Current:Home > InvestMaui County sues Hawaiian Electric Co. for damages from disastrous fires -Prime Capital Blueprint
Maui County sues Hawaiian Electric Co. for damages from disastrous fires
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 18:16:26
MAUI, Hawaii -- Maui County is suing the Hawaiian Electric Co., alleging that its negligence led to the deadliest U.S. wildfire in the past 100 years. The county suffered an estimated $5.5 billion in damages from fires in Lahaina and Kula — and it says the deadly disaster was preventable.
The civil suit filed Thursday seeks a jury trial. It targets Hawaiian Electric, or HECO, and several related companies, seeking "punitive and exemplary damages" and to recoup costs and loss of revenue from the fires.
HECO is a publicly traded company that accounts for 95% of Hawaii's electricity customers. The utility tells NPR that it is "very disappointed" that the county filed suit.
The exact cause of the fires in Maui is being investigated by federal officials. But dozens of Hawaiian Electric's poles and energized lines were felled by high winds that propelled the fire. Videos posted on social media appeared to show power lines starting fires, and experts have indicated they think the power lines were likely a major factor.
The utility didn't have a plan to cut power, county says
Maui County accuses HECO and its subsidiaries of two major failures: not properly maintaining the electrical system and power grid; and "failing to power down their electrical equipment despite a National Weather Service Red Flag Warning on August 7th."
The county says the utility should have had a plan to cut off electrical power when conditions get dangerous.
"The practice of deenergizing power lines during fire weather conditions is common in the Western United States," the lawsuit states. It notes that large utilities in wildfire-prone California have implemented "Public Safety Power Shutoff" plans to prevent fires during high-risk conditions.
"Defendants never created a PSPS plan," the suit states.
Survivors of the fire in Lahaina have also said downed poles and wires slowed them down as they tried to flee what became a deadly calamity, saying their path to safety was obstructed by utility trucks in the roads.
HECO has said it's controversial to cut off power
In an emailed statement to NPR about the county's lawsuit, Hawaiian Electric emphasized that its focus has been on supporting "not just the people of Maui, but also Maui County."
"We are very disappointed that Maui County chose this litigious path while the investigation is still unfolding," the company added.
When Hawaiian Electric's President and CEO Shelee Kimura was asked last week why the company didn't shut off power when winds picked up, she said PSPS plans are controversial.
Kimura said the programs require coordination with first responders, and that they could also pose a risk to vulnerable people with specialized medical equipment.
The utility will conduct its own investigation of the fires, she said.
Maui County's lawsuit was filed in the Second Circuit Court in Wailuku.
veryGood! (74)
Related
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- You Won't Believe How Much Call Her Daddy Host Alex Cooper Got Paid in SiriusXM Deal
- Betty Jean Hall, advocate who paved the way for women to enter coal mining workforce, dies at 78
- University of Wisconsin president wants $855 million in new funding to stave off higher tuition
- Average rate on 30
- Pioneering daytime TV host Phil Donahue dies at 88
- Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas' Daughter Stella Banderas Engaged to Alex Gruszynski
- 19-year-old arrested as DWI car crash leaves 5 people dead, including 2 children, in Fort Worth: Reports
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Taylor Swift, who can decode you? Fans will try as they look for clues for 'Reputation TV'
Ranking
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Why Ryan Reynolds 'kicked' himself for delayed 'Deadpool' tribute to Rob Delaney's son
- Mamie Laverock Leaves Hospital 3 Months After Falling Off Five-Story Balcony
- Regulators approve plans for new Georgia Power plants driven by rising demand
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Judge allows transgender New Hampshire girl to play soccer as lawsuit challenges new law
- 17,000 AT&T workers in Southeast strike over contract negotiations
- Aces coach Becky Hammon again disputes Dearica Hamby’s claims of mistreatment during pregnancy
Recommendation
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Raiders go with Gardner Minshew over Aidan O'Connell as starting quarterback
Value meal wars heat up as more fast food spots, restaurants offer discounted menu items
As the DNC Kicks Off, Here’s How Climate Fits In
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
NASCAR Cup race at Michigan halted by rain after Stage 1, will resume Monday
Police arrest 75-year-old man suspected of raping, killing woman in 1973 cold case
Jake Shane's popularity skyrocketed overnight. So did his anxiety.