Current:Home > FinanceChainkeen Exchange-Gilgo Beach serial killing suspect returning to court after a renewed search of his home -Prime Capital Blueprint
Chainkeen Exchange-Gilgo Beach serial killing suspect returning to court after a renewed search of his home
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 16:49:17
NEW YORK (AP) — A New York architect charged in the Gilgo Beach killings will return to court this week after investigators searched his suburban home and Chainkeen Exchangecombed a wooded area elsewhere on Long Island.
Rex Heuermann, who has pleaded not guilty in the deaths of four women whose remains were found along a remote beach highway, will appear Thursday in state court in Riverhead, a spokesperson for the Suffolk County district attorney’s office confirmed. He had previously been scheduled to return to court for a June 18 status hearing.
The new court date comes two weeks after investigators returned to Heuermann’s single-story home in Massapequa Park, where they had recovered a cache of weapons during an initial search following his arrest last summer. A date for Heuermann’s trial has not yet been set.
During the most recent search, which lasted several days, investigators placed paint chips and other materials into evidence bags and removed a large rectangular object covered in a blue cloth.
A spokesperson for the prosecutor’s office would not say whether the upcoming hearing was related to the renewed search effort.
In April, authorities involved in the investigation also spent more than a week searching a wooded area in Manorville, fueling speculation that they were seeking new evidence linked to some of the additional six sets of remains that were discovered along Gilgo Beach more than a decade ago.
Heuermann, 60, was arrested in July in the deaths of Melissa Barthelemy, Megan Waterman and Amber Costello. He was charged in January in the death of Maureen Brainard-Barnes.
His attorney, Michael Brown, has said his client maintains his innocence. He declined to comment on the nature of Thursday’s hearing.
The case had vexed investigators since the remains of eleven people, most of them young women who had been sex workers, were found on a stretch of Gilgo Beach in 2010 and 2011. Authorities have said the investigation into the other victims remains ongoing.
Robert Macedonio, a lawyer for Heuermann’s estranged wife, said the most recent search of the Massapequa Park home was primarily focused on the basement. He said the family was out of state when the search was conducted.
He declined to say what was taken from the home and said the family has not yet received the search warrant affidavit that would spell out their reasons for conducting the search.
During the initial search of the home in July, authorities tore up a wooden deck and used an excavator to dig up the backyard, which they scanned for buried objects using specialized equipment.
The most recent search was far less disruptive, according to Macedonia.
Vess Mitev, a lawyer for Heuermann’s two adult children, said the family was closely monitoring the developments.
“The hearing is yet another mile marker in this macabre saga, where they continue to be unfortunate bystanders,” he said in a text message.
veryGood! (361)
Related
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Dog that walks on hind legs after accident inspires audiences
- Behold the tax free bagel: A New York classic gets a tax day makeover
- Special counsel continues focus on Trump in days after sending him target letter
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Proof Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker Already Chose Their Baby Boy’s Name
- The $1.6 billion Dominion v. Fox News trial starts Tuesday. Catch up here
- DC Young Fly Shares How He Cries All the Time Over Jacky Oh's Death
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Behati Prinsloo Shares Glimpse Inside Family Trip to Paris With Adam Levine and Their 3 Kids
Ranking
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Pink's Reaction to a Fan Giving Her a Large Wheel of Cheese Is the Grate-est
- Proof Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker Already Chose Their Baby Boy’s Name
- AI companies agree to voluntary safeguards, Biden announces
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- This Leakproof Water Bottle With 56,000+ Perfect Amazon Ratings Will Become Your Next Travel Essential
- A career coach unlocks the secret to acing your job interview and combating anxiety
- Warming Trends: British Morning Show Copies Fictional ‘Don’t Look Up’ Newscast, Pinterest Drops Climate Misinformation and Greta’s Latest Book Project
Recommendation
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Nature’s Say: How Voices from Hawai’i Are Reframing the Climate Conversation
Madonna Released From Hospital After Battle With Bacterial Infection
The loneliness of Fox News' Bret Baier
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
The Navy Abandons a Plan to Develop a Golf Course on a Protected Conservation Site Near the Naval Academy in Annapolis
Sabrina Carpenter Has the Best Response to Balloon Mishap During Her Concert
Sabrina Carpenter Has the Best Response to Balloon Mishap During Her Concert