Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-Lawsuit seeks to force ban on menthol cigarettes after months of delays by Biden administration -Prime Capital Blueprint
Will Sage Astor-Lawsuit seeks to force ban on menthol cigarettes after months of delays by Biden administration
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 18:23:14
WASHINGTON (AP) — Anti-smoking groups sued the U.S. government Tuesday over a long-awaited ban on Will Sage Astormenthol cigarettes, which has been idling at the White House for months.
The lawsuit is the latest effort to force the government to ban menthols, which are disproportionately used by Black smokers and young people. It comes amid growing concerns from advocates that the federal plan could be derailed by election-year politics.
Health officials under President Joe Biden initially targeted last August to publish the rule eliminating the minty flavor. Late last year, White House officials said they would take until March to review the rule. Three nonprofit groups, including Action on Smoking and Health, filed their lawsuit in a federal court in California after the March deadline passed.
“Because of defendants’ inaction, tobacco companies have continued to use menthol cigarettes to target youth, women, and the Black community — all to the detriment of public health,” the groups state in their complaint.
A spokesperson for the White House could not immediately comment on the lawsuit when reached Tuesday.
The Food and Drug Administration has spent years developing the plan to eliminate menthol, estimating it could prevent 300,000 to 650,000 smoking deaths over several decades. Most of those preventable deaths would be among Black Americans.
Like all major federal regulations, the plan must get final approval from the White House.
Previous FDA efforts on menthol have been scuttled by tobacco industry pushback or competing political priorities across several administrations. The latest delay comes as Democrats voice worries about Biden’s prospects in a rematch against former President Donald Trump.
White House officials have held dozens of meetings with groups opposing the menthol ban, including civil rights advocates, business owners and law enforcement officials. Some suggested a rule targeting menthols could suppress Biden’s turnout among Black voters. In almost all cases, groups opposing the ban receive financial support from tobacco companies.
In recent months, supporters of the plan have tried to assure the White House that banning menthol will not hurt Biden’s re-election chances.
“If Black lives truly matter, then we must end the sale of menthol cigarettes and do it now,” said Dr. Carol McGruder, of the African American Tobacco Control Leadership, in a statement. McGruder’s group is among those suing the FDA and its parent agency, the Department of Health and Human Services.
A 2020 lawsuit by the same groups jump-started FDA’s work on menthol, alleging that the agency had “unreasonably delayed” action against the flavor.
Menthol is the only cigarette flavor that was not banned under the 2009 law that gave the FDA authority over tobacco products, an exemption negotiated by industry lobbyists. The act did, though, instruct the agency to continue to weigh whether to ban menthol.
The flavor’s persistence has infuriated anti-smoking advocates, who point to research that menthol’s numbing effect masks the harshness of smoking, making it easier to start and harder to quit.
More than 11% of U.S. adults smoke, with rates roughly even between white and Black populations. About 80% of Black smokers — and most teenagers who smoke — use menthol.
___
AP Writer Zeke Miller contributed to this story
___
The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Science and Educational Media Group. The AP is solely responsible for all content.
veryGood! (61)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Prosecutors: Brooklyn man's head, torso kept in fridge for 2 years; couple arrested
- Julian Assange's wife takes hope as Biden says U.S. considering dropping charges against WikiLeaks founder
- 'Frustrated' former Masters winner Zach Johnson denies directing profanity at fans
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Biden’s ballot access in Ohio and Alabama is in the hands of Republican election chiefs, lawmakers
- Caitlin Clark gets personalized AFC Richmond jersey from 'Ted Lasso' star Jason Sudeikis
- Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Step Out in Style for Sushi Date in L.A.
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Faced with possibly paying for news, Google removes links to California news sites for some users
Ranking
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Q&A: What Do Meteorologists Predict for the 2024 Hurricane Season?
- Trump to host rally on Biden’s home turf in northeast Pennsylvania, the last before his trial begins
- Officer who fatally shot Kawaski Trawick 5 years ago won’t be disciplined, police commissioner says
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Alabama Mine Cited for 107 Federal Safety Violations Since Home Explosion Led to Grandfather’s Death, Grandson’s Injuries. Where Are State Officials?
- Roberto Cavalli, Italian fashion designer whose creations adorned celebrities, dies at 83
- Saddle Up to See Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Date at Polo Match in Florida
Recommendation
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
10 years after armed standoff with federal agents, Bundy cattle are still grazing disputed rangeland
You’ve heard of Octomom – but Octopus dad is the internet’s latest obsession
Iowa Supreme Court overturns $790,000 sexual harassment award to government employee
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Atlanta United hosts Philadelphia Union; Messi's Inter Miami plays at Arrowhead Stadium
A jury of his peers: A look at how jury selection will work in Donald Trump’s first criminal trial
'Literal cottagecore': Maine Wedding Cake House for sale at $2.65 million. See photos