Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-Walmart says it has stopped advertising on Elon Musk's X platform -Prime Capital Blueprint
Oliver James Montgomery-Walmart says it has stopped advertising on Elon Musk's X platform
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 00:04:09
Walmart said Friday that it is scaling back its advertising on X, the social media company formerly known as Twitter, because "we've found some other platforms better for reaching our customers."
Walmart's decision has been in the works for a while, according to a person familiar with the move. Yet it comes as X faces an advertiser exodus following billionaire owner Elon Musk's support for an antisemitic post on the platform.
The retailer spends about $2.7 billion on advertising each year, according to MarketingDive. In an email to CBS MoneyWatch, X's head of operations, Joe Benarroch, said Walmart still has a large presence on X. He added that the company stopped advertising on X in October, "so this is not a recent pausing."
"Walmart has a wonderful community of more than a million people on X, and with a half a billion people on X, every year the platform experiences 15 billion impressions about the holidays alone with more than 50% of X users doing most or all of their shopping online," Benarroch said.
Musk struck a defiant pose earlier this week at the New York Times' Dealbook Summit, where he cursed out advertisers that had distanced themselves from X, telling them to "go f--- yourself." He also complained that companies are trying to "blackmail me with advertising" by cutting off their spending with the platform, and cautioned that the loss of big advertisers could "kill" X.
"And the whole world will know that those advertisers killed the company," Musk added.
Dozens of advertisers — including players such as Apple, Coca Cola and Disney — have bailed on X since Musk tweeted that a post on the platform that claimed Jews fomented hatred against White people, echoing antisemitic stereotypes, was "the actual truth."
Advertisers generally shy away from placing their brands and marketing messages next to controversial material, for fear that their image with consumers could get tarnished by incendiary content.
The loss of major advertisers could deprive X of up to $75 million in revenue, according to a New York Times report.
Musk said Wednesday his support of the antisemitic post was "one of the most foolish" he'd ever posted on X.
"I am quite sorry," he said, adding "I should in retrospect not have replied to that particular post."
- In:
- Elon Musk
- Walmart
Aimee Picchi is the associate managing editor for CBS MoneyWatch, where she covers business and personal finance. She previously worked at Bloomberg News and has written for national news outlets including USA Today and Consumer Reports.
TwitterveryGood! (692)
Related
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- California judges say they’re underpaid, and their new lawsuit could cost taxpayers millions
- Video shows drone spotted in New Jersey sky as FBI says it is investigating
- A Malibu wildfire prompts evacuation orders and warnings for 20,000, including Dick Van Dyke, Cher
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Trump taps immigration hard
- Stock market today: Asian stocks are mixed ahead of key US inflation data
- A Malibu wildfire prompts evacuation orders and warnings for 20,000, including Dick Van Dyke, Cher
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- The Voice Season 26 Crowns a New Winner
Ranking
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- A Malibu wildfire prompts evacuation orders and warnings for 20,000, including Dick Van Dyke, Cher
- Taxpayers could get $500 'inflation refund' checks under New York proposal: What to know
- 'Mary': How to stream, what biblical experts think about Netflix's new coming
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Secretary of State Blinken is returning to the Mideast in his latest diplomatic foray
- We can't get excited about 'Kraven the Hunter.' Don't blame superhero fatigue.
- 'The Later Daters': Cast, how to stream new Michelle Obama
Recommendation
Bodycam footage shows high
Sabrina Carpenter reveals her own hits made it on her personal Spotify Wrapped list
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Dropping Hints
US inflation likely edged up last month, though not enough to deter another Fed rate cut
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
Oregon lawmakers to hold special session on emergency wildfire funding
Manager of pet grooming salon charged over death of corgi that fell off table
California judges say they’re underpaid, and their new lawsuit could cost taxpayers millions