Current:Home > StocksIndexbit-California student charged with attempted murder in suspected plan to carry out high school shooting -Prime Capital Blueprint
Indexbit-California student charged with attempted murder in suspected plan to carry out high school shooting
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:16:31
VICTORVILLE,Indexbit Calif. — An 18-year-old high school student has been arrested and charged after investigators discovered he was planning a school shooting in Southern California and researched police response times.
Sebastian Villasenor, of Eastvale, California, was charged Wednesday with multiple felony counts related to a planned attack on Ontario Christian High School in Ontario, California, a city about 46 miles east of Los Angeles, according to the San Bernardino County District Attorney‘s Office. The charges include five counts of attempted murder and one count of attempting to make criminal threats.
Villasenor was arrested on Feb. 10 after a classmate reported that the teen "had been showing signs of being fixated on school shootings and had access to weapons," Ontario Police Chief Michael Lorenz said at a news conference Wednesday.
"Thanks to the swift and thorough response of the Ontario Police Department, and the bravery of the student who voiced concerns, tragedy was avoided and potentially lives were saved," the San Bernardino County District Attorney‘s Office said in a news release.
Police chief: Student 'obsessed with our response times'
Investigators found that Villasenor, who has no prior criminal record, "had every intention of carrying out a school shooting at the Ontario Christian High School," according to Lorenz.
Lorenz added that the teen was "obsessed" with school shootings and police response times. He also researched tactical supplies and was in the process of choosing a date for his attack.
"He was so obsessed with our response times that he Google mapped how far it would be from the Ontario Police Department for our response time to the school," Lorenz said.
Investigators believe Villasenor may have been planning a shooting around April 20, which is the anniversary of the 1999 attack at Columbine High School in Colorado that left 15 people dead, including the two shooters.
Guns in America:In US, celebrations can quickly become tragedies when violence erupts
Investigators discovered arsenal of weapons in teen's home
While searching Villasenor’s home, Lorenz said authorities collected "numerous weapons," including seven rifles, two revolvers, a handgun, and a shotgun along with more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition.
Although Villasenor didn’t have a "hit list," Lorenz said further investigation led police to believe that he was focusing on five students as intended victims and “contemplated” a sixth victim, based on interviews regarding his social interactions with the students.
All the victims were students at Ontario Christian High School, according to Lorenz.
Investigators determined that Villasenor wasn’t “bullied or harassed” but had difficulties “forming relationships with other students and in his social interactions.” Villasenor is in custody at the West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga.
He is ineligible for bail, sheriff’s records show. He was arraigned Thursday and pleaded not guilty to all charges, according to the district attorney’s office.
Contributing: The Associated Press
Follow Rene Ray De La Cruz on X @DP_ReneDeLaCruz
veryGood! (566)
Related
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Mother of US soldier detained in North Korea says life transformed into 'nightmare'
- Gigi Hadid shares rare pictures of daughter Khai on summer outings: 'Best of summer'
- In latest TikTok fad, creators make big bucks off NPC streaming
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Passenger arrested on Delta flight after cutting himself and a flight attendant, authorities say
- Fitch, please! Why Fitch lowered the US credit rating
- 'A violation of our sovereignty': 2 bodies found in Rio Grande, one near a floating barrier
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- CFPB sues auto dealer for illegally locking cars, re-possessing vehicles, other shady activities
Ranking
- Small twin
- Kyle Richards’ Amazon Finds Include a Pick From an Iconic Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Moment
- Federal jury acquits Louisiana trooper caught on camera pummeling Black motorist
- Fitch downgraded U.S. debt, and the stock market slid. Here's what it means.
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Oprah, Meryl Streep and more have donated at least $1 million to help striking actors
- Passenger arrested on Delta flight after cutting himself and a flight attendant, authorities say
- 'An existential crisis': Florida State president, Board of Trustees low on ACC future
Recommendation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Idris Elba is the hero we need in 'Hijack'
Orlando Magic make $50K donation to PAC supporting Ron DeSantis presidential campaign
Reese Witherspoon and Jim Toth Settle Their Divorce 4 Months After Announcing Breakup
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
YouTuber Jimmy MrBeast Donaldson sues company that developed his burgers
3rd Trump ally charged with vote machine tampering as Michigan election case grows
Texas Medicaid drops 82% of its enrollees since April