Current:Home > StocksPrince Harry's court battle with Mirror newspaper group over alleged phone hacking kicks off in London -Prime Capital Blueprint
Prince Harry's court battle with Mirror newspaper group over alleged phone hacking kicks off in London
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 21:57:03
London — A British newspaper group has apologized for illegal information gathering and vowed it won't happen again in a trial beginning Wednesday that pits Britain's Prince Harry and other celebrities against the U.K's tabloid press. The trial kicking off Wednesday at London's High Court is over a suit, brought jointly by the Duke of Sussex and other U.K. celebrities, including popstar Cheryl Cole and the estate of the late George Michael, against the Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN), publisher of the Daily Mirror tabloid, over alleged phone hacking.
- British tabloids and their "invisible contract" with the royals
The Mirror Group is contesting the claims against it, arguing that some have been brought beyond the permissible time limit and denying some others. However, MGN said in court documents released Wednesday that there was "some evidence of the instruction of third parties to engage in other types of UIG [unlawful information gathering] in respect of each of the Claimants," which "warrants compensation."
"MGN unreservedly apologizes for all such instances of UIG, and assures the claimants that such conduct will never be repeated," court documents said. "This apology is not made with the tactical objective of reducing damages (MGN accepts that an apology at this stage will not have that effect), but is made because such conduct should never have occurred."
- Harry claims William reached "large" settlement with Murdoch tabloids over hacking
The celebrities' claims pertain to a period between 1996 and 2011, which encompasses the time when media personality Piers Morgan, now a vocal critic of Prince Harry and his wife Megan, Duchess of Sussex, served as the Daily Mirror's editor.
MGN previously admitted that phone hacking had historically taken place at its papers, and it has paid settlements to victims, Sky News reported.
The suit was launched in 2019, and Harry is expected to testify in June. It alleges that journalists working for the Mirror Group gathered information unlawfully, including by hacking phones. Prince Harry's legal team initially pointed to 144 articles that they said used unlawfully gathered information. Only 33 will be considered in the trial, according to Sky News.
Harry and Meghan have filed at least seven lawsuits against U.S. and U.K. media outlets since 2019, according to Sky News, and Harry is currently involved in four cases against U.K. tabloid newspapers. He is part of a group alleging unlawful information gathering at Associated Newspapers Limited, which publishes The Daily Mail, and against News Group Newspapers, which publishes The Sun tabloid.
- In:
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
Haley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (39)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Social media content creator Aanvi Kamdar dies in fall at India's poplar Kumbhe waterfall
- Sundance Film Festival narrows down host cities — from Louisville to Santa Fe — for future years
- Kim Kardashian, Jennifer Aniston are getting the 'salmon sperm facial.' What is going on?
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Superstorm Sandy group eyes ballots, insurance surcharges and oil fees to fund resiliency projects
- Shane Lowry keeps calm and carries British Open lead at Troon
- Rare orange lobster, found at Red Lobster, gets cool name and home at Denver aquarium
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Longtime US Rep Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas, who had pancreatic cancer, has died
Ranking
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Canada wants 12 new submarines to bolster Arctic defense as NATO watches Russia and China move in
- Donald Trump accepts Republican nomination on final day of RNC | The Excerpt
- Camila Morrone Is Dating Cole Bennett 2 Years After Leonardo DiCaprio Breakup
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Country Singer Rory Feek Marries Daughter's Teacher 8 Years After Death of Wife Joey
- 'Hello Kitty is not a cat': Fans in denial after creators reveal she's 'a little girl'
- Paris Olympics see 'limited' impact on some IT services after global tech outage
Recommendation
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Federal appeals court dismisses lawsuit over Tennessee’s anti-drag show ban
The Daily Money: Save money with sales-tax holidays
Florida man arrested, accused of making threats against Trump, Vance on social media
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
Climate protesters steer clear of Republican National Convention
Jury convicts Honolulu businessman of 13 counts, including murder in aid of racketeering
Migrant children were put in abusive shelters for years, suit says. Critics blame lack of oversight