Current:Home > ContactWill Messi, Ronaldo meet again? Inter Miami denies scheduling match with Al-Nassr -Prime Capital Blueprint
Will Messi, Ronaldo meet again? Inter Miami denies scheduling match with Al-Nassr
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 17:12:56
Correction/clarification: A previous version of this story incorrectly reported the status of a proposed Inter Miami match against Al-Nassr.
News Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo could take the pitch together next year was met with worldwide excitement, but Inter Miami has refuted a Tuesday announcement it will play in Saudi Arabia.
"Earlier today, an announcement was issued stating that Inter Miami CF is scheduled to play in the Riyadh Season Cup. This is inaccurate. The release included statements attributed to team owner Jorge Mas. Mas has made no comments, publicly or privately, in relation to the preseason tour," Inter Miami's statement said. "Since day one, Inter Miami CF has set out to be a global brand. To this end, we have been in conversations to determine our 2024 preseason schedule.
"We look forward to showcasing our players on Inter Miami CF’s first international tour, which will be announced in the coming weeks."
The Messi and Ronaldo matchup would have given fans around the world perhaps one last chance to debate who is the greatest soccer player in the world.
The statement released earlier Tuesday by Saudi sports and entertainment official Turki Al-Sheikh said Inter Miami would play Al-Nassr, Ronaldo's Saudi-based club, in a 'last dance' as part of the Riyadh Season Cup at Kingdom Arena in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Messi, 36, and Ronaldo, 38, have 13 Ballon d’Or awards between them, with Messi recently winning his eighth award, the most of any player. Ronaldo is next in line with five Ballon d’Ors. And a matchup between them at this stage of their career would only feed into the never-ending debate among soccer fans as which player is the greatest.
The last time Messi and Ronaldo met was earlier this year, when Messi and Paris Saint-Germain edged Ronaldo and a team of Saudi all-stars 5-4. Both Messi and Ronaldo scored during the affair.
Saudi Arabia and concerns about sportswashing
Massive sports stars participating in Saudi-backed events and leagues is nothing new, and has raised concerns in recent years about sportswashing — using major sporting events and global superstars to erase a poor public image due to a long history of human rights violations.
The Saudis have been gaining a foothold in various sports. In soccer, the Saudi Pro League lured Ronaldo, Neymar and others with massive contracts clubs around the world could not match. Messi also received an offer reportedly close to $400 million per year from Al-Hilal before opting to join Inter Miami. Saudis also own the Premier League's Newcastle United FC.
FIFA came under fire earlier this year for considering the Saudi tourist bureau as a sponsor for the 2023 World Cup. It also ensured there would be little to no competition for the Saudi bid for the 2034 World Cup.
The Saudi-funded LIV golf tour made waves when it launched in 2021 and lured away major PGA Tour stars and caused strife in the golf world. It was so successful in its goal, the PGA Tour agreed to a merger earlier this year, though it has yet to be finalized.
Saudi Arabia has also invested in F1, major boxing matches such as Jake Paul vs. Tommy Fury, and is heavily involved in horse racing. The NBA has also hosted games in Abu Dhabi.
USA TODAY Sports senior editor Alicia DelGallo and columnist Nancy Armour contributed to this report.
veryGood! (31663)
Related
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- AP Week in Pictures: North America
- Suburban Detroit woman says she found a live frog in a spinach container
- Police fatally shoot armed man in northeast Arkansas, but his family says he was running away
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Coach parent Tapestry and Versace owner Capri fashion a $8.5 billion merger
- Disney plans to hike streaming prices, join Netflix in crack down on subscription sharing
- No Gatekeeping: Here’s the Trick I’ve Used Since 2016 To Eliminate Ingrown Hairs and Razor Bumps
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Former Catholic priest admits to sexual misconduct with 11-year-old boy he took on beach vacation
Ranking
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Last chance to pre-order new Samsung Galaxy devices—save up to $1,000 today
- Millions of kids are missing weeks of school as attendance tanks across the US
- How to help or donate in response to the deadly wildfire in Maui
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- North Carolina roller coaster reopens after a large crack launched a state investigation
- To the moon and back: Astronauts get 1st look at Artemis II craft ahead of lunar mission
- Northern Ireland’s top police officer apologizes for ‘industrial scale’ data breach
Recommendation
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
Inflation rose 3.2% in July, marking the first increase after a year of falling prices
Da Brat and Wife Jesseca Judy Harris-Dupart Share First Photos of Son True Legend
2023 Atlantic hurricane outlook worsens as ocean temperatures hit record highs, forecasters say
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Missing man found alive, his dad still missing and 2 bodies recovered in Arizona case
Writers Guild of America to resume negotiations with studios amid ongoing writers strike
Lindsay Lohan’s Brother Dakota Shares Photo With “Precious” Nephew Luai