Current:Home > FinanceSword-wielding man charged with murder in London after child killed, several others wounded -Prime Capital Blueprint
Sword-wielding man charged with murder in London after child killed, several others wounded
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-05 23:15:50
A 36-year-old man was charged with murder Wednesday in London after allegedly attacking members of the public and two police officers with a sword, London's Metropolitan Police said. A teenage boy died as a result of the attack, a senior London police officer said.
"It is with great sadness that I confirm that one of those injured in the incident, a 14-year-old boy, has died from their injuries. Taken to hospital after being stabbed and sadly died a short while after," the Met Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell told journalists.
The Crown Prosecution Service charged Marcus Arduini Monzo with one count of murder, two counts of attempted murder and other charges. Monzo will appear in Barkingside Magistrates' Court on Thursday.
"Our thoughts remain firmly with the family of Daniel and all those who have been impacted by this horrific incident," Jaswant Narwal, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Crown Prosecution Service London North said Wednesday in a statement, adding that the case is still under investigation.
In a statement sent earlier to CBS News, the London police force said officers and other emergency services had responded to "a serious incident in which a man with a sword has been arrested" in the Hainault area of east London.
"We understand the suspect went on to attack other members of the public and two police officers. We are awaiting an update on the condition of those injured," the statement said. The later statement from the crown prosecution did not provide an update on the injuries.
Social media video verified by CBS News' partner network BBC News shows the suspect dressed in a yellow sweater, walking and appearing to hide behind bushes in a front yard while carrying a long bladed weapon.
Senior U.K. police official Ade Adelekan said the incident was not believed to be related to terrorism.
"We do not believe there is any ongoing threat to the wider community. We are not looking for more suspects," Adelekan said.
London's Ambulance Service confirmed in a social media post that five people had been treated at the scene and subsequently taken to a hospital.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan said he was in constant contact with the police and that he was "absolutely devastated" by the attack.
"The police officers and emergency services showed the best of our city — running towards danger to protect others and I thank them from the bottom of our heart," he said in message shared on social media.
Transport for London, which runs the city's heavily used Underground train system, said the station for Hainault was closed due to a police investigation.
- In:
- Stabbing
- London
veryGood! (99)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Study Underscores That Exposure to Air Pollution Harms Brain Development in the Very Young
- Strip Mining Worsened the Severity of Deadly Kentucky Floods, Say Former Mining Regulators. They Are Calling for an Investigation
- Max streaming service says it will restore writer and director credits after outcry
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Tom Holland Says His and Zendaya’s Love Is “Worth Its Weight In Gold”
- Overwhelmed by Solar Projects, the Nation’s Largest Grid Operator Seeks a Two-Year Pause on Approvals
- Jessica Simpson Sets the Record Straight on Whether She Uses Ozempic
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Warming Trends: Bill Nye’s New Focus on Climate Change, Bottled Water as a Social Lens and the Coming End of Blacktop
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Four States Just Got a ‘Trifecta’ of Democratic Control, Paving the Way for Climate and Clean Energy Legislation
- Parties at COP27 Add Loss and Damage to the Agenda, But Won’t Discuss Which Countries Are Responsible or Who Should Pay
- A Natural Ecology Lab Along the Delaware River in the First State to Require K-12 Climate Education
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- At COP27, an 11th-Hour Deal Comes Together as the US Reverses Course on ‘Loss and Damage’
- Teen Mom’s Kailyn Lowry Confirms She Privately Welcomed Baby No. 5
- Robert De Niro's Daughter Says Her Son Leandro Died After Taking Fentanyl-Laced Pills
Recommendation
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
American Airlines and JetBlue must end partnership in the northeast U.S., judge rules
The Texas AG may be impeached by members of his own party. Here are the allegations
At COP27, the US Said It Will Lead Efforts to Halt Deforestation. But at Home, the Biden Administration Is Considering Massive Old Growth Logging Projects
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
A Dream of a Fossil Fuel-Free Neighborhood Meets the Constraints of the Building Industry
Is the California Coalition Fighting Subsidies For Rooftop Solar a Fake Grassroots Group?
At COP27, an 11th-Hour Deal Comes Together as the US Reverses Course on ‘Loss and Damage’