Current:Home > reviewsFastexy:Colombia signs three-month cease-fire with FARC holdout group -Prime Capital Blueprint
Fastexy:Colombia signs three-month cease-fire with FARC holdout group
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 17:26:31
BOGOTA,Fastexy Colombia (AP) — Colombia’s government and the rebel group know as FARC-EMC on Monday signed a three-month cease-fire and formally began peace talks, as President Gustavo Petro tries to bolster his plans to pacify rural areas ahead of regional elections that will take place at the end of October.
In an event that took place in the township of Tibu, near Colombia’s border with Venezuela, both sides also agreed to cease attacks on civilians and set up a group that will monitor the cease-fire and could include United Nations personnel.
“Peace today seems to have been eclipsed when sirens, bombs, shouts of pain and desperation can be heard in places like the Middle East, Europe or sub-Saharan Africa” said Camilo González, the government’s lead negotiator. “These peace talks (in Colombia) are a bet on life and freedom.”
FARC-EMC are currently Colombia’s third largest armed group, with around 3,500 members. The group is led by left-wing guerrilla fighters who refused to join a 2016 peace deal between Colombia’s government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia in which more than 12,000 rebels laid down their guns.
The talks with the FARC-EMC are part of President Petro’s total peace strategy, which includes negotiating with various armed groups.
Colombia’s government in June signed a 6-month cease-fire with the National Liberation Army, the country’s largest remaining guerrilla group. But talks with the Gulf Clan, the nation’s second largest armed group, broke down earlier this year as the military cracked down on illegal mining in a region controlled by that organization.
FARC-EMC said in September that they will not interfere in municipal and provincial elections that will be held on October 29. Their leaders argued that they wanted to give the government a gesture of good will, as both sides tried to broker a cease-fire.
Last year, on December 31, President Petro ordered his troops to stop attacks on the FARC-EMC. But that cease-fire broke down in May after the rebels killed three teenagers from an Indigenous community who had been forcibly recruited and were trying to escape from one of the group’s camps.
Jorge Restrepo, a Colombian security analyst, said that the current cease-fire could take some time to implement, because FARC-EMC operates as a coalition of different rebel units, each with its own interests.
“There are disputes between the different groups that make up the EMC,” Restrepo said. “So that could limit the effect of the cease-fire on rural communities.”
____
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (834)
Related
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Jurors in trial of Salman Rushdie’s attacker likely won’t hear about his motive
- Luke Bryan says Beyoncé should 'come into our world' and 'high-five us' after CMAs snub
- Mortgage rates are at a two-year low. When should you refinance?
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Anti-abortion leaders undeterred as Trump for the first time says he’d veto a federal abortion ban
- On the road: Plenty of NBA teams mixing the grind of training camp with resort life
- Ex-Memphis officers found guilty of witness tampering in Tyre Nichols' fatal beating
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- 'Nothing like this': National Guard rushes supplies to towns cut off by Helene
Ranking
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Singer El Taiger Found With Gunshot Wound to the Head in Miami
- Did You Realize Kristen Bell and Adam Brody’s Gossip Girl Connection?
- Soul-searching and regret over unheeded warnings follow Helene’s destruction
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- AP Week in Pictures: Global
- Why Andrew Garfield Doesn't Think He Wants Kids
- Ex-Houston officer rushed away in an ambulance during sentencing at double-murder trial
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
The Latest: Harris to visit Michigan while Trump heads to Georgia
Utah woman arrested after telling informant she shot her estranged husband in his sleep
Micah Parsons injury update: When will Cowboys star pass rusher return?
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
There are 19 college football unbeatens. Predicting when each team will lose for first time
Jobs report is likely to show another month of modest but steady hiring gains
Ron Hale, retired 'General Hospital' soap opera star, dies at 78