Current:Home > MarketsNew York AG plans to call Trump and his adult sons as witnesses in upcoming trial -Prime Capital Blueprint
New York AG plans to call Trump and his adult sons as witnesses in upcoming trial
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 19:09:00
New York Attorney General Letitia James plans to call former President Donald Trump and his adult sons to the stand during their $250 million civil trial on fraud charges slated to start next week, according to a list of witnesses the AG has filed with the court.
In a pretrial ruling on Tuesday, a Judge Arthur Engoron ordered the cancelation of the Trump Organization's business certificates in the state after determining that Trump submitted "fraudulent valuations" for assets that were then used by himself, his eldest sons and his business to obtain better loan and insurance terms.
Still to be determined at trial is the question of what additional penalties Trump might face, as well as several causes of action included in the attorney general's suit.
MORE: Judge rules Trump engaged in repeated fraud, effectively deciding central question in $250M civil trial
Trump is currently slated to be the government's second-to-last witness in the AG's case.
The attorney general's witness list also includes Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen, Trump's daughter Ivanka Trump, co-defendants Allen Weisselberg and Jeffrey McConney, and multiple current and former Trump Organization executives.
The first witness they plan to call is Trump's former accountant Donald Bender of Mazars USA, which last year severed its business relationship with Trump after learning of the NYAG's findings. During the Trump Organization's 2022 criminal trial on charges of helping certain executives evade taxes, Bender testified that Trump reported massive losses on his tax returns, including losing a combined $1 billion between 2009 and 2010.
A Manhattan jury ultimately found the Trump Organization guilty of criminal tax fraud.
In total, the attorney general's office plans to call 28 witnesses to present their case in the upcoming trial, and also listed 25 additional witnesses they could use on rebuttal, according to the filing.
In their witness list, Trump and his co-defendants reserved the right to call over 130 witnesses for their case, including Trump and his adult sons.
While the witness lists were updated after Tuesday's ruling by the judge, they might change as the trial proceeds.
Trump attorney Alina Habba said Tuesday that Trump plans to immediately appeal what she called the judge's "fundamentally flawed" decision.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant to lead star-studded roster at Paris Olympics
- Historic Copenhagen stock exchange, one of the city's oldest buildings, goes up in flames
- 2024 MLB MVP power rankings: Who is leading the AL, NL races 20 games into the season?
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- California sets long-awaited drinking water limit for ‘Erin Brockovich’ contaminant
- Simone Biles thought 'world is going to hate me' after she left team final at Tokyo Games
- Western States Could Make Billions Selling Renewable Energy, But They’ll Need a Lot More Regional Transmission Lines
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Uri Berliner, NPR editor who criticized the network of liberal bias, says he's resigning
Ranking
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- New Black congressional district in Louisiana bows to politics, not race, backers say
- Historic Copenhagen stock exchange, one of the city's oldest buildings, goes up in flames
- Log book from WWII ship that sank off Florida mysteriously ends up in piece of furniture in Massachusetts
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Who is Bob Graham? Here’s what to know about the former Florida governor and senator
- How many rounds are in the NFL draft? Basic info to know for 2024 event
- Athletes beware: Jontay Porter NBA betting scheme is a lesson in stupidity
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Appeals court leaves temporary hold on New Jersey’s county line primary ballot design in place
Oklahoma man arrested after authorities say he threw a pipe bomb at Satanic Temple in Massachusetts
Takeaways from AP’s story on the BP oil spill medical settlement’s shortcomings
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Kentucky spokeswoman: School is ‘distressed’ to hear of alleged sexual misconduct by ex-swim coach
Who owns businesses in California? A lawmaker wants the public to know
Dawn Staley shares Beyoncé letter to South Carolina basketball after national championship