Current:Home > reviewsNovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:Burundi’s president claims Rwanda is backing rebels fighting against his country -Prime Capital Blueprint
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:Burundi’s president claims Rwanda is backing rebels fighting against his country
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 21:48:14
NAIROBI,NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center Kenya (AP) — Burundi’s president on Friday accused Rwanda of funding and training rebels behind an attack last week on the village of Gatumba, close to Burundi’s border with Congo, that killed at least 20 people.
A Burundian armed rebel group known as RED-Tabara and based in South Kivu, eastern Congo, took responsibility for the attack in a post on X, formerly Twitter. The group, which denied having targeted civilians, claimed to have killed nine soldiers and a police officer.
Burundian authorities consider RED-Tabara a terrorist movement. The group first appeared in 2011 and has been accused of a string of attacks in Burundi since 2015.
In a national radio broadcast, President Evariste Ndayishimiye claimed the RED-Tabara “are fed, sheltered, hosted and maintained in terms of logistics and financial means by … Rwanda.”
Ndayishimiye said Burundi has been unsuccessfully negotiating with Rwanda for two years, seeking the extradition of the rebels.
“As long as they have a country that provides them with uniforms, feeds them, protects them, shelters them, maintains them, we will have problems,” he said.
There was no immediate reaction from Rwanda’s government to Ndayishimiye’s accusations but it has previously said that it cannot extradite people who are under the protection of the U.N. refugee agency.
Relations between the two central African neighbors improved with the ascension to power of Ndayishimiye in June 2020 and borders between them reopened.
Some of those killed in the Gatumba attack — which Burundi has described as an act of terror and said it had contacted Interpol to seek its help in apprehending the perpetrators — were buried on Tuesday.
In August last year, Burundi deployed soldiers to eastern Congo as part of a regional force invited by Congo to tackle the resurgence of the M23 rebel group there. Some observers believed that the Burundi troops from the seven-nation East African Community force would be used to crush RED-Tabara.
However, the East African Regional force is currently being withdrawn in phases from the violence-plagued eastern Congo following complaints from locals and authorities that instead of disarming the rebels, the forces were cohabiting with them.
veryGood! (41657)
Related
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- 804,000 long-term borrowers are having their student loans forgiven before payments resume this fall
- Wynonna Judd's Cheeky Comment About Tim McGraw Proves She's a True Champion
- From Trump's nickname to Commander Biden's bad behavior, can you beat the news quiz?
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- The Best Beauty Advent Calendars of 2023: Lookfantastic, Charlotte Tilbury, Revolve & More
- AP Week in Pictures: Asia
- Man arrested in shooting at Lil Baby concert in Memphis
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Georgia Republicans suspend state senator who wants to impeach DA for indicting Trump
Ranking
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Indiana police fatally shoot a man after pursuing a suspect who followed a woman to a police station
- FBI arrests Proud Boys member who disappeared days before sentencing
- Yelp sues Texas to keep crisis pregnancy center description labels
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- What to know and what’s next for Travis King, the American soldier who ran into North Korea
- China wins bronze in League of Legends but all eyes on South Korea in gold-medal match
- Storm eases in Greece but flood risk remains high amid rising river levels
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Peter Thomas Roth Flash Sale: Get $116 Worth of Skincare Products for Just $69
California man who shot two sheriff’s deputies in revenge attack convicted of attempted murder
UAW once again expands its historic strike, hitting two of the Big 3 automakers
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
New Greek opposition leader says he will take a break from politics to do his military service
Peruvian man arrested for sending more than 150 hoax bomb threats to US schools, airports
Nebraska police standoff ends with arrest and safe hostage release