Current:Home > NewsResidents prepare to return to sites of homes demolished in Lahaina wildfire 7 weeks ago -Prime Capital Blueprint
Residents prepare to return to sites of homes demolished in Lahaina wildfire 7 weeks ago
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:32:05
HONOLULU (AP) — From just outside the burn zone in Lahaina, Jes Claydon can see the ruins of the rental home where she lived for 13 years and raised three children. Little remains recognizable beyond the jars of sea glass that stood outside the front door.
On Monday, officials will begin lifting restrictions on entry to the area, and Claydon hopes to collect those jars and any other mementos she might find.
“I want the freedom to just be there and absorb what happened,” Claydon said. “Whatever I might find, even if it’s just those jars of sea glass, I’m looking forward to taking it. ... It’s a piece of home.”
Authorities will begin allowing the first residents and property owners to return to their properties in the burn zone, many for the first time since it was demolished nearly seven weeks ago, on Aug. 8, by the deadliest U.S. wildfire in more than a century.
The prospect of returning has stirred strong emotions in residents who fled in vehicles or on foot as the wind-whipped flames raced across Lahaina, the historic capital of the former Hawaiian kingdom, and overcame people stuck in traffic trying to escape. Some survivors jumped over a sea wall and sheltered in the waves as hot black smoke blotted out the sun. The wildfire killed at least 97 people and destroyed more than 2,000 buildings, most of them homes.
Claydon’s home was a single-story cinderblock house painted a reddish-tan, similar to the red dirt in Lahaina. She can see the property from a National Guard blockade that has kept unauthorized people out of the burn zone. A few of the walls are still standing, and some green lawn remains, she said.
Authorities have divided the burned area into 17 zones and dozens of sub-zones. Residents or property owners of the first to be cleared for reentry — known as Zone 1C, along Kaniau Road in the north part of Lahaina — will be allowed to return on supervised visits Monday and Tuesday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Those eligible could pick up passes from Friday to Sunday in advance.
Darryl Oliveira, interim administrator of the Maui Emergency Management Agency, said officials also want to ensure that they have the space and privacy to reflect or grieve as they see fit.
“They anticipate some people will only want to go for a very short period of time, a few minutes to say goodbye in a way to their property,” Hawaii Gov. Josh Green said last week. “Others may want to stay several hours. They’re going to be very accommodating.”
Those returning will be provided water, shade, washing stations, portable toilets, medical and mental health care, and transportation assistance if needed. Nonprofit groups are also offering personal protective equipment, including masks and coveralls. Officials have warned that ash could contain asbestos, lead, arsenic or other toxins.
While some residents, like Claydon, might be eager to find jewelry, photographs or other tokens of their life before the fire, officials are urging them not to sift through the ashes for fear of raising toxic dust that could endanger them or their neighbors downwind.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Photos and videos capture 'biblical devastation' in Asheville, North Carolina: See Helene's aftermath
- North Carolina town bands together after Helene wreaked havoc: 'That's what we do'
- A port strike could cost the economy $5 billion per day, here's what it could mean for you
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Reaction to the death of Basketball Hall of Famer Dikembe Mutombo
- How one preschool uses PAW Patrol to teach democracy
- The Daily Money: Port strike could cause havoc
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Benny Blanco Has the Best Reaction to Selena Gomez’s Sexy Shoutout
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- John Deere recalls compact utility tractors, advises owners to stop use immediately
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Showstoppers
- Wisconsin city replaces ballot drop box after mayor carted it away
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Breyers to pay $8.85 million to settle 'natural vanilla' ice cream dispute
- Pete Rose made history in WWE: How he became a WWE Hall of Famer
- Fantasy football buy low, sell high: 10 trade targets for Week 5
Recommendation
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
Judge in Alaska sets aside critical habitat designation for threatened bearded, ringed seals
Startling video shows Russian fighter jet flying within feet of U.S. F-16 near Alaska
Murder in a Small Town’s Rossif Sutherland and Kristin Kreuk Detail “Thrilling” New Series
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Accused Los Angeles bus hijacker charged with murder, kidnapping
Did 'SNL' mock Chappell Roan for harassment concerns? Controversial sketch sparks debate
4 sources of retirement income besides Social Security to rely upon in 2025