing officers
What do you think of social media these days? We want to hear your stories