Current:Home > ScamsFastexy Exchange|Assault claims roil Iditarod sled dog race as 2 top mushers are disqualified, then 1 reinstated -Prime Capital Blueprint
Fastexy Exchange|Assault claims roil Iditarod sled dog race as 2 top mushers are disqualified, then 1 reinstated
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:18:04
ANCHORAGE,Fastexy Exchange Alaska (AP) — Claims of violence against women are roiling the world’s most famous sled dog race — Alaska’s Iditarod — with officials disqualifying two top mushers this week and then quickly reinstating one of them on Friday, days before the start.
The upheaval began last week, when the Iditarod Trail Committee, the race’s governing body, sent an email to all competitors saying it had been informed of several accusations concerning violence against and abuse of women within the mushing community.
“The ITC Board cannot tolerate such conduct by anyone affiliated with the Iditarod,” the email said.
On Monday, the committee held an emergency meeting and disqualified the 2023 rookie of the year, Eddie Burke Jr. Burke had been facing single felony and misdemeanor assault charges after his then-girlfriend told police in May 2022 that he had strangled her to the point she almost lost consciousness, according to the Anchorage Daily News.
The committee offered no explanation of Burke’s disqualification beyond noting a rule that mushers “will be held to a high standard of personal and professional conduct.”
Two days later, the State of Alaska dismissed the charges because the former girlfriend declined to participate in the case, Alaska Department of Law spokesperson Patty Sullivan said Friday in an email to The Associated Press.
“After a thorough review of the evidence in this investigation, the Department of Law determined that it would be unable to prove the assault charges beyond a reasonable doubt to a trial jury,” she wrote.
On Friday, Burke was reinstated. He did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment.
“Additional information was provided to the Iditarod Trail Committee Board today regarding Eddie Burke Jr.,” the committee said in a news release. “Upon reviewing this information, the Board voted to reinstate Mr. Burke as a competitor in the 2024 Iditarod.”
In the meantime, though, the committee on Thursday night disqualified 2022 champion Brent Sass — again, without offering any details about why. No criminal cases against Sass appear in online Alaska court records.
“I am beyond disappointed with the decision the Iditarod has reached to disqualify me,” said a statement posted Friday to the Facebook page of Sass’ kennel. “The anonymous accusations that have been made against me are completely false.”
It was not immediately clear what accusations Sass was referring to. But on Friday, an Anchorage attorney, Caitlin Shortell, issued a statement saying, “More than one Alaskan has sought legal advice and representation from our law firm based on their reports of sexual assault by a dog musher who was disqualified today by the Iditarod” — an apparent reference to Sass.
“Our clients retained counsel and sought to remain anonymous because of the high risk that disclosure of their identities and experiences would subject them to retraumatization, invasion of privacy, litigation, and potential violence by their assailant or others,” the statement says.
This year’s 1,000-mile (1,609-kilometer) race across the Alaska wilderness begins March 2 with the ceremonial start in Anchorage. The competitive start comes the next day, about 75 miles (121 kilometers) north of Anchorage.
Sass’ removal leaves 39 mushers remaining in this year’s field. Last year, 33 mushers started, the fewest since the Iditarod was first held in 1973.
It’s not the first time Sass has been disqualified from the Iditarod.
In 2015, he was removed from the race after officials found he had an iPod Touch with him on the trail, a violation of race rules barring two-way communication devices. Even though the iPod Touch was not a phone, he could have communicated with others when it connected to the Internet, officials said.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- New Google alert will tell you when you appear in search, help remove personal information
- Usme leads Colombia to a 1-0 win over Jamaica and a spot in the Women’s World Cup quarterfinals
- What could break next?
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Daniel Penny defense fund raises millions -- and alarm bells for some
- Book excerpt: Somebody's Fool by Richard Russo
- Winfrey, Maddow and Schwarzenegger among those helping NYC’s 92nd Street Y mark 150th anniversary
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Elon Musk says his fight against Mark Zuckerberg will stream on X — but Zuck claps back
Ranking
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Australian police charge 19 men with child sex abuse after FBI tips about dark web sharing
- Former White Sox reliever Keynan Middleton blasts team's 'no rules' culture, per report
- NFL training camp notebook: Teams still trying to get arms around new fair-catch rule
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Month-old walrus rescued 4 miles inland: Watch him get 'round-the-clock' care and cuddles
- 'Heartstopper' bursts with young queer love, cartoon hearts and fireworks
- Month-old walrus rescued 4 miles inland: Watch him get 'round-the-clock' care and cuddles
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Heading to the Eras tour? Don't bring these items to the concert
Horoscopes Today, August 7, 2023
Francia Raísa Shares Her Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Diagnosis
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Nearly all teens on Idaho YMCA camp bus that crashed have been released to their families
Powerful storms killed 2 people and left more than 1 million customers without power
Tory Lanez sentencing in Megan Thee Stallion shooting case postponed: Live updates