Current:Home > ScamsSan Francisco supervisors bar police robots from using deadly force for now -Prime Capital Blueprint
San Francisco supervisors bar police robots from using deadly force for now
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 19:26:46
SAN FRANCISCO — San Francisco supervisors voted Tuesday to put the brakes on a controversial policy that would let police use robots for deadly force.
The Board of Supervisors voted unanimously to explicitly ban the use of robots in such fashion for now. But they sent the issue back to a committee for further discussion and could allow it in limited cases at another time.
It's a reversal from last week's vote allowing the use of robots in limited cases. The police said they had no plans to arm the robots with guns but wanted the ability to put explosives on them in extraordinary circumstances.
Last week's approval generated pushback and criticism about the potential to deploy robots that can kill people.
Some supervisors said they felt the public did not have enough time to engage in the discussion about whether robots could be used to kill people before the board first voted last week.
The vote was the result of a new state law that requires police departments to inventory military-grade equipment and seek approval for its use.
The approved policy does give the police power to use robots for situational awareness, such as going first into a dangerous situation so police can stay back.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- JetBlue’s CEO is stepping down, and he’ll be replaced by the first woman to lead a big US airline
- Anthony Fauci begins 2 days of interviews with House panel on COVID-19
- Belarus refuses to invite OSCE observers to monitor this year’s parliamentary election
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Inside Kylie Jenner and Timothée Chalamet's PDA-Packed Date Night at the 2024 Golden Globes
- Five reasons why Americans and economists can't agree on the economy
- Brazil observes the anniversary of the anti-democratic uprising in the capital
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Montana governor, first lady buy mansion for $4M for governor’s residence, will donate it to state
Ranking
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Explosion at Texas hotel injures 11 and scatters debris across downtown Fort Worth
- Florence Pugh Rocks Fierce Faux-Hawk and Nipple-Baring Dress at the 2024 Golden Globes
- Maryland governor signs executive order guiding AI use
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Voters begin casting ballots in Bhutan, where an economic crisis looms large
- Indiana Pacers All-Star point guard Tyrese Haliburton carried off floor with injury
- Headless, drained of blood and missing thumbs, cold case victim ID'd after nearly 13 years
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Captain Jason Chambers’ Boating Essentials Include an Eye-Opening Update on a Below Deck Storyline
Gaza cease-fire protests block New York City bridges, and over 300 are arrested
Commanders fire coach Ron Rivera as new ownership begins making changes
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Captain Jason Chambers’ Boating Essentials Include an Eye-Opening Update on a Below Deck Storyline
Trump to return to federal court as judges hear arguments on whether he is immune from prosecution
David Foster's Daughter Sets the Record Straight on Accusation He Abandoned His Older Kids