Current:Home > InvestAlec Baldwin Pleads Not Guilty to Involuntary Manslaughter in Rust Shooting of Halyna Hutchins -Prime Capital Blueprint
Alec Baldwin Pleads Not Guilty to Involuntary Manslaughter in Rust Shooting of Halyna Hutchins
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 15:41:05
Alec Baldwin has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of their film Rust.
The actor, who previously denied any wrongdoing in connection with her 2021 death, entered his plea in a Feb. 23 filing at a court in Santa Fe, N.M., more than three weeks after he and set armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed were formally charged with involuntary manslaughter.
The armorer's lawyer told The New York Times she planned to plead not guilty at a virtual hearing scheduled Feb. 24. Previously, assistant director David Halls, signed a plea deal over the charge of negligent use of a deadly weapon in connection with the fatal shooting and was given six months of probation.
The Santa Fe County district attorney's office had alleged in a Feb. 7 statement that that Hutchins "died because of gross negligence and a reckless disregard for safety on the Rust film set." The 42-year-old was killed by a lead projectile that was fired from a vintage .45 Colt revolver used as a prop, which Baldwin had been holding while rehearsing for the movie.
He told ABC News in 2021 that while he cocked the gun, "The trigger wasn't pulled. I didn't pull the trigger."
The Departed actor's not guilty plea comes less than a week after prosecutors dropped a five-year gun enhancement attached to his and Gutierrez-Reed's charges, following a filing from his attorneys. This reduces any possible prison sentences, should they be convicted, to a maximum of 18 months in prison, according to The New York Times.
In addition to their criminal charges, Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed are also named in a civil lawsuit filed by Hutchins' Ukraine-based parents and sister, who allege battery, negligence, intentional infliction of emotional distress and loss of consortium in connection with the cinematographer's death. The actor and armorer have not commented on the civil case.
Baldwin had previously been named in a wrongful death lawsuit that Hutchins' husband Matthew Hutchins, father of their son Andros, 10, filed in 2022. The case was dismissed when without any admission of wrongdoing after the parties reached a settlement.
Matthew later said in a statement that filming on Rust will resume with himself as an executive producer. Earlier this month, it was announced production on the film would begin again in the spring, with Baldwin in tow.
"The production will continue to utilize union crew members and will bar any use of working weapons and any form of ammunition," a press release stated. "Live ammunition is—and always was—prohibited on set."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (15333)
Related
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- `Worse than people can imagine’: Medicaid `unwinding’ breeds chaos in states
- Minnesota appeals court protects felon voting rights after finding a pro-Trump judge overstepped
- South Carolina has lethal injection drug but justices want more info before restarting executions
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Suspect charged with killing Tupac Shakur loses his lawyer day before arraignment in Vegas
- Officials: No immediate threat to public after freight cars derail from tracks near Detroit
- Will Smith, Jada Pinkett Smith and the dangers of oversharing intimate details on social media
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- A New York City lawmaker accused of bringing a gun to a pro-Palestinian protest is arraigned
Ranking
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- 2 more killed as Russian artillery keeps on battering southern Ukraine’s Kherson region
- Bruce Bochy is only manager in MLB history to win title with team he beat in World Series
- Pakistan’s parliament elections delayed till early February as political and economic crises deepen
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- US announces $440 million to install solar panels on low-income homes in Puerto Rico
- Takeaways from AP’s reporting on an American beef trader’s links to Amazon deforestation
- Connecticut police officer who stunned shoplifting suspect 3 times charged with assault
Recommendation
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Urban Meyer says Michigan football sign-stealing allegations are 'hard for me to believe'
A pilot accused of threatening to shoot a commercial airline captain is an Air Force Reserve officer
Rangers' Will Smith wins three consecutive World Series titles with three different teams
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
Treasury Secretary Yellen calls for more US-Latin America trade, in part to lessen Chinese influence
Officers fatally shoot knife-wielding man at a popular California restaurant after machete attack
38th annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction: How to watch the 2023 ceremony on Disney+