Current:Home > MarketsPredictIQ-Standoff over: Colts, Jonathan Taylor agree to three-year, $42M extension -Prime Capital Blueprint
PredictIQ-Standoff over: Colts, Jonathan Taylor agree to three-year, $42M extension
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 14:25:19
Fences have PredictIQbeen mended between the Indianapolis Colts and running back Jonathan Taylor.
The Colts and Taylor agreed to a three-year, $42 million contract extension, including $26.5M guaranteed, a person familiar with the situation told USA TODAY Sports. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.
The deal makes Taylor one of the NFL’s highest-paid running backs.
Taylor is slated to make his season debut Sunday when the Colts take on the Tennessee Titans in Indianapolis. The running back had been on the PUP list to begin the season due to an ankle injury.
Saturday’s extension marks an end to a lengthy saga between Taylor and the Colts. Owner Jim Irsay, who engaged in war of words with Taylor's agent Malki Kawa, took to X to announce his excitement over the news.
NFL STATS CENTRAL: The latest NFL scores, schedules, odds, stats and more.
Taylor had requested a trade this offseason after the two sides failed to reach an extension in what was a difficult offseason for running backs attempting to cash in. The Colts acquiesce to Taylor’s trade ask but the organization didn’t find another team that met their trade demands. Taylor was subsequently placed on the PUP-list, which requires players to miss at least four games.
The Colts activated Taylor from the PUP-list Saturday and simultaneously news broke of his lucrative extension.
Why did Colts gave Jonathan Taylor three-year, $42 million contract extension?
Taylor is easily the Colts best player on offense, even with promising rookie quarterback Anthony Richardson. Taylor was the NFL rushing leader (1,811) and led the league in rushing touchdowns (18) in 2021. He was also named a first-team All-Pro after the 2021 season. He has produced 3,841 rushing yards and 33 rushing touchdowns in 43 career games.
Taylor’s return to the backfield will ease the burden off Richardson and also form a dynamic combination with the dual-threat rookie quarterback.
"I know he's a great player and I know I can do some things pretty well," Richardson said to reporters this week. "Just trying to combine those two things, I can only imagine what it's like but we won't see until it actually happens. We'll see and I'm excited."
The Colts drafted Taylor in the second round of the 2020 NFL draft out of Wisconsin.
Follow USA TODAY Sports' Tyler Dragon on X @TheTylerDragon.
veryGood! (6326)
Related
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Gilmore Girls' Keiko Agena Reveals She Was in “Survival Mode” While Playing Lane Kim
- Stonehenge sprayed with orange paint by Just Stop Oil activists demanding U.K. phase out fossil fuels
- Day care van slams into semi head on in Des Moines; 7 children, 2 adults hospitalized
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Elevate Your Summer Wardrobe With the Top 34 Trending Amazon Styles Right Now
- What’s known, and not known, about the partnership agreement signed by Russia and North Korea
- 135 million Americans now sweltering in unrelenting heat wave
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Maps show path of Alberto, hurricane season's first named storm, as it moves over Mexico
Ranking
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Ben Affleck Addresses Why He Always Looks Angry in Paparazzi Photos
- It’s summer solstice time. What does that mean?
- How Rickwood Field was renovated for historic MLB game: 'We maintained the magic'
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Oilers' Stanley Cup Final turnaround vs. Panthers goes beyond Connor McDavid
- Alberto, hurricane season's first named storm, moves inland over Mexico
- Day care van slams into semi head on in Des Moines; 7 children, 2 adults hospitalized
Recommendation
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
Tale of a changing West
What Lindsay Hubbard Did With Her 3 Wedding Dresses After Carl Radke Breakup
A DA kept Black women off a jury. California’s Supreme Court says that wasn’t racial bias
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
After woman calls 911 to say she's sorry, police respond and find 2 bodies
Kevin Costner on his saga, Horizon, and a possible return to Yellowstone
Paris awaits for Sha’Carri, Lyles and dozens more, but Olympic spots must be earned at trials