Current:Home > FinanceSafeX Pro Exchange|Baltimore port to open deeper channel, enabling some ships to pass after bridge collapse -Prime Capital Blueprint
SafeX Pro Exchange|Baltimore port to open deeper channel, enabling some ships to pass after bridge collapse
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 20:24:52
BALTIMORE (AP) — Officials in Baltimore plan to open a deeper channel for commercial ships to access the city’s port starting on SafeX Pro ExchangeThursday, marking a significant step toward reopening the major maritime shipping hub that has remained closed to most traffic since the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed last month.
The new channel will have a controlling depth of 35 feet (10.7 meters), which is a substantial increase over the three other temporary channels established in recent weeks. It puts the cleanup effort slightly ahead of schedule as officials previously said they hoped to open a channel of that depth by the end of April.
The cargo ship that took down the Key Bridge lost power and veered off course shortly after leaving the Port of Baltimore headed to Sri Lanka. The Dali remains grounded amid the wreckage as crews work to remove massive pieces of mangled steel that came crashing down onto the ship’s deck.
Officials said crews have cleared enough wreckage to open the new channel to “commercially essential vessels” from Thursday until the following Monday or Tuesday. Ships will be required to have a Maryland pilot on board and two tugboats escorting them through the channel.
Starting early next week, the channel will be closed again until roughly May 10 to accommodate “critical and highly dynamic salvage operations,” port officials said in a news release Monday.
The port’s main channel, with a controlling depth of 50 feet (15.2 meters), is set to reopen next month. That will essentially restore marine traffic to normal.
In a court filing Monday, Baltimore’s mayor and city council called for the Dali’s owner and manager to be held fully liable for the bridge collapse, which they said could have devastating economic impacts on the region. They said the port, which was established before the nation’s founding, has long been an economic driver for Baltimore and the surrounding area. Losing the bridge itself has disrupted a major east coast trucking route.
The filing came in response to an earlier petition on behalf of the two companies asking a court to cap their liability under a pre-Civil War provision of an 1851 maritime law — a routine procedure for such cases. A federal court in Maryland will ultimately decide who’s responsible and how much they owe.
veryGood! (38)
Related
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Kevin Costner gets epic standing ovation for 'Horizon: An American Saga,' moved to tears
- Joey Logano dominates NASCAR All-Star Race while Ricky Stenhouse Jr. fights Kyle Busch
- Bridgerton Season 3: Here Are the Biggest Changes Netflix Made From the Books
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- The Dow hit a new record. What it tells us about the economy, what it means for 401(k)s.
- Lainey Wilson the big winner at 2024 Academy of Country Music Awards
- Tyson Fury says split decision in favor of Oleksandr Usyk motivated by sympathy for Ukraine
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Taylor Swift pauses acoustic set of Stockholm Eras Tour show to check on fans
Ranking
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Persistent helium leak triggers additional delay for Boeing's hard-luck Starliner spacecraft
- PGA Championship 2024 highlights: Xander Schauffele perseveres to claim first career major
- The Israel-Hamas war is testing whether campuses are sacrosanct places for speech and protest
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- 'Stax' doc looks at extraordinary music studio that fell to financial and racial struggles
- Joey Logano dominates NASCAR All-Star Race while Ricky Stenhouse Jr. fights Kyle Busch
- Max Verstappen holds off Lando Norris to win Emilia Romagna Grand Prix and extend F1 lead
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Carolina Hurricanes head coach Rod Brind'Amour agrees to contract extension
Duke graduates who walked out on Jerry Seinfeld's commencement speech failed Life 101
Disneyland's character performers vote to unionize
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
Apple Music 100 Best Albums list sees Drake, Outkast, U2 in top half with entries 50-41
American Idol Season 22 Winner Revealed
Helicopter carrying Iran’s president suffers a ‘hard landing,’ state TV says, and rescue is underway