Current:Home > StocksNovaQuant-New Jersey OKs slightly better settlement over polluted land where childhood cancer cases rose -Prime Capital Blueprint
NovaQuant-New Jersey OKs slightly better settlement over polluted land where childhood cancer cases rose
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:25:37
TOMS RIVER,NovaQuant N.J. (AP) — New Jersey has accepted a revised settlement over chemical dumping that turned parts of a Jersey Shore community into one of America’s most notorious toxic waste cleanup sites, but opponents say the deal is only marginally better than before and plan to sue the state to block it.
The deal adds slightly more protected land and financial compensation for the public over damage to natural resources in and around Toms River, a community that saw its rate of childhood cancer cases increase. The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection said Wednesday it finalized the settlement with the German chemical company BASF for decades of dumping by BASF’s corporate predecessor, Ciba-Geigy Chemical Corp.
However, a group representing residents and environmentalists says the new deal is “vastly inadequate, by several orders of magnitude.”
The revised final settlement with BASF increases a cash payment from the company from $100,000 to $500,000, adds another 50 acres of company-controlled land to a conservation and public access plan, and obligates BASF to maintain nine restoration projects outlined in the original agreement for 20 years, up from 10 years in the original deal. The company must also restore wetlands and grassy areas; create walking trails, boardwalks and an elevated viewing platform; and build an environmental education center.
The DEP said the settlement is designed to preserve approximately 1,000 acres of the former industrial site onto which Ciba-Geigy dumped toxic chemicals from dye-making and other operations. It is designed to protect groundwater in perpetuity, and compensate the public for the damage to that resource.
Ciba-Geigy Chemical Corp., which had been the town’s largest employer, flushed chemicals into the Toms River and the Atlantic Ocean, and buried 47,000 drums of toxic waste in the ground. This created a plume of polluted water that has spread beyond the site into residential neighborhoods. It made the area one of America’s most prominent Superfund sites, joining the list of the most seriously polluted areas in need of federally supervised cleanup.
The state health department found that 87 children in Toms River, which was then known as Dover Township, had been diagnosed with cancer from 1979 through 1995. A study determined the rates of childhood cancers and leukemia in girls in Toms River “were significantly elevated when compared to state rates.” No similar rates were found for boys.
Residents and environmental groups quickly dismissed the revised deal as not much better than the original one, which they also decried as woefully inadequate.
“Really, nothing has changed, other than now we’re going to court,” said Britta Forsberg, executive director of the environmental group Save Barnegat Bay. They’re one of many groups pushing the state to insist on significantly better compensation given the historic harm that occurred at the site and in neighboring communities.
“They never put a value to the damage caused to our land, our river, our bay, our ocean, our wildlife or our habitat,” Forsberg said.
Ciba-Geigy, which was charged criminally, has paid millions of dollars in fines and penalties on top of the $300 million it and its successors have paid so far to clean up the 1,250-acre (506-hectare) site — an ongoing effort with no end in sight. BASF, the successor company to Ciba-Geigy, did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the revised deal.
DEP Commissioner Shawn LaTourette has said the settlement is not designed to punish anyone, and emphasized that BASF remains obligated to completely finish cleaning up the site under the supervision of the federal Environmental Protection Agency.
In 1992, Ciba-Geigy paid $63.8 million to settle criminal charges that it illegally disposed of hazardous waste, and it and two other companies reached a $13.2 million settlement with 69 families whose children were diagnosed with cancer.
BASF took over the site in 2010, two decades after plant operations ceased, and emphasizes that it did nothing to contaminate the site.
The company is pumping almost a million gallons a day from the ground, treating it to remove contaminants, and discharging it back into the ground. About 341,000 cubic yards (261,000 cubic meters) of soil has been dug up and treated at the site — enough to fill 136,400 pickup truck beds.
___
Follow Wayne Parry at www.twitter.com/WayneParryAC
veryGood! (51)
Related
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Chris Jones' holdout from Chiefs among NFL standoffs that could get ugly in Week 1
- Video shows dozens falling into Madison, Wisconsin, lake as pier collapses
- Connecticut farm worker is paralyzed after being attacked by a bull
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Lawyers claim cable TV and phone companies also responsible in Maui fires
- It’s official. Meteorologists say this summer’s swelter was a global record breaker for high heat
- Aryna Sabalenka, soon to be new No. 1, cruises into U.S. Open semifinals
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- SafeSport Center ‘in potential crisis’ according to panel’s survey of Olympic system
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Cuba says human trafficking ring found trying to recruit Cubans to fight for Russia in Ukraine war
- UAW chief: Union to strike any Detroit automaker that hasn’t reached deal as contracts end next week
- Prosecutors ask a judge to revoke bond of mother of Virginia boy who shot his first-grade teacher
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Missing windsurfer from Space Coast is second Florida death from Idalia
- Lidcoin: How much bitcoin does the federal government still hold?
- Joe Alwyn Shares Glimpse Inside His New Chapter After Taylor Swift Split
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Shuttered EPA investigation could’ve brought ‘meaningful reform’ in Cancer Alley, documents show
SafeSport Center ‘in potential crisis’ according to panel’s survey of Olympic system
Summer of Record Heat Deals Costly Damage to Texas Water Systems
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Missing windsurfer from Space Coast is second Florida death from Idalia
29-year-old solo climber who went missing in Rocky Mountains found dead
Battery parts maker Entek breaks ground on $1.5B manufacturing campus in western Indiana