Current:Home > NewsRescuers attempt manual digging to free 41 Indian workers trapped for over two weeks in tunnel -Prime Capital Blueprint
Rescuers attempt manual digging to free 41 Indian workers trapped for over two weeks in tunnel
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 13:26:30
NEW DELHI (AP) — Authorities in India said on Monday they were set to begin manual digging of what they hoped was the final phase of rescuing the 41 construction workers trapped in a collapsed mountain tunnel in the country’s north for over two weeks.
This came a day after an attempt to drill vertically — an alternate plan to digging horizontally from the front — started, with the newly replaced drilling machine excavating about 20 meters (nearly 65 feet), according to officials.
Devendra Patwal, a disaster management official who is at the accident site, said they were prepared for all kinds of challenges, but hoped they wouldn’t face stiff resistance from the mountain.
“We don’t know what the drilling machine will have to cut through. It could be loose soil or rocks. But we are prepared,” he said.
So far, rescuers have excavated and inserted pipes — after digging horizontally — up to 46 meters (150.9 feet), welded together to serve as a passageway from where the men would be pulled out on wheeled stretchers.
The drilling machine broke down repeatedly because of the mountainous terrain of the area and was damaged irreparably on Friday and had to be replaced.
Rescuers worked overnight to pull out parts of the drilling machine stuck inside the pipes so manual digging could start, said Patwal
The workers have been trapped since Nov. 12 when a landslide in Uttarakhand state caused a portion of the 4.5-kilometer (2.8-mile) tunnel they were building to collapse about 200 meters (650 feet) from the entrance.
The vertical digging, which started Sunday, required the rescuers to excavate about 106 meters (347 feet), officials said. This length is nearly double the approximately 60 meters (196 feet) they need to dig through horizontally from the front.
They could also face similar risks or problems they encountered earlier that damaged the first drilling machine attempting to cut through rocks. The high-intensity vibrations from drilling could also cause more debris to fall.
As the rescue operation entered its 16th day, uncertainty over its fate has been growing. What began as a rescue mission expected to take a few days has turned into weeks, and officials have been hesitant to give a timeline.
Some officials were hopeful that the rescue mission would be completed last week. Arnold Dix, an international expert assisting the rescue team, however, told reporters he was confident the workers would be back with their families by Christmas, suggesting they were prepared for a longer operation.
Most of the trapped workers are migrant laborers from across the country. Many of their families have traveled to the location, where they have camped out for days to get updates on the rescue effort and in hopes of seeing their relatives soon.
Authorities have supplied the trapped workers with hot meals through a six-inch (15-centimeter) pipe after days of surviving only on dry food sent through a narrower pipe. Oxygen is also being supplied through a separate pipe, and more than a dozen doctors, including psychiatrists, have been at the site monitoring their health.
The tunnel the workers were building was designed as part of the Chardham all-weather road, which will connect various Hindu pilgrimage sites. Some experts say the project, a flagship initiative of the federal government, will exacerbate fragile conditions in the upper Himalayas, where several towns are built atop landslide debris.
Large numbers of pilgrims and tourists visit Uttarakhand’s many Hindu temples, with the number increasing over the years because of the continued construction of buildings and roadways.
veryGood! (272)
Related
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Veterans see historic expansion of benefits for toxic exposure as new law nears anniversary
- Maine woman, 87, fights off home invader, then feeds him in her kitchen
- Poet Maggie Smith talks going viral and being confused with that OTHER Maggie Smith
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Niger’s junta rulers ask for help from Russian group Wagner as it faces military intervention threat
- Poet Maggie Smith talks going viral and being confused with that OTHER Maggie Smith
- Rescue organization Hope for Horses opens in Stafford
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Sofia Vergara Sparkles in Pinstriped Style on Girls' Night Out at Taylor Swift's Eras Tour Show
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- 5-year-old girl dies after being struck by starting gate at Illinois harness race
- Flooding in western Kentucky and Tennessee shuts down roads and forces some evacuations
- Taiwanese microchip company agrees to more oversight of its Arizona plant construction
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Buck Showalter makes Baltimore return amid Mets' mess: 'Game will knock you to your knees'
- Saints’ Kamara suspended for 3 games, apologizes for role in 2022 fight, thanks Goodell for meeting
- Save on the Season's Best Styles During the SKIMS End of Summer Sale
Recommendation
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
Employee fired for allowing diesel fuel to leak into city water supply
Evers vetoes GOP proposals on unemployment and gas engines but signs bills on crime
The NIH halts a research project. Is it self-censorship?
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Taylor Swift hugs Kobe Bryant's daughter Bianka during Eras Tour concert
Jon Gosselin's Ex Colleen Conrad Defends His Son Collin Gosselin Against Estranged Family's Allegations
'It's really inspiring': Simone Biles is back, two years after Olympic withdrawal