Current:Home > MarketsGOP-led challenge to voting by mail rejected by New York’s top court -Prime Capital Blueprint
GOP-led challenge to voting by mail rejected by New York’s top court
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 14:36:19
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — A New York law allowing any registered voter to cast a ballot by mail was upheld Tuesday by the state’s highest court, which rejected a Republican challenge to the legislation.
The 6-1 ruling from the state Court of Appeals affirmed lower courts in finding that the voting expansion law approved by the Legislature last year did not violate the state’s constitution. The lawsuit was part of a widespread GOP effort to tighten voting rules after the 2020 election and was led by US. Rep. Elise Stefanik.
Challengers argued that the constitution required most people to vote in person.
Chief Judge Rowan Wilson wrote in the majority opinion that there is no “clear, unequivocal, and persistent” understanding by government that the constitution requires in-person voting.
Democrats attempted to expand mail voting through a constitutional amendment in 2021, but voters rejected the proposal after a campaign from conservatives who said it would lead to voter fraud.
State Republican Party Chairman Ed Cox noted voters’ rejection of the amendment in a prepared statement that called the top court’s decision “an affront” to New Yorkers.
“This holding is clearly contrary to what generations of New York legislators, attorneys and judges had decided and what the people said in 2021 when they rejected the amendment,” Cox said.
veryGood! (95383)
Related
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Jim Carrey Reveals Money Inspired His Return to Acting in Candid Paycheck Confession
- This drug is the 'breakthrough of the year' — and it could mean the end of the HIV epidemic
- Orcas are hunting whale sharks. Is there anything they can't take down?
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Analysis: After Juan Soto’s megadeal, could MLB see a $1 billion contract? Probably not soon
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Chiquis comes from Latin pop royalty. How the regional Mexican star found her own crown
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Social media platform Bluesky nearing 25 million users in continued post
Ranking
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- What is Sora? Account creation paused after high demand of AI video generator
- How Hailee Steinfeld and Josh Allen Navigate Their Private Romance on Their Turf
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Mitt Romney’s Senate exit may create a vacuum of vocal, conservative Trump critics
- Here's how to make the perfect oven
- A fugitive gains fame in New Orleans eluding dart guns and nets
Recommendation
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
Neanderthals likely began 'mixing' with modern humans later than previously thought
A Malibu wildfire prompts evacuation orders and warnings for 20,000, including Dick Van Dyke, Cher
KISS OF LIFE reflects on sold
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
Gas prices set to hit the lowest they've been since 2021, AAA says
Man who jumped a desk to attack a Nevada judge in the courtroom is sentenced
Donald Trump is returning to the world stage. So is his trolling