Current:Home > MarketsJapan’s Fukushima nuclear plant further delays removal of melted fuel debris -Prime Capital Blueprint
Japan’s Fukushima nuclear plant further delays removal of melted fuel debris
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 21:35:23
TOKYO (AP) — The operator of the tsunami-hit nuclear plant in Fukushima announced Thursday a delay of several more months before launching a test to remove melted fuel debris from inside one of the reactors, citing problems clearing the way for a robotic arm.
The debris cleanup initially was supposed to be started by 2021, but it has been plagued with delays, underscoring the difficulty of recovering from the plant’s meltdown after a magnitude 9.0 quake and tsunami in March 2011.
The disasters destroyed the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant’s power supply and cooling systems, causing three reactors to melt down, and massive amounts of fatally radioactive melted nuclear fuel remain inside to this day.
The government and the Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings, or TEPCO, initially committed to start removing the melted fuel from inside one of the three damaged reactors within 10 years of the disaster.
In 2019, the government and TEPCO decided to start removing melted fuel debris by the end of 2021 from the No. 2 reactor after a remote-controlled robot successfully clipped and lifted a granule of melted fuel during an internal probe.
But the coronavirus pandemic delayed development of the robotic arm, and the plan was pushed to 2022. Then, glitches with the arm repeatedly have delayed the project since then.
On Thursday, TEPCO officials pushed back the planned start from March to October of this year.
TEPCO officials said that the inside of a planned entryway for the robotic arm is filled with deposits believed to be melted equipment, cables and other debris from the meltdown, and their harder-than-expected removal has delayed the plan.
TEPCO now is considering using a slimmer, telescope-shaped kind of robot to start the debris removal.
About 880 tons of highly radioactive melted nuclear fuel remain inside the three damaged reactors. Critics say the 30- to 40-year cleanup target set by the government and TEPCO for Fukushima Daiichi is overly optimistic. The damage in each reactor is different and plans need to be formed to accommodate their conditions.
TEPCO has previously tried sending robots inside each of the three reactors but got hindered by debris, high radiation and inability to navigate them through the rubble, though they were able to gather some data in recent years.
Getting more details about the melted fuel debris from inside the reactors is crucial for their decommissioning. TEPCO plans to deploy four mini drones and a snake-shaped remote-controlled robot into the No. 1 reactor’s primary containment vessel in February to capture images from the areas where robots have not reached previously.
TEPCO also announced plans Thursday to release 54,000 tons of the treated radioactive wastewater in seven rounds of releases from April through March 2025 as part of the ongoing discharge plan.
Japan began releasing the plant’s treated and diluted radioactive wastewater into the sea in August, a decades-long project to remove it and make room for facilities needed for the decommissioning.
While Japan says the water is way safer than international releasable standards, the discharges have been strongly opposed by fishing groups and neighboring countries including China and South Korea.
veryGood! (32825)
Related
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- At least 40 villagers shot dead in latest violence in Nigeria’s conflict-hit north
- What’s in a name? A Trump embraces ex-president’s approach in helping lead Republican Party
- Toronto Blue Jays fan hit in head with 110 mph foul ball gets own Topps trading card
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Israel’s block of AP transmission shows how ambiguity in law could restrict war coverage
- Mississippi woman pleads guilty to stealing government funds
- Effort to ID thousands of bones found in Indiana pushes late businessman’s presumed victims to 13
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Pope Francis speaks about his health and whether he'd ever retire
Ranking
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Priyanka Chopra Debuts Bob Haircut to Give Better View of $43 Million Jewels
- The Voice Crowns Season 25 Winner
- Massachusetts man ordered to pay nearly $4M for sexually harassing sober home tenants
- Trump's 'stop
- Protesters against war in Gaza interrupt Blinken repeatedly in the Senate
- Ex-South African leader Zuma, now a ruling party critic, is disqualified from next week’s election
- Delaware lawmakers OK bill enabling board of political appointees to oversee hospital budgets
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Archaeologists search English crash site of World War II bomber for remains of lost American pilot
Ex-Southern Baptist seminary administrator charged with falsifying records in DOJ inquiry
'The Voice' finale: Reba McEntire scores victory with soulful powerhouse Asher HaVon
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
Average US vehicle age hits record 12.6 years as high prices force people to keep them longer
Pesticide concerns prompt recall of nearly 900,000 Yogi Echinacea Immune Support tea bags
Saudi Arabia’s national carrier orders more than 100 new Airbus jets as it ramps up tourism push