Current:Home > FinancePoinbank Exchange|Fox News allowed to pursue claims that voting firm’s defamation suit is anti-free speech -Prime Capital Blueprint
Poinbank Exchange|Fox News allowed to pursue claims that voting firm’s defamation suit is anti-free speech
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 14:18:20
NEW YORK (AP) — A judge refused this week to toss out Fox News’ claims that voting technology company Smartmatic is Poinbank Exchangesuing the network to suppress free speech. The ruling means that both Smartmatic’s multibillion-dollar defamation lawsuit and the network’s counterclaims can continue toward an eventual trial.
Smartmatic says Fox News spread ruinous lies that the voting company helped rig the 2020 election against then-U.S. President Donald Trump. The network denies the allegations and is countersuing under a New York law against launching baseless litigation to squelch reporting or criticism on public issues — known as “strategic lawsuits against public participation,” or SLAPP, in legal parlance.
Smartmatic’s nearly 3-year-old suit is separate from, but similar to, the Dominion Voting Systems case that Fox settled for $787 million last year. Fox didn’t apologize but acknowledged that the court in that case had found “certain claims about Dominion to be false.”
Both sides in the Smartmatic case have tried unsuccessfully to get the other’s claims tossed out. Trial and appellate courts already gave Smartmatic the green light to continue. On Wednesday, trial Judge David B. Cohen said Fox News’ counterclaims also could go ahead.
Fox’s argument — essentially, that Smartmatic’s $2.7 billion claim is so inflated that it could only be meant to silence the network — “has not yet been adjudicated in any court,” Cohen wrote in his decision, filed Tuesday.
The Associated Press sent email messages seeking comment to the network and to Smartmatic’s attorneys.
Florida-based Smartmatic says that in the 2020 presidential election, its technology and software were used only in California’s Los Angeles County. The Democratic bastion — not seen as an election battleground — went for the Democratic nominee, current President Joe Biden.
But in Fox News appearances after Election Day 2020, Trump lawyers Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell portrayed Smartmatic as part of a broad scheme to steal the vote from the Republican incumbent. Giuliani asserted that the company had been “formed in order to fix elections.” Powell called it a “huge criminal conspiracy,” and the two claimed that proof would be forthcoming.
Federal and state election officials, exhaustive reviews in battleground states and Trump’s own attorney general found no widespread fraud that could have changed the outcome of the 2020 election. Nor did they uncover any credible evidence that the vote was tainted. Trump’s allegations of fraud also were roundly rejected by dozens of courts, including by judges whom he had appointed.
A Delaware judge presiding over the Dominion lawsuit ruled last March that it was “CRYSTAL clear” that none of the allegations that Trump allies made on Fox News about that company were true. The case was going to trial when Fox settled.
The Dominion case involved some of the same broadcasts and statements as the Smartmatic suit, and Smartmatic argued that the Delaware ruling should blow Fox’s counterclaims out of the water. Cohen said otherwise, citing — among other things — particulars of legal doctrine about when decisions in one case apply to another.
“Not all elements of plaintiff’s defamation claims have been already been determined” against Fox, he wrote.
Smartmatic blames Fox for ruining its reputation and business. Its value declined to “a fraction of what it was,” and support lines, customer-service inboxes and company officers were deluged with threats after the broadcasts, the voting company has said in court papers.
Fox News has said it was simply covering influential figures — the president and his lawyers — making undeniably newsworthy allegations of election fraud. The network also maintains that Smartmatic is greatly overstating its losses and Fox’s responsibility for them.
In its counterclaims, Fox is seeking attorneys’ fees and costs.
veryGood! (566)
Related
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- FDA panel overwhelmingly votes against experimental ALS treatment pushed by patients
- National Coffee Day 2023: Dunkin', Krispy Kreme and more coffee spots have deals, promotions
- Israel says it foiled Iranian plot to target, spy on senior Israeli politicians
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- 3 people die in a crash involving 4 vehicles in New Hampshire
- UAW to announce next round of strike targets Friday: 'Everything is on the table'
- 'Candelaria': Melissa Lozada-Oliva tackles cannibalism and yoga wellness cults in new novel
- Small twin
- 1000-Lb. Sisters' Tammy Slaton Shares New Glimpse at Weight Loss Transformation
Ranking
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Hundreds attend funeral for high school band director who died in bus crash
- Murder suspect mistakenly released from Indianapolis jail captured in Minnesota
- Watch the joyous energy between this jumping baby goat and adorable little girl
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Renting vs. buying a house: The good option for your wallet got even better this year
- Hollywood actors to resume negotiations with studios on Monday as writers strike ends
- Ending reign as speaker, North Carolina Rep. Tim Moore won’t run for House seat in ’24, either
Recommendation
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Week 5 college football picks: Predictions for every Top 25 game on jam-packed weekend
Boyfriend of missing mother arrested in connection with her 2015 disappearance
Kellie Pickler's Late Husband Kyle Jacobs Honored at Family Memorial After His Death
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2023 induction ceremony to stream on Disney+, with Elton John performing
Indiana state comptroller Tera Klutz will resign in November after nearly 7 years in state post
'Never be the same': Maui fire victims seek answers, accountability at Washington hearing