Current:Home > InvestRekubit Exchange:Critics seek delay in planned cap on shelter for homeless families in Massachusetts -Prime Capital Blueprint
Rekubit Exchange:Critics seek delay in planned cap on shelter for homeless families in Massachusetts
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 00:43:44
BOSTON (AP) — Lawyers representing homeless families in Massachusetts are Rekubit Exchangeasking the courts to temporarily bar the state from capping the number of families offered emergency shelter.
Democratic Gov. Maura Healey has said the state will cap the number of families at 7,500 and create a waiting list. Those with the highest needs will prioritized, Healey said.
As of Tuesday, the state reported 7,389 families were enrolled in the state’s emergency shelter system. Healey said 40 to 50 new families are requesting shelter each day and that an influx of migrants is driving the spike in demand.
Critics say Healey’s plan violates the state’s “right-to-shelter” law. Under the law, Massachusetts is legally required to provide shelter to eligible families through the emergency assistance program.
Lawyers for Civil Rights, a nonprofit based in Boston, filed the class-action lawsuit on behalf of three families on the brink of homelessness, arguing that Healey’s changes are being rushed into place without any public process or required notice to the Legislature.
When the Legislature funded the program, it required the agency in charge — the Executive Office of Housing and Livable Communities — to give lawmakers 90 days notice of any changes in case they wanted to intervene, lawyers for the group argued.
A ruling could come down as early as Wednesday about whether the Healey administration can institute the cap and wait list without the 90 day notice.
Healey said the state isn’t abandoning the right to shelter law, but has to deal with shelter capacity.
“We do not have the shelter space, the physical space. We do not have the number of shelter providers and service providers to be able to withstand this capacity and we don’t have the funding,” Healey said Tuesday on WBUR.
Kelly Turley, director of the Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless, called the cap artificial and said it could force families to make untenable choices.
“For families right now that are ineligible for shelter they’re often going back to unsafe places. They’re staying doubled or tripled-up with family members or friends, going to hospital emergency rooms, staying in cars, campgrounds,” she said.
Also Tuesday, Edward Augustus the state’s secretary of housing and livable communities, issued a declaration finding the current rate of expansion in the emergency shelter program unsustainable. The declaration helps pave the way for the creation of the wait list and cap on new families.
Healey said a larger problem is the lack of enough affordable housing in the state. Earlier this month. Healey unveiled a $4 billion bill aimed at creating new homes and making housing more affordable.
On Monday, Healey announced that the state is teaming with federal officials to help migrants apply for work authorization permits and move out of the shelter system.
Democratic Massachusetts House Speaker Ronald Mariano said Monday the House has no plans to change the 1983 right-to-shelter law but continues to evaluate the need for additional funding.
Families are spread out across hundreds of locations in 90 cities and towns in a range of facilities, from traditional shelters to temporary sites like college dorms.
veryGood! (59)
Related
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- John Stamos opens up about 'shattering' divorce from Rebecca Romijn, childhood sexual assault
- Intel bulletin says terror groups are calling on supporters to target U.S., Israeli interests amid Israel-Hamas conflict
- Black dolls made from 1850s to 1940s now on display in Rochester museum exhibit
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- A composer's surprising decision to be buried in a mass grave
- European court says Italy violated rights of residents near Naples over garbage crisis
- Jordan will continue to bleed votes with every ballot, says Rep. Ken Buck — The Takeout
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Chicago-area man charged with hate crimes for threatening Muslim men
Ranking
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom to make a one-day visit to Israel en route to China
- As a kid, Greta Lee identified with Val Kilmer — now, she imagines 'Past Lives'
- China is building up its nuclear weapons arsenal faster than previous projections, a US report says
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Former federal prosecutor Joe Teirab joins GOP field in Minnesota’s 2nd Congressional District
- Trevor Lawrence injury updates: Latest on Jaguars QB's status for 'TNF' game vs. Saints
- Cheetos pretzels? A look at the cheese snack's venture into new taste category
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Corn Harvests in the Yukon? Study Finds That Climate Change Will Boost Likelihood That Wilderness Gives Way to Agriculture
Why Tennis Champ Naomi Osaka and Boyfriend Cordae Are Sparking Breakup Rumors Months After Welcoming Baby
Hollywood’s actors strike is nearing its 100th day. Why hasn’t a deal been reached and what’s next?
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Chick-fil-A releases cookbook to combine fan-favorite menu items with household ingredients
After 189 bodies were found in Colorado funeral home, evidence suggests families received fake ashes
Surprise! Taylor Swift drops live version of 'Cruel Summer', 'pride and joy' from 'Lover'