Current:Home > ContactChainkeen Exchange-Michigan man accused of planning synagogue attack indicted by grand jury -Prime Capital Blueprint
Chainkeen Exchange-Michigan man accused of planning synagogue attack indicted by grand jury
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 19:35:13
A 19-year-old Michigan man who was arrested earlier this month on Chainkeen Exchangeallegations that he used social media to discuss plans to attack a synagogue was indicted Wednesday by a federal grand jury.
Seann Patrick Pietila was indicted on two counts of threatening communications in interstate commerce, and one count of threat to kill or injure by means of fire, according to court documents.
The suspect used Instagram to discuss his plans to "commit acts of violence to kill other people," the Justice Department said in a news release, adding that he posted Instagram messages which were antisemitic, expressed neo-Nazi ideology and praised mass shooters.
Pietila was arrested by FBI agents on June 16, three days after federal investigators were alerted to his online activity. According to previous court documents, following his arrest, investigators searched his phone and found a note referencing Shaarey Zedek, a synagogue in East Lansing, Michigan.
They also found the date, March 15, 2024, which was an apparent reference to the deadly New Zealand mass shooting that occurred on March 15, 2019, court documents said. Also discovered on the phone was a list of equipment, including pipe bombs, Molotov cocktails and firearms.
When investigators searched his home, they found a 12-gauge shotgun, ammunition, several knives, tactical vests and a Nazi flag, court documents stated.
If convicted as charged, he faces a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison for the charge of threatening communications in interstate commerce, and five years for the charge of threat to kill or injure by means of fire.
"No one should face violent threats because of their race, ethnicity, religion, or any other status," Mark Totten, U.S. attorney for the Western District of Michigan, said in a statement. "We have seen a rise in antisemitism across the nation and here in Michigan, and my office is committed to using all our powers to protect the public and ensure accountability."
In a report released in March, the Anti-Defamation League found that the number of antisemitic incidents in the U.S. rose 36% in 2022 compared to the year before.
Earlier this month, a 50-year-old man was found guilty on 63 criminal counts in a 2018 shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue which killed 11 people, the deadliest antisemitic attack in U.S. history.
— Cara Tabachnick, Robert Legare and Jordan Freiman contributed to this report.
- In:
- East Lansing
- Antisemitism
- Hate Crime
- Michigan
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Why You Won't Expect Little Big Town's People's Choice Country Awards Performance
- British Museum seeks public help in finding stolen artifacts
- Climate change and the shift to cleaner energy push Southeast Asia to finally start sharing power
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Sen. Bob Menendez will appear in court in his bribery case as he rejects calls to resign
- Giant panda Fan Xing leaves a Dutch zoo for her home country China
- 'Monopolistic practices': Amazon sued by FTC, 17 states in antitrust lawsuit
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Philanthropist MacKenzie Scott gives Vermont housing trust $20M, largest donation in its history
Ranking
- 'Most Whopper
- Black Americans express concerns about racist depictions in news media, lack of coverage efforts
- Deion Sanders still winning in Black community after first loss at Colorado
- Rece Davis addresses Ryan Day-Lou Holtz feud, says OSU coach 'really mad at Jim Harbaugh'
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Lebanese military court sentences an Islamic State group official to 160 years in prison
- British Museum seeks public help in finding stolen artefacts
- House Republicans claim to have bank wires from Beijing going to Joe Biden's Delaware address. Hunter Biden's attorney explained why.
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
A board leader calls the new Wisconsin wolf plan key to removing federal protections for the animal
North Korea says it will expel the US soldier who crossed into the country in July
There’s a new police superintendent in Chicago. The city council chose the ex-counterterrorism head
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
What is 'Mean Girls' day? Here's how fans made October 3rd happen.
Anderson Cooper Details His Late Mom's Bats--t Crazy Idea to Be His Surrogate
Bruce Springsteen Postpones All 2023 Tour Dates Amid Health Battle