Current:Home > Contact4 Las Vegas teens plead guilty in classmate’s deadly beating as part of plea deal -Prime Capital Blueprint
4 Las Vegas teens plead guilty in classmate’s deadly beating as part of plea deal
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:40:57
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Four Las Vegas teenagers pleaded guilty Tuesday to voluntary manslaughter in the fatal beating of their high school classmate, as part of a deal with prosecutors that kept them from being tried as adults.
The teens originally were charged in January as adults with second-degree murder and conspiracy in connection with the November death of 17-year-old Jonathan Lewis Jr. The attack was captured on cellphone video and shared widely across social media.
Each teen faces incarceration at a juvenile detention center for an undetermined length of time, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.
Minors prosecuted in the juvenile court system in Clark County, which includes Las Vegas, do not face traditional jail or prison sentences and instead are released from custody after they complete rehabilitation programs, according to Brigid Duffy, director of the juvenile division of the Clark County district attorney’s office.
The Associated Press is not naming the teens because they were younger than 18 at the time of the Nov. 1, 2023, attack.
Defense lawyer Robert Draskovich, representing one of the four teens, said after court Tuesday that the deal “was a very fair resolution.”
Lewis’ mother, Mellisa Ready, said she does not agree with the plea deal.
“There’s literally no one being held accountable with true punishment for my son’s murder,” she told the newspaper Tuesday. “It’s disgusting.”
In a statement to the AP last month after terms of the deal were made public, District Attorney Steve Wolfson’s office defended the resolution of the case as both thoughtfully addressing the egregious facts and potential legal challenges that prosecutors would have faced at trial.
The statement said the juvenile court system also is better equipped to offer the young defendants resources for rehabilitation.
In Nevada, a teenager facing a murder charge can be charged as an adult if they were 13 or older when the crime occurred.
Authorities have said the students agreed to meet in an alleyway near Rancho High School to fight over a vape pen and wireless headphones that had been stolen from Lewis’ friend. Lewis died from his injuries six days later.
A homicide detective who investigated the case told the grand jury that cellphone and surveillance video showed Lewis taking off his sweatshirt and throwing a punch at one of the students, according to court transcripts made public in January. The suspects then pulled Lewis to the ground and began punching, kicking and stomping on him, the detective said.
A student and a resident in the area carried Lewis, who was badly beaten and unconscious, back to campus after the fight, according to the transcripts. School staff called 911 and tried to help him.
veryGood! (294)
Related
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Transform Your Bathroom Into a Relaxing Spa With These Must-Have Products
- Shohei Ohtani 50/50 home run ball headed to auction. How much will it be sold for?
- Court throws out manslaughter charge against clerk in Detroit gas station shooting
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Hurricane Helene cranking up, racing toward Florida landfall today: Live updates
- Judges set to hear arguments in Donald Trump’s appeal of civil fraud verdict
- Will Hurricane Helene impact the Georgia vs. Alabama football game? Here's what we know
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- The Masked Singer's First Season 12 Celebrity Reveal Is a Total Touchdown
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Derrick Rose, a No. 1 overall pick in 2008 and the 2011 NBA MVP, announces retirement
- Oklahoma set to execute Emmanuel Littlejohn in beloved store owner's murder. What to know
- '7th Heaven' stars address Stephen Collins' 'inexcusable' sexual abuse on rewatch podcast
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Catherine Zeta-Jones Bares All in Nude Photo for Michael Douglas’ Birthday
- Fantasy football rankings for Week 4: Starters, sleepers, injury updates and more
- The Masked Singer's First Season 12 Celebrity Reveal Is a Total Touchdown
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Opinion: UNLV's QB mess over NIL first of many to come until athletes are made employees
2 hurt in IED explosion at Santa Barbara County courthouse, 1 person in custody
Florida power outage map: Track outages as Hurricane Helene approaches from Gulf of Mexico
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Best Gifts for Studio Ghibli Fans in 2024: Inspired Picks from Howl’s Moving Castle, Spirited Away & More
A Nebraska officer who fatally shot an unarmed Black man will be fired, police chief says
Free COVID tests are back. Here’s how to order a test to your home