Current:Home > ContactCourt pauses order limiting Biden administration contact with social media companies -Prime Capital Blueprint
Court pauses order limiting Biden administration contact with social media companies
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 21:43:41
NEW ORLEANS — A federal appeals court Friday temporarily paused a lower court's order limiting executive branch officials' communications with social media companies about controversial online posts.
Biden administration lawyers had asked the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans to stay the preliminary injunction issued on July 4 by U.S. District Judge Terry Doughty. Doughty himself had rejected a request to put his order on hold pending appeal.
Friday's brief 5th Circuit order put Doughty's injunction on hold "until further orders of the court." It called for arguments in the case to be scheduled on an expedited basis.
Filed last year, the lawsuit claimed the administration, in effect, censored free speech by discussing possible regulatory action the government could take while pressuring companies to remove what it deemed misinformation. COVID-19 vaccines, legal issues involving President Joe Biden's son Hunter and election fraud allegations were among the topics spotlighted in the lawsuit.
Doughty, nominated to the federal bench by former President Donald Trump, issued an Independence Day order and accompanying reasons that covered more than 160 pages. He said the plaintiffs were likely to win their ongoing lawsuit. His injunction blocked the Department of Health and Human Services, the FBI and multiple other government agencies and administration officials from "encouraging, pressuring, or inducing in any manner the removal, deletion, suppression, or reduction of content containing protected free speech."
Administration lawyers said the order was overly broad and vague, raising questions about what officials can say in conversations with social media companies or in public statements. They said Doughty's order posed a threat of "grave" public harm by chilling executive branch efforts to combat online misinformation.
Doughty rejected the administration's request for a stay on Monday, writing: "Defendants argue that the injunction should be stayed because it might interfere with the Government's ability to continue working with social-media companies to censor Americans' core political speech on the basis of viewpoint. In other words, the Government seeks a stay of the injunction so that it can continue violating the First Amendment."
In its request that the 5th Circuit issue a stay, administration lawyers said there has been no evidence of threats by the administration. "The district court identified no evidence suggesting that a threat accompanied any request for the removal of content. Indeed, the order denying the stay — presumably highlighting the ostensibly strongest evidence — referred to 'a series of public media statements,'" the administration said.
Friday's "administrative stay" was issued without comment by a panel of three 5th Circuit judges: Carl Stewart, nominated to the court by former President Bill Clinton; James Graves, nominated by former President Barack Obama; and Andrew Oldham, nominated by Trump. A different panel drawn from the court, which has 17 active members, will hear arguments on a longer stay.
veryGood! (68371)
Related
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Nordstrom Limited Time Beauty Deals: Drybar, St. Tropez, MAC, It Cosmetics, Giorgio Armani, and More
- Bridget Everett and Jeff Hiller Explain Importance of Somebody Somewhere’s Queer Representation
- Mother’s Day Gifts For Self-Care To Help Her Pamper, Relax & Chill
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- See Anthony Anderson's Hilariously Chaotic Vacation With Mom Doris in First Trailer for New E! Series
- Will Mayim Bialik Appear in New Big Bang Theory Spinoff? She Says…
- Chris Appleton Thanks Fiancé Lukas Gage for Being His Rock During Sweet Awards Shout-Out
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Why deforestation means less rain in tropical forests
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Travis Barker Jokes That Enemas Are the Secret to His Marriage With Kourtney Kardashian
- Miley Cyrus Goes Back to Her Roots With Brunette Hair Transformation
- Sydney Sweeney Makes Rare Appearance With Fiancé Jonathan Davino
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Rita Ora and Taika Waititi Bring the Love and Looks to 2023 Met Gala
- The Hunger Games' Alexander Ludwig Celebrates 5 Years of Sobriety in Moving Self-Love Message
- This Isn't Gossip: Here's Proof Blake Lively Is the Queen of the Met Gala
Recommendation
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
Prince William's Role in King Charles III's Coronation Revealed
Everything to Know About Xeomin, the Trendy Botox Alternative
Harry Potter's Bonnie Wright Is Pregnant, Expecting First Baby With Husband Andrew Lococo
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Get 3 Pairs of BaubleBar Earrings for $12 and More Disney Jewelry Deals
Today’s Climate: April 19, 2010
El Niño has officially begun. Here's what that means for the U.S.