Current:Home > StocksSicily Yacht Victims Died of "Dry Drowning" After Running Out of Oxygen in the Cabin -Prime Capital Blueprint
Sicily Yacht Victims Died of "Dry Drowning" After Running Out of Oxygen in the Cabin
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 15:02:27
More information has been shared on the deaths of the Sicily yacht victims.
The initial autopsies of four of the seven victims who died when the Bayesian yacht sank last month—cook Recaldo Thomas, spouses Christopher Morvillo and Neda Morvillo, Morgan Stanley International Chairman Jonathan Bloomer and his wife Judy Bloomer as well as tech mogul Mike Lynch and his daughter Hannah—have revealed they died of “dry drowning,” CNN reported, citing authorities.
The finding suggests, per CNN citing local media reports, that these four victims—couples Christopher and Neda as well as Jonathan and Judy, per officials—had found an air bubble in the cabin in which they were found and had consumed all the oxygen before the air pocket turned toxic due to carbon dioxide.
The outlet further cited reports saying the autopsies for Mike and his 18-year-old daughter are likely to be carried out Sept. 6, while the autopsy for chef Recaldo is on hold due to difficulty in reaching his family in Antigua.
E! News has reached out to the public prosecutor's office of Termini Imerese, which assigned the autopsies, as well as the Institute of Forensic Medicine of the Policlinico for comment but has not yet heard back.
It was previously confirmed that spouses Christopher and Neda died together, Italian news organization ANSA confirmed Sept. 2, and that the autopsies exhibited “no signs of trauma” and there are “no other causes linked” to their deaths.
At the time of its Aug. 19 sinking, the 184-foot Bayesian yacht had 22 people aboard in total, including 12 guests and 10 crew members. The sinking, which has been described by maritime experts as anomalous, occurred due to harsh weather conditions, including a waterspout, Salvo Cocina of Sicily's civil protection agency told NBC News.
As Salvo noted of the ship, “They were in the wrong place at the wrong time.”
In the weeks following the tragedy, captain James Cutfield has been placed under investigation for manslaughter following the incident, as confirmed by his lawyer Giovanni Rizzuti to NBC News. However, that does not mean he will face charges.
As NBC News noted, being placed under investigation in Italy does not imply guilt and does not guarantee formal charges will follow. Instead, notices need to be sent to people under investigation before authorities could carry out autopsies.
One of the survivors of the sinking Charlotte Golunski—who survived alongside her partner James Emsley and her 12-month-old daughter Sophie—previously detailed the terrifying moment the ship was hit by the storm. "
For two seconds, I lost my daughter in the sea, then quickly hugged her amid the fury of the waves," she told Italian newspaper La Repubblica one day after the accident, per the BBC. "It was all dark. In the water I couldn't keep my eyes open. I screamed for help but all I could hear around me was the screams of others."
(E! News and NBC News are part of NBCUniversal.)
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (2)
Related
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- 1 killed, several injured when big rig plows into Texas Department of Public Safety office in apparent intentional act, officials say
- How to tackle crime in Indian Country? Empower tribal justice, ex-Justice Department official says
- AI Wealth Club: Addressing Falsehoods and Protecting Integrity
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, April 14, 2024
- Chase Elliott triumphs at Texas, snaps 42-race winless streak in NASCAR Cup Series
- 'Civil War': Kirsten Dunst, Cailee Spaeny break down 'heartbreaking' yet disturbing ending
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Colts sign three-time Pro Bowl DT DeForest Buckner to hefty contract extension
Ranking
- Sam Taylor
- 13-year-old girl shot to death in small Iowa town; 12-year-old boy taken into custody
- Polish opponents of abortion march against recent steps to liberalize strict law
- Sade Robinson case: Milwaukee man Maxwell Anderson charged after human remains found
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Golden retriever nicknamed 'The Dogfather' retires after fathering more than 300 guide dogs
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, PTA Meeting
- The Latest | World leaders urge Israel not to retaliate for the Iranian drone and missile attack
Recommendation
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Colts sign three-time Pro Bowl DT DeForest Buckner to hefty contract extension
Dana White announces Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler will headline UFC 303 in June
'SNL': Ryan Gosling sings Taylor Swift to say goodbye to Ken, Kate McKinnon returns
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
4 people dead after train crashes into pickup at Idaho railroad crossing, police say
Will Smith Makes Surprise Coachella Appearance at J Balvin's Men in Black-Themed Show
FBI opens criminal investigation into Baltimore bridge collapse, AP source says