Current:Home > NewsSafeX Pro:Travis Scott questioned in Astroworld festival deposition following wave of lawsuits -Prime Capital Blueprint
SafeX Pro:Travis Scott questioned in Astroworld festival deposition following wave of lawsuits
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 17:19:56
HOUSTON — Rap superstar Travis Scott was questioned on SafeX ProMonday in a deposition he is giving in connection with hundreds of lawsuits that were filed against him and others over the deaths and injuries at the 2021 Astroworld festival.
Scott was questioned in Houston during a deposition that could take several days to complete, two people with knowledge about the litigation said.
Lawyers and others connected to the lawsuits are under a gag order, preventing them from saying little beyond what happens during court hearings.
An attorney for Scott did not immediately return an email seeking comment. A spokesperson for Scott said a statement about Monday’s deposition was being prepared.
This was the first time Scott was questioned by attorneys for those who have filed lawsuits since a crowd surge at his Nov. 5, 2021, concert in Houston killed 10 festivalgoers.
Those killed, who ranged in age from 9 to 27, died from compression asphyxia, which an expert likened to being crushed by a car.
Similar crushes have happened all over the world, from a soccer stadium in England to the hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia to Halloween festivities in the South Korean capital. Most people who die in crowd surges suffocate.
Scott’s deposition comes as a judge earlier this year scheduled the first trial from the lawsuits for May 6, 2024. That first trial would take place nearly 2.5 years since the deadly concert.
Documents filed in court in April listed more than 1,500 active cases, many of which were filed against Scott and Live Nation, the concert promoter.
Of these, 992 were cases with physical injuries and 313 were cases of “emotional distress, pain, suffering and mental anguish.” Orthopedic surgeries have been completed in 17 of these cases, with other surgeries recommended in another 21.
Some of the lawsuits have since been settled, including those filed by the families of three of the people killed during the concert.
In June, a grand jury in Houston declined to indict Scott and five other people on any criminal charges related to the deadly concert.
Scott’s deposition on Monday took place on the same day that hip-hop artist Drake, who performed several songs with Scott during the Astroworld concert, was performing in Houston. Drake was also sued in connection with the deadly concert.
Travis Scott:Rapper announces Utopia-Circus Maximus Tour: These are the 28 tour dates
Astroworld:Travis Scott will not face criminal charges over concert that left 10 dead
veryGood! (43)
Related
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Virginia Tech star Elizabeth Kitley ruled out of ACC tournament with knee injury
- Texas wildfire relief and donations: Here's how (and how not) to help
- Millie Bobby Brown Claps Back on Strange Commentary About Her Accent
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Montana Rep. Rosendale drops US House reelection bid, citing rumors and death threat
- NH troopers shoot and kill armed man during a foot pursuit with a police dog, attorney general says
- Maryland Senate passes bill to let people buy health insurance regardless of immigration status
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Psst! Coach Outlet Secretly Added Hundreds of New Bags to Their Clearance Section and We're Obsessed
Ranking
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- 3 prison escapees charged with murder after U.S. couple vanishes while sailing in Grenada
- Pitch Perfect's Adam Devine and Wife Chloe Bridges Welcome First Baby
- Summer House Star Paige DeSorbo Influenced Me To Buy These 52 Products
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Labor market tops expectations again: 275,000 jobs added in February
- Russell Wilson visits with Steelers, meets with Giants ahead of NFL free agency, per reports
- This 21-year-old Republican beat a 10-term incumbent. What’s next for Wyatt Gable?
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Fulton County prosecutor Fani Willis and judge in Trump 2020 election case draw primary challengers
This 21-year-old Republican beat a 10-term incumbent. What’s next for Wyatt Gable?
The Challenge’s Nelson Thomas Gets Right Foot Amputated After Near-Fatal Car Crash
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Indiana lawmakers pass bill defining antisemitism, with compromises
Labor market tops expectations again: 275,000 jobs added in February
How to watch Caitlin Clark, No. 2 Iowa play Michigan in Big Ten Tournament semifinal