Current:Home > ContactProsecutors ask to effectively close case against top Italian, WHO officials over COVID-19 response -Prime Capital Blueprint
Prosecutors ask to effectively close case against top Italian, WHO officials over COVID-19 response
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:59:40
ROME (AP) — Rome prosecutors asked a judge Thursday to effectively close an investigation into Italian and U.N. health officials over Italy’s 2020 Covid-19 response without charges, on the grounds that no crimes were committed, a lawyer said.
Rome prosecutors Claudia Terracina and Paolo Ielo asked to archive the investigation that had grabbed headlines given Italy’s huge toll as t he first epicenter of the pandemic in Europe. While the judge can override the request, such a decision is highly unlikely.
Already prosecutors had closed their case without filing charges against three of Italy’s past health ministers. On Thursday, they asked a judge to archive the case against nine other officials, including a former top official at the World Health Organization, Dr. Ranieri Guerra, said his lawyer Roberto De Vita.
The investigation initially focused on whether delayed lockdowns in the hard-hit northern city of Bergamo contributed to the toll, but expanded to include whether Italy’s overall preparedness going into the crisis played a role.
Included was controversy over a WHO report into Italy’s response that was published by the U.N. health agency in May 2020 and then taken down a day later and never republished.
A former WHO official, Francesco Zambon, had suggested that WHO spiked the report to spare the Italian government criticism that its pandemic preparedness plan hadn’t been updated. WHO said it was pulled because it contained inaccuracies and was published prematurely.
Guerra had been the former head of the department of prevention in the Italian health ministry until 2017 and was a WHO envoy to Italy during the pandemic. De Vita said prosecutors determined the pandemic plan was in the process of being updated.
He welcomed the decision to archive the case, saying it should have been closed two years ago as soon as Guerra provided documentation to prosecutors showing he had acted correctly.
In a statement, Guerra said his reputation had been “gravely” harmed by the controversy and lashed out at those who had accused him of not protecting Italy.
veryGood! (9439)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Things to know about efforts to block people from crossing state lines for abortion
- Michigan awaits a judge’s ruling on whether Jim Harbaugh can coach the team against Penn State
- Matt Ulrich, former Super Bowl champ, dead at age 41
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Moschino Creative Director Davide Renne Dead at 46 Just 9 Days After Stepping Into Role
- RHOP's Karen Huger Reveals Health Scare in the Most Grand Dame Way Possible
- Australia offers to help Tuvalu residents escape rising seas and other ravages of climate change
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- A teenager taken from occupied Mariupol to Russia will return to Ukraine, officials say
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Obesity drug Wegovy cut risk of serious heart problems by 20%, study finds
- After a Last-Minute Challenge to New Loss and Damage Deal, U.S. Joins Global Consensus Ahead of COP28
- Moschino Creative Director Davide Renne Dead at 46 Just 9 Days After Stepping Into Role
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Tensions running high at New England campuses over protests around Israel-Hamas war
- John Stamos talks joining the Beach Boys and being SO. HANDSOME.
- Mavericks to play tournament game on regular floor. Production issues delayed the new court
Recommendation
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Businessman allegedly stole nearly $8 million in COVID relief aid to buy a private island in Florida, oil fields in Texas
Sam Bankman-Fried is guilty, and the industry he helped build wants to move on
Korean Singer Nahee Dead at 24
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
Nonprofits making progress in tackling homelessness among veterans, but challenges remain
Dozens of Chinese ships chase Philippine vessels as US renews warning it will defend its treaty ally
Hidden demon face lurking in 1789 painting uncovered by restorers