Current:Home > NewsJury awards $10 million to man who was wrongly convicted of murder -Prime Capital Blueprint
Jury awards $10 million to man who was wrongly convicted of murder
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 16:49:13
DETROIT (AP) — A jury awarded $10 million to a Detroit-area man who spent nearly six years in prison for the killing of a 15-year-old girl before his conviction was thrown out at the request of prosecutors.
The jury said Alexandre Ansari’s constitutional rights were violated by a Detroit police detective who concealed evidence in the fatal shooting.
The verdict, returned Thursday in federal court, “restores some of Mr. Ansari’s dignity and will allow him to recover from the horrendous experience of being wrongfully convicted of a heinous crime he did not commit,” attorney Wolf Mueller said.
Mueller argued that police had crucial information about a different suspect, but it was not shared with the prosecutor or defense at the 2013 trial in Wayne County court.
The information would have revealed that the fatal shooting of Ileana Cuevas and the wounding of two more people in 2012 was likely arranged by a heroin dealer upset over drug thefts, he said.
A failure to disclose the information would be “egregious,” U.S. District Judge Stephen Murphy III said earlier in the litigation.
The detective had denied wrongdoing. But the prosecutor’s office found that he feared for his family in Texas and Mexico if the drug dealer knew he was investigating him for murder, according to evidence in the case.
In 2019, prosecutor Kym Worthy agreed to a “full and complete exoneration” of Ansari, freeing him from a life prison sentence, Mueller said.
veryGood! (278)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- 'Cowboy Carter' includes a 'Jolene' cover, but Beyoncé brings added ferocity to the lryics
- Takeaways: AP investigation reveals Black people bear disproportionate impact of police force
- Maine lawmakers to consider late ‘red flag’ proposal after state’s deadliest shooting
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- MLB Opening Day highlights: Scores, best moments from baseball's first 2024 day of action
- Sawfish are spinning, and dying, in Florida waters as rescue effort begins
- California’s commercial Dungeness crab season will end April 8 to protect whales
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- For years she thought her son had died of an overdose. The police video changed all that
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- 'He's going to do great here': New Orioles ace Corbin Burnes dominates Angels on Opening Day
- Suspect charged with murder, home invasion in deadly Illinois stabbing and beating rampage
- MLB Opening Day highlights: Scores, best moments from baseball's first 2024 day of action
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Law enforcement executed search warrants at Atlantic City mayor’s home, attorney says
- 2024 Masters field: Jon Rahm, Scottie Scheffler, Tiger Woods lead loaded group
- Crypt near Marilyn Monroe, Hugh Hefner to be auctioned off, estimated to sell for $400,000
Recommendation
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
House to send Mayorkas impeachment articles to Senate on April 10, teeing up clash over trial
Ex-school bus driver gets 9 years for cyberstalking 8-year-old boy in New Hampshire
Biden says he’s working to secure release of Wall Street Journal reporter held for a year in Russia
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Facebook News tab will soon be unavailable as Meta scales back news and political content
Georgia House approves new election rules that could impact 2024 presidential contest
ASTRO COIN: Bitcoin Spot ETF Approved, A Boon for Cryptocurrency