Current:Home > InvestTrump rules out another debate against Harris as her campaign announces $47M haul in hours afterward -Prime Capital Blueprint
Trump rules out another debate against Harris as her campaign announces $47M haul in hours afterward
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 17:50:10
Donald Trump on Thursday ruled out another presidential debate against Kamala Harris as her campaign announced a massive fundraising haul in the hours after the two candidates met on stage.
Trump, the Republican nominee, posted on Truth Social that “THERE WILL BE NO THIRD DEBATE!” following Tuesday’s debate against Harris and his June debate against President Joe Biden. In rejecting another debate, the former president suggested that a “prizefighter” who loses a bout is always the one to call for a rematch.
A day earlier, he had said, “I just don’t know,” to the question of whether he would meet Harris for another debate. Some Republicans, including the No. 2 GOP Senator John Thune, have urged Trump to debate against Harris again.
While he could still change his mind, his announcement means that Tuesday’s meeting will likely be the only time voters will see the two debate each other before the November election. More than 67 million people watched the Trump-Harris debate.
Harris, the Democratic nominee, said during a rally in North Carolina on Thursday she believes that she and the former president “owe it to voters” to debate again. Meanwhile, her campaign revealed that it had raised $47 million from nearly 600,000 donors in the 24 hours after her Tuesday debate against Trump.
“This historic, 24-hour haul reflects a strong and growing coalition of Americans united behind Vice President Harris’ candidacy that knows the stakes this November, and are doing their part to defeat Donald Trump this November,” campaign chair Jen O’Malley Dillon said.
The Tuesday debate was the first time that Trump and Harris had met, and the vice president largely controlled the tenor, goading Trump into agitated responses that contained exaggerations and mistruths. It came two months after Trump’s debate against Biden, whose unsteady performance and meandering answers led him to end his reelection bid and endorse Harris as his replacement on the ticket.
Trump raised doubts earlier in the campaign as to whether he would debate Harris at all. The two eventually agreed on the Tuesday debate on ABC.
Trump called Harris a “no-show” for a debate date that had been proposed earlier this month. Instead of an event with Harris, Trump ended up going on Fox News for a solo town hall with host Sean Hannity.
Fox News has issued invitations to both campaigns for a debate in October.
___
Associated Press writer Zeke Miller in Washington contributed to this report.
veryGood! (771)
Related
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Powerball winning numbers for September 23: Did anyone win $208 million jackpot?
- The Best Birthday Gifts for Libras
- EPA data make it hard to know the extent of the contamination from last year’s Ohio derailment
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Cam Taylor-Britt doesn't regret 'college offense' barb after Commanders burn Bengals for win
- Trump tells women he ‘will be your protector’ as GOP struggles with outreach to female voters
- A Texas county has told an appeals court it has a right to cull books on sex, gender and racism
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- New Hampshire woman to plead guilty in the death of her 5-year-old son
Ranking
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Chick-fil-A makes pimento cheese available as standalone side for a limited time
- Texas set to execute Travis James Mullis for the murder of his infant son. What to know.
- O&C Investment Alliance: A Union of Wisdom and Love in Wealth Creation
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Retirement on Arizona right-leaning high court gives Democratic governor rare chance to fill seat
- US company accuses Mexico of expropriating its property on the Caribbean coast
- US to hand over pest inspections of Mexican avocados to Mexico and California growers aren’t happy
Recommendation
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
A city proud of its role in facing down hatred confronts a new wave of violence
Judge to approve auctions liquidating Alex Jones’ Infowars to help pay Sandy Hook families
When does 'Grotesquerie' premiere? Date, time, where to watch new show featuring Travis Kelce
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Georgia court could reject counting presidential votes for Cornel West and Claudia De la Cruz
See Selena Gomez Return to Her Magical Roots in Wizards Beyond Waverly Place’s Spellbinding Trailer
'Wild ride': 8th bull that escaped rodeo in Massachusetts caught after thrilling chase