Current:Home > StocksRekubit-Over 93,000 Armenians have now fled disputed enclave -Prime Capital Blueprint
Rekubit-Over 93,000 Armenians have now fled disputed enclave
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 13:51:12
LONDON -- Over 93,Rekubit000 ethnic Armenian refugees have fled Nagorno-Karabakh as of Friday, local authorities said, meaning 75% of the disputed enclave's entire population has now left in less than a week.
Tens of thousands of ethnic Armenians have been streaming out of Nagorno-Karabakh following Azerbaijan's successful military operation last week that restored its control over the breakaway region. It's feared the whole population will likely leave in the coming days, in what Armenia has condemned as "ethnic cleansing."
Families packed into cars and trucks, with whatever belongings they can carry, have been arriving in Armenia after Azerbaijan opened the only road out of the enclave on Sunday. Those fleeing have said they are unwilling to live under Azerbaijan's rule, fearing they will face persecution.
"There will be no more Armenians left in Nagorno-Karabakh in the coming days," Armenia's prime minister Nikol Pashinyan said in a televised government meeting on Thursday. "This is a direct act of ethnic cleansing," he said, adding that international statements condemning it were important but without concrete actions they were just "creating moral statistics for history."
The United States and other western countries have expressed concern about the displacement of the Armenian population from the enclave, urging Azerbaijan to allow international access.
Armenians have lived in Nagorno-Karabakh for centuries but the enclave is recognised internationally as part of Azerbaijan. It has been at the center of a bloody conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia since the late 1980s when the two former Soviet countries fought a war amid the collapse of the USSR.
MORE: Death toll rises in blast that killed dozens of Armenian refugees
That war left ethnic Armenian separatists in control of most of Nagorno-Karabakh and also saw hundreds of thousands of Azerbaijani civilians driven out. For three decades, an unrecognised Armenian state, called the Republic of Artsakh, existed in the enclave, while international diplomatic efforts to resolve the conflict went nowhere.
But in 2020, Azerbaijan reopened the conflict, decisively defeating Armenia and forcing it to abandon its claims to Nagorno-Karabakh. Russia brokered a truce and deployed peacekeeping forces, which remain there.
Last week, after blockading the enclave for 9 months, Azerbaijan launched a new military offensive to complete the defeat of the ethnic Armenian authorities, forcing them to capitulate in just two days.
The leader of the ethnic Armenian's unrecognised state, the Republic of Artsakh, on Thursday announced its dissolution, saying it would "cease to exist" by the end of the year.
Azerbaijan's authoritarian president Ilham Aliyev has claimed the Karabakh Armenians' rights will be protected but he has previously promoted a nationalist narrative denying Armenians have a long history in the region. In areas recaptured by his forces in 2020, some Armenian cultural sites have been destroyed and defaced.
Some Azerbaijanis driven from their homes during the war in the 1990s have returned to areas recaptured by Azerbaijan since 2020. Aliyev on Thursday said by the end of 2023, 5,500 displaced Azerbaijanis would return to their homes in Nagorno-Karabakh, according to the Russian state news agency TASS.
Azerbaijan on Friday detained another former senior Karabakh Armenian official on Thursday as he tried to leave the enclave with other refugees. Azerbaijan's security services detained Levon Mnatsakanyan, who was commander of the Armenian separatists' armed forces between 2015-2018. Earlier this week, Azerbaijan arrested a former leader of the unrecognised state, Ruben Vardanyan, taking him to Baku and charging him with terrorism offenses.
veryGood! (88)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Rick Pitino rips St. John's 'unathletic' players after loss to Seton Hall
- Some video game actors are letting AI clone their voices. They just don’t want it to replace them
- You Know You Love Every Time Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds Trolled Each Other
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- 'True Detective: Night Country' tweaks the formula with great chemistry
- 75th George Polk Awards honor coverage of Middle East and Ukraine wars, Supreme Court and Elon Musk
- What does 'oomf' mean? Add the indirect term to your digital vocab.
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- 75th George Polk Awards honor coverage of Middle East and Ukraine wars, Supreme Court and Elon Musk
Ranking
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- 2024 BAFTA Film Awards: See the Complete Winners List
- 2024 BAFTA Film Awards: See Every Star on the Red Carpet
- Sizzling 62 at Riv: Hideki Matsuyama smiling again after winning 2024 Genesis Invitational
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- NBC anchor Kate Snow announces departure from Sunday edition of 'NBC Nightly News'
- Oscar-nommed doc: A 13-year-old and her dad demand justice after she is raped
- Court video of Navalny in Russian prison day before reported death seems to show Putin critic in good health
Recommendation
Bodycam footage shows high
Major New England airports to make tens of millions of dollars in improvements
Sizzling 62 at Riv: Hideki Matsuyama smiling again after winning 2024 Genesis Invitational
NCAA men's basketball tournament top 16 reveal: Purdue, UConn, Houston and Arizona lead
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Book excerpt: True North by Andrew J. Graff
Michael Strahan's daughter Isabella shares health update after chemo: 'Everything hurts'
Paul McCartney's long-lost Höfner bass returned after more than 50 years