Current:Home > FinanceGaza doctor says gunfire accounted for 80% of the wounds at his hospital from aid convoy bloodshed -Prime Capital Blueprint
Gaza doctor says gunfire accounted for 80% of the wounds at his hospital from aid convoy bloodshed
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:39:16
RAFAH, Gaza Strip (AP) — The head of a Gaza City hospital that treated some of those wounded in the bloodshed surrounding an aid convoy said Friday that more than 80% had been struck by gunfire, suggesting there was heavy shooting by Israeli troops.
At least 115 Palestinians were killed and more than 750 others injured Thursday, according to health officials, when witnesses said nearby Israeli troops opened fire as huge crowds raced to pull goods off an aid convoy. Israel said many of the dead were trampled in a stampede that started when desperate Palestinians in Gaza rushed the aid trucks. Israel said its troops fired warning shots after the crowd moved toward them in a threatening way.
Dr. Mohammed Salha, the acting director of Al-Awda Hospital, told The Associated Press that of the 176 wounded brought to the facility, 142 had gunshot wounds and the other 34 showed injuries from a stampede.
He couldn’t address the cause of death of those killed, because the bodies were taken to government-run hospitals to be counted. Officials at those hospitals couldn’t immediately be reached.
The bloodshed underscored how chaos amid Israel’s almost 5-month-old offensive has crippled the effort to bring aid to Gaza’s 2.3 million Palestinians, a quarter of whom the U.N. says face starvation.
The U.N. and other aid groups have been pleading for safe corridors for aid convoys, saying it has become nearly impossible to deliver supplies in most of Gaza because of the difficulty of coordinating with the Israeli military, ongoing hostilities and the breakdown of public order, including crowds of desperate people who overwhelm aid convoys.
U.N. officials say hunger is even worse in the north, where several hundred thousand Palestinians remain even though the area has been isolated and mostly leveled since Israeli troops launched their ground offensive there in late October. U.N. agencies haven’t delivered aid to the north in more than a month because of military restrictions and lack of security, but several deliveries by other groups reached the area earlier this week.
Acknowledging the difficulty of getting aid in, U.S. President Joe Biden said Friday the U.S. soon will begin air dropping assistance to Gaza and will look for other ways to get shipments in “including possibly a marine corridor.”
The announcement came hours after a Jordanian plane over northern Gaza dropped packages attached to parachutes, including rice, flour and baby formula.
“Innocent lives are on the line, and children’s lives are on the line. We won’t stand by until we get more aid in there,” Biden said. “We should be getting hundreds of trucks in, not just several.”
Aid officials have said that airdrops are an incredibly expensive way of distributing assistance.
“I don’t think the airdropping of food in the Gaza Strip should be the answer today. The real answer is open the crossing and bring convoys and bring meaningful assistance into the Gaza Strip,” Philippe Lazzarini, head of the U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees, said Thursday.
Thursday’s convoy wasn’t organized by the U.N. Instead, it appeared to have been monitored by the Israeli military, which said its troops were on hand to secure it to ensure it reached northern Gaza. The ensuing shooting and bloodshed raise questions about whether Israel will be able to keep order if it goes through with its postwar plans for Gaza.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has put forward a plan for Israel to retain open-ended security and political control over the territory — an effective reoccupation — after Hamas is destroyed. Under the plan, Palestinians picked by Israel would administer the territory, but it’s uncertain if any would cooperate.
That would leave Israeli troops, who throughout the war have responded with heavy firepower when they perceive a possible threat, to oversee the population amid the massive postwar humanitarian and reconstruction operation envisioned by the international community.
Israel launched its air, sea and ground offensive in Gaza in response to Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack into Israel, in which militants killed around 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and abducted around 250 others. Since the assault began, Israel has barred entry of food, water, medicine and other supplies, except for a trickle of aid entering the south from Egypt at the Rafah crossing and Israel’s Kerem Shalom crossing.
Despite international calls to allow in more aid, the number of supply trucks is far less than the 500 that came in daily before the war.
The Gaza Health Ministry said the Palestinian death toll from the war has climbed to 30,228, with another 71,377 wounded. The ministry doesn’t differentiate between civilians and combatants in its figures, but says women and children make up around two-thirds of those killed.
___
Bassem Mroue reported from Beirut. Associated Press Writer Zeke Miller in Washington contributed to this report.
___
Find more of AP’s coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/israel-hamas-war
veryGood! (76177)
Related
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Can New York’s mayor speak Mandarin? No, but with AI he’s making robocalls in different languages
- Rockets trade troubled guard Kevin Porter Jr. to Thunder, who plan to waive him
- Detroit casino workers strike in latest labor strife in Michigan
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Musk's X to charge users in Philippines and New Zealand $1 to use platform
- Love Is Blind Villain Uche Answers All Your Burning Questions After Missing Reunion
- Georgia deputy fatally shoots 'kind' man who served 16 years for wrongful conviction
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Natalee Holloway suspect expected to plead guilty to extortion charges
Ranking
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- No charges for deputy who fatally shot 21-year-old during traffic stop
- U.S. gets a C+ in retirement, on par with Kazakhstan and lagging other wealthy nations
- Stock market today: World markets edge lower as China reports slower growth in the last quarter
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Republicans and Democrats agree on one thing: The Afghan war wasn’t worth it, AP-NORC poll shows
- Calling it quits: Why some Lahaina businesses won't reopen after the wildfires
- China’s Xi promises more market openness and new investments for Belt and Road projects
Recommendation
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
Russian President Putin insists Ukraine’s new US-supplied weapon won’t change the war’s outcome
ADL official on anti-Jewish, Muslim hate: 'Our fight is often one that is together'
Indiana teacher who went missing in Puerto Rico presumed dead after body found
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Alex Murdaugh requests new murder trial, alleges jury tampering in appeal
Ukraine uses US-supplied long-range missiles for 1st time in Russia airbase attack
Las Vegas police officer gets 12 years in prison for casino robberies netting $165,000