Current:Home > ScamsSpecial counsel's office contacted former Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey in Trump investigation -Prime Capital Blueprint
Special counsel's office contacted former Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey in Trump investigation
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 01:18:45
Federal investigators examining efforts by former President Donald Trump to overturn the 2020 presidential election have reached out to former Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey, according to a spokesperson for Ducey.
"He's been contacted. He's been responsive, and just as he's done since the election, he will do the right thing," said the spokesperson, Daniel Scarpinato. CNN first reported the development.
Ducey, a Republican, was governor during Trump's alleged efforts to reverse the results of the election, which he lost. During a live broadcast on Nov. 30, 2020, in which Ducey certified the state's results, he was interrupted briefly when his phone rang and he could be seen on camera silencing it. His ring tone of "Hail to the Chief" could be heard, and Ducey later confirmed it was a call from Trump.
He said at the time that Trump never asked him not to sign the certification, according to the Associated Press.
Former Vice President Mike Pence told "Face the Nation" earlier this month that he also called Ducey following the 2020 elections.
"I did check in, with not only Gov. Ducey, but other governors and states that were going through the legal process of reviewing their election results," Pence said. "But there was no pressure involved … I was calling to get an update. I passed along that information to the president. It was no more, no less, than that."
When asked if he had been pressured by Trump to push Ducey to change the election results in Arizona, Pence said no.
Ducey's responsiveness to investigators for special counsel Jack Smith comes amid increasing signs that Trump may be indicted in the probe. On Tuesday, Trump revealed that he received a letter from the Justice Department identifying him as a target in the criminal investigation.
The target letter highlights three federal statutes, according to a senior Trump source. Two of the statutes include potential charges of conspiracy to commit an offense or to defraud the U.S., and deprivation of rights under color of law. The third indicates potential charges ranging from obstruction of an official proceeding to tampering with a witness, victim or an informant. Hundreds of defendants in the Justice Department's probe into the Jan. 6 Capitol attack have faced the obstruction-related charge.
Trump said he was given the opportunity to testify before a federal grand jury. He repeated his claim that the special counsel is engaged in a "witch hunt" and criticized the investigation as a "complete and total political weaponization of law enforcement."
Trump has levied similar claims against prosecutors in two other cases for which he's been indicted, in New York and Florida, as well as an investigation in Georgia, where he may soon also face charges.
In the New York case, Trump entered a not guilty plea on April 4 to 34 state felony counts of falsification of business records related to an alleged "hush money" payment made to an adult film star days before the 2016 presidential election.
In the Florida case, which was brought by Smith's office, Trump entered a not guilty plea on June 13 to 37 federal felony counts related to alleged "willful retention" of national security information after Trump left the White House.
In Georgia, the Fulton County district attorney has indicated that Trump and others in his orbit may soon be charged in connection with their alleged efforts to overturn the state's 2020 presidential election.
Graham KatesGraham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (948)
Related
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- 21 Things to Make Spring Cleaning a Breeze
- 28 Cleaning Products for Lazy People Who Want a Neat Home With Minimal Effort
- Boy Meets World's William Daniels Reunites With Co-Stars for 96th Birthday
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Marlon Wayans' Father Howell Wayans Dead at 86
- Putin admits weapons shortage but claims he could try to seize even more of Ukraine despite counteroffensive
- Tom Brady's Latest Outing With His and Gisele Bündchen's Kids Is a Work of Art
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Blac Chyna Adds New Title to Her Résumé After Receiving Her Doctorate
Ranking
- Average rate on 30
- Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu accused in corruption trial of pushing legislation to help Hollywood friend
- 2 Americans found dead in their hotel room in Mexico's Baja California Sur
- Little Mermaid Director Reveals Why Harry Styles Really Turned Down Prince Eric Role
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Finally Some Good News! China Says Giant Pandas Are No Longer Endangered
- Novak Djokovic wins French Open, setting the record for men's Grand Slam titles
- Chef Jet Tila Shares What’s in His Kitchen Including a Must-Have That Makes Cleaning Pans So Much Easier
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Eat Your Heart Out By Looking Back on the Most Iconic Celebrity Revenge Dresses of All-Time
Former head of U.K. police watchdog group charged with raping a minor
Kim Kardashian Shares Glimpse Inside Stylish Tokyo Trip With Her Kids
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
The Deadly Heat Wave Is Triggering Dozens Of Wildfires In Western Canada
Little Mermaid Director Reveals Why Harry Styles Really Turned Down Prince Eric Role
Former U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson quits politics after being sanctioned for misleading Parliament