Current:Home > FinanceTexas Gov. Abbott announces buoy barrier in Rio Grande to combat border crossings -Prime Capital Blueprint
Texas Gov. Abbott announces buoy barrier in Rio Grande to combat border crossings
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 18:22:28
Texas is set to deploy a buoy barrier in the Rio Grande as part of plans to deter migrant crossings, Gov. Greg Abbott announced Thursday.
He shared the news after he signed six bills related to border security. Funding will come from $5.1 billion approved by the state legislature to secure the border.
"What we're doing right now, we're securing the border at the border," Abbott said. "What these buoys will allow us to do is to prevent people from even getting to the border."
The first 1,000 feet of buoys will be deployed at Eagle Pass, which Steve McCraw, director of the state's Department of Public Safety, called "the center of gravity for smuggling." The first deployment will cost under $1 million and will begin "pretty much immediately." Officials did not share a more specific number for the cost of the barrier.
A Texas National Guard member drowned last year in Eagle Pass while attempting to rescue migrants in the river.
"We don't want people to come across and continue to put their lives at risk when they come between the points of entry," McCraw said.
The buoys have been tested by special operators, tactical operators and specialists with Border Patrol, McCraw said. It can be quickly deployed and can be moved as needed.
Officials hope the buoys will act as a deterrent to prevent migrants from entering the water. While there are ways to overcome the buoys, which can range in size, it will take a lot of effort and specialized skills.
"You could sit there for a couple of days and hold onto it, but eventually you're going to get tired and want to go back. You'll get hungry," McCraw said.
There will also be webbing going down into the water and anchors to the bottom so people cannot swim underneath.
The Texas chapter of the League of United Latin Americans Citizens condemned Abbott's plan. State Director Rodolfo Rosales denounced it as an inhumane, barbaric and ill-conceived plan. Rosales said the organization stands against any measure that could lead to a loss of migrant life, but did not specify what dangers the organization felt the buoy barrier could pose.
"We view it as a chilling reminder of the extreme measures used throughout history by elected leaders against those they do not regard as human beings, seeking only to exterminate them, regardless of the means employed. It is with profound horror and shame that we bear witness to the consideration of these measures, which are evidently intended as political theatre but will undoubtedly result in the loss of innocent lives among the refugees seeking asylum in the United States.
- In:
- Immigration
- Texas
- U.S.-Mexico Border
- Rio Grande
Aliza Chasan is a digital producer at 60 Minutes and CBS News.
TwitterveryGood! (29)
Related
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Missing 1923 Actor Cole Brings Plenty Found Dead in Woods at 27
- March Madness: Caitlin Clark, Iowa will meet South Carolina for national title Sunday
- WrestleMania's Rock star: Why Dwayne Johnson's WWE uber-heel is his greatest role ever
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Sheriff says man held at problem-plagued jail in Atlanta was stabbed to death by another detainee
- Sean Diddy Combs and Son Christian Sued Over Alleged Sexual Assault and Battery
- At least 11 Minneapolis officers disciplined amid unrest after George Floyd’s murder, reports show
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Pregnant Lea Michele Cradles Bump in First Appearance Since Announcing Baby No. 2
Ranking
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Saniya Rivers won a title at South Carolina and wants another, this time with NC State
- What's story behind NC State's ice cream tradition? How it started and what fans get wrong
- East Coast earthquakes aren’t common, but they are felt by millions. Here’s what to know
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Fire outside the Vermont office of Sen. Bernie Sanders causes minor damage
- Got your eclipse glasses? This nonprofit wants you to recycle them after April 8 eclipse
- NBA fines 76ers $100,000 for violating injury reporting rules
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Man convicted in decades-long identity theft that led to his victim being jailed
'No that wasn't the sound system': Yankees react to earthquake shaking ground on Opening Day
Nickelodeon Host Marc Summers Says He Walked Off Quiet on Set After “Bait and Switch” Was Pulled
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Chick-fil-A via drone delivery? How the fight for sky dominance is heating up
At least 11 Minneapolis officers disciplined amid unrest after George Floyd’s murder, reports show
Apple's App Store, Apple TV, other online services go down Wednesday