Current:Home > FinanceIn Exxon Climate Fraud Case, Judge Rejects Defense Tactic that Attacked the Prosecutor -Prime Capital Blueprint
In Exxon Climate Fraud Case, Judge Rejects Defense Tactic that Attacked the Prosecutor
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:06:35
ExxonMobil has suffered yet another setback in its legal fight to derail a climate fraud case by the New York Attorney General’s office.
A ruling on Wednesday by New York Supreme Court Judge Barry Ostrager prohibits Exxon from raising the claim of prosecutorial misconduct as a defense against allegations by the attorney general that the company engaged in a scheme to deceive investors by providing false or misleading assurances that it was managing economic risks posed by climate change.
In the wake of a four-count civil complaint last year, Exxon floated as one of many possible defenses contentions that the attorney general was selectively enforcing the law and violating what it said were the company’s First Amendment right to free speech and Fourteenth Amendment right to due process.
Exxon contended it became a target of prosecutors because its position on climate change did not align with that of the attorney general’s, and it said the attorney general’s office had colluded with climate activist organizations to punish the company. (The investigation was first opened by former attorney general Eric Schneiderman and continued by his successors.)
In a brief, handwritten ruling, Ostrager dismissed Exxon’s contention of prosecutorial conflict of interest and misconduct, but he left open the possibility of allowing the company to claim selective enforcement by prosecutors. The judge withheld his ruling on selective enforcement pending the filing of additional arguments.
Although the court’s action guts most of Exxon’s prosecutorial misconduct defense, the company remains poised to raise more than two dozen other defenses, including that it did not breach its duty to disclose relevant facts related to climate risk and that market conditions were responsible for any losses rather than any conduct by Exxon. A trial date has been set for Oct. 23.
The ruling on Wednesday parallels a decision last year by a federal court judge who rejected similar misconduct claims by Exxon. U.S. District Judge Valerie Caproni dismissed the company’s arguments, saying in part, there was no suggestion of a political vendetta by the authorities investigating Exxon.
veryGood! (67)
Related
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Ohio Senate Contest Features Two Candidates Who Profess Love for Natural Gas
- A Big Federal Grant Aims to Make Baltimore a Laboratory for Climate Change Adaptation and Resilience
- Charli D'Amelio Shares 6 Deals You’ll Find in Her Amazon Cart for Prime Day 2023
- Average rate on 30
- Remember That Coal Surge Last Year? Yeah, It’s Over
- Two Indicators: After Affirmative Action & why America overpays for subways
- Study Finds Global Warming Fingerprint on 2022’s Northern Hemisphere Megadrought
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- How a New ‘Battery Data Genome’ Project Will Use Vast Amounts of Information to Build Better EVs
Ranking
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- One Life to Live Star Andrea Evans Dead at 66
- Why building public transit in the US costs so much
- Pressing Safety Concerns, Opponents of the Mountain Valley Pipeline Gear Up for the Next Round of Battle
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- See Timothée Chalamet Transform Into Willy Wonka in First Wonka Movie Trailer
- A stolen Christopher Columbus letter found in Delaware returns to Italy decades later
- Protesters Rally at Gas Summit in Louisiana, Where Industry Eyes a Fossil Fuel Buildout
Recommendation
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
Post-Tucker Carlson, Fox News hopes Jesse Watters will bring back viewers
Las Vegas just unveiled its new $2.3 billion spherical entertainment venue
TikTokers Pierre Boo and Nicky Champa Break Up After 11 Months of Marriage
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
He lost $340,000 to a crypto scam. Such cases are on the rise
Sidestepping a New Climate Commitment, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Greenlights a Mammoth LNG Project in Louisiana
Inside Clean Energy: ‘Solar Coaster’ Survivors Rejoice at Senate Bill