Current:Home > ScamsElon Musk spars with actor James Woods over X's blocking feature -Prime Capital Blueprint
Elon Musk spars with actor James Woods over X's blocking feature
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:43:38
Elon Musk didn't seem shaken by actor James Woods' threat to stop using X if the social media platform moves ahead with a plan to eliminate a feature that lets users block others. "Then delete your account," the billionaire tweeted.
The brusque reply, which the X owner posted to the site on Sunday, came after Woods, a one-time Musk supporter, vowed to leave the platform (formerly known as Twitter) if Musk stripped users' ability to bar certain accounts from viewing and interacting with their posts.
"In the midst of a libel suit I was targeted by thirty trolls the defendant enlisted to harass me," Woods said in a post last week when the news came out. "If [Musk removes X's blocking feature], I will have no choice but to retire from this site."
Then delete your account
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) August 20, 2023
Musk, who calls himself a free speech absolutist, announced in a post last Friday that X would end users' ability to limit their interactions with certain accounts except for direct messages, adding in a later post that the block feature "makes no sense" for the platform.
The planned change caused an uproar among some users, some of whom have also vowed to leave X if the feature is removed.
"I will absolutely delete my account and leave this app if X attempts to even *test* this policy, wrote one user. "It's absolutely sick and disgusting."
"As a female climate scientist, blocking is the only thing that makes my engagement here on Twitter/X possible," another user said.
It remains unclear if or when X might remove its blocking button. If the change goes into effect, X could be removed from the Google Play and Apple app stores, potentially deepening the social media platform's financial troubles. Both digital storefronts require apps involving user-generated content to offer a blocking feature.
X responded to CBS MoneyWatch's request for comment with an email saying, "We'll get back to you soon."
Boosting free speech — or revenue?
In another post, Woods challenged interpretations of X's policy change as a step toward promoting free speech on the site, speculating that the decision had more to do with boosting the site's ad revenue.
"Users of X are mere pawns to turn the site into an electronic shopping mall," Woods said in a post on Saturday. "The man I thought was a defender of free speech is just another greedy capitalist."
Thank you. If @elonmusk removes the ability to block concerted harassment by trolls or organized political entities, how will “X” be any different from Jack Dorsey’s horrid Twitter?
— James Woods (@RealJamesWoods) August 19, 2023
Musk, whom I once championed, is only doing this to protect his advertisers anyway. Users of X… https://t.co/bR3oMU4f2P
Last month, Musk revealed the social media company's advertising revenue had plunged roughly 50%. X also faces competition from alternative blogging platforms like Meta-backed Threads and Bluesky.
- In:
- Elon Musk
veryGood! (86)
prev:Travis Hunter, the 2
next:Sam Taylor
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Three biggest surprise picks from first round of 2024 NBA draft
- Judge sentences man to life in prison for killing St. Louis police officer
- Powerball winning numbers for June 26: Jackpot rises to $95 million
- Average rate on 30
- NASA awards SpaceX nearly $1 billion contract to build ISS deorbit spacecraft
- Former Arkansas legislator Joyce Elliott experiences stroke, undergoes surgery, her family says
- Jon Stewart hosts 'The Daily Show' live after presidential debate: When and how to watch.
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- John O’Keefe, the victim in the Karen Read trial, was a veteran officer and devoted father figure
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Elon Musk has reportedly fathered 12 children. Why are people so bothered?
- Lakers draft Bronny James: What it means for him, team and LeBron's future
- News nonprofit sues ChatGPT maker OpenAI and Microsoft for ‘exploitative’ copyright infringement
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Michigan woman to stand trial in crash that killed young brother and sister at birthday party
- A 102-year-old Holocaust survivor graces the cover of Vogue Germany
- NHL award winners: Colorado Avalanche's Nathan MacKinnon sweeps MVP awards
Recommendation
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Arizona wound care company charged for billing older patients about $1 million each in skin graft scheme
Killer Mike will likely avoid charges after Grammys arrest
Judge stops parents’ effort to collect on $50M Alex Jones owes for saying Newtown shooting was hoax
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Meme stock investor Roaring Kitty posts a cryptic image of a dog, and Chewy's stock jumps
First officer is convicted of murder since Washington state law eased prosecution of police
Why Simone Biles is 'close to unstoppable' as she just keeps getting better with age