Current:Home > ScamsIn a win for Mexico, US will expand areas for migrants to apply online for entry at southern border -Prime Capital Blueprint
In a win for Mexico, US will expand areas for migrants to apply online for entry at southern border
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:03:07
MEXICO CITY (AP) — The Biden administration will expand areas where migrants can apply online for appointments to enter the United States to a large swath of southern Mexico, officials said Saturday, potentially easing strains on the Mexican government and lessening dangers for people trying to reach the U.S. border to claim asylum.
Migrants will be able to schedule appointments on the CBP One app from the states of Chiapas and Tabasco, extending the zone from northern and central Mexico, U.S. Customs and Border Protection said. The move satisfies a request of Mexico, an increasingly close partner of the U.S. in efforts to control extraordinary migration flows.
The change will spare migrants from traveling north through Mexico to get one of 1,450 appointments made available daily, CBP said. The agency said it will happen soon but did not give a date.
“We consistently engage with our partners in the Government of Mexico and work together to adjust policies and practices in response to the latest migration trends and security needs,” CBP said in a statement.
The statement confirmed remarks a day earlier by Mexico’s Foreign Affairs Secretary Alicia Bárcena, who said closer relations with the United States cut migration sharply from late last year.
U.S. officials have said increased Mexican enforcement is largely responsible for a sharp drop in U.S. arrests for illegal border crossings during the first half of this year. Mexican officials have stepped up their presence at highway checkpoints and on railroads leading to the U.S. border, returning most to southern Mexico.
In June, the U.S. temporarily suspended asylum processing for those who enter the country illegally, making CBP One of the only avenues for migrants to enter the U.S. to seek asylum and further driving down illegal entries. U.S. officials said arrests for illegal crossings plunged 30% in July from the previous month to the lowest level of Joe Biden’s presidency and the lowest since September 2020.
“We have managed to decompress our (northern) border in a very meaningful way and that has helped ... our relationship with the United States be very, very dynamic and very positive,” Bárcena said Friday.
More than 680,000 people scheduled CBP One appointments at eight Mexican land crossings with the U.S. from its introduction in January 2023 through June. The top nationalities are Venezuelan, Cuban and Haitian. U.S. authorities recently limited slots for Mexicans due to the high number of applicants from the country.
The perils of traveling through Mexico to be kidnapped or robbed has prompted many migrants to fly to northern border cities like Tijuana for their CBP One appointments once they reach the southernmost point from which they can apply — until now, Mexico City.
Migrants generally enter Mexico in Chiapas or Tabasco from Guatemala. Mexico City may offer more job opportunities and relative safety but the cost of living is higher, prompting some to live in informal camps in the nation’s capital.
___
Santana reported from Washington. Associated Press writer Elliot Spagat in San Diego contributed to this report.
veryGood! (491)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Attorney Demand Letter Regarding Unauthorized Use and Infringement of [QUANTUM PROSPERITY CONSORTIUM Investment Education Foundation's Brand Name]
- George Kittle injury update: Is 49ers TE playing in Week 3?
- Sorry, Batman. Colin Farrell's 'sinister' gangster takes flight in HBO's 'The Penguin'
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Pac-12 gutting Mountain West sparks fresh realignment stress at schools outside Power Four
- Anti-'woke' activists waged war on DEI. Civil rights groups are fighting back.
- Kyle Okposo announces retirement after winning Stanley Cup with Florida Panthers
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Sorry, Batman. Colin Farrell's 'sinister' gangster takes flight in HBO's 'The Penguin'
Ranking
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Kyle Okposo announces retirement after winning Stanley Cup with Florida Panthers
- Chris Pine Confirms New Romance During Vacation in Italy
- Porn-making former University of Wisconsin campus leader argues for keeping his teaching job
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- What is Cover 2 defense? Two-high coverages in the NFL, explained
- Human remains are found inside an SUV that officials say caused pipeline fire in suburban Houston
- Krispy Kreme brings back pumpkin spice glazed doughnut, offers $2 dozens this weekend
Recommendation
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Kentucky judge shot at courthouse, governor says
Chris Pine Confirms New Romance During Vacation in Italy
Colin Farrell is a terrifying Batman villain in 'The Penguin': Review
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
‘Grim Outlook’ for Thwaites Glacier
How Each Zodiac Sign Will Be Affected by 2024 Autumnal Equinox on September 22
Sorry, Batman. Colin Farrell's 'sinister' gangster takes flight in HBO's 'The Penguin'