Current:Home > NewsCalifornia school district agrees to pay $27 million to settle suit over death of 13-year-old assaulted by fellow students -Prime Capital Blueprint
California school district agrees to pay $27 million to settle suit over death of 13-year-old assaulted by fellow students
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:34:49
A Southern California school district has agreed to pay $27 million to settle a lawsuit by the family of an eighth grade boy who died after being assaulted by two other students at a middle school four years ago.
The settlement with the Moreno Valley Unified School District was announced Wednesday by lawyers for relatives of 13-year-old Diego Stolz, who was sucker-punched at Landmark Middle School in September 2019.
One of the teens struck the teenager in the head from behind and he fell, hitting his head against a pillar. The teens then continued punching Stolz, who died nine days later from a brain injury. The attack was recorded on video.
Dave Ring, an attorney for the Stolz family, said the family told the school that their nephew had been bullied and punched on several occasions, CBS Los Angeles reported. The administration promised the family the bullies would be suspended from the school if nothing happened, the station reported.
Moreno Valley Unified pays family $27 million for the death of Diego Stolz https://t.co/BpffD8U0M4
— KCAL News (@kcalnews) September 14, 2023
"The Friday before Diego was killed, Diego and his adult sister went and met with the assistant principal," said Ring. "They never did anything. They just put it at the bottom of their stack and said we'll deal with it later."
Ring said the boy's death would have been preventable if there was an anti-bullying policy in place at the school about 65 miles east of Los Angeles.
"Schools need to realize that bullying can never be tolerated and that any complaints of bullying and assault must be taken seriously," Ring said in a news release.
School officials will not be commenting on the settlement, district spokesperson Anahi Velasco said in an email Wednesday. The district said previously that it changed its bullying reporting system and its training for employees. Also the school's principal and vice principal were replaced.
The family also inspired a new piece of legislation authored by Eloise Reyes Gomez, which allows legal guardians to bring civil action in wrongful death cases, CBS Los Angeles reported.
The assailants, who were 14 at the time of the attack, entered the equivalent of guilty pleas in juvenile court to involuntary manslaughter and assault with force likely to cause great bodily injury.
The teens spent 47 days in juvenile custody. A judge declined to sentence them to more jail time, but ordered that they undergo anger management therapy.
- In:
- Lawsuit
- California
- Bullying
veryGood! (22321)
Related
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Goodbye free returns: Retailers are tacking on mail-in fees. Why that may be good news.
- 12 starts, $230 million: Timeline of Deshaun Watson's Browns tenure with guaranteed contract
- Video shows world's most dangerous bird emerging from ocean, stunning onlookers
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- 'Innovating with delivery': Chick-fil-A testing drone delivery at a 'small number' of locations
- Takeaways from Biden’s long-awaited meeting with Xi
- Can US, China Climate Talks Spur Progress at COP28?
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Report: Rory McIlroy resigns from PGA Tour Policy Board
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- How a hatred of go-go music led to a $100,000 Maryland Lottery win for former Baltimore cop
- Nikki Haley calls for name verification in social media profiles: This is a national security threat
- Finland to close 4 border crossing points after accusing Russia of organizing flow of migrants
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- US Coast Guard searches for crew member who fell from cruise ship near Puerto Rico
- Emboldened by success in other red states, effort launched to protect abortion rights in Nebraska
- Michigan assistant coach had to apologize to mom, grandma for expletive-filled speech
Recommendation
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Fireworks workshop explosion leaves at least 4 dead in Mexico’s central state of Puebla
Senate votes to pass funding bill and avoid government shutdown. Here's the final vote tally.
Northwestern rewards coach David Braun for turnaround by removing 'interim' label
US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
Why Dean McDermott Says a Pig and a Chicken Played a Role in Tori Spelling Marital Problems
Enough is enough. NBA should suspend Draymond Green for rest of November after chokehold
MLB owners meetings: Las Vegas isn't perfect, but vote on Athletics' move may be unanimous