Current:Home > ScamsMigrant families rally for end to New York’s new 60-day limits on shelter stays -Prime Capital Blueprint
Migrant families rally for end to New York’s new 60-day limits on shelter stays
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:55:15
NEW YORK (AP) — Migrant families and their advocates marched outside New York City Hall on Tuesday to demand Mayor Eric Adams end his plan to limit the number of days newly arrived immigrants can remain in city-run shelters.
The late afternoon demonstration of students and parents at City Hall Park was in response to an order Adams issued in October limiting homeless migrants and their children to 60 days in city housing. The Democrat said the move was necessary to relieve a shelter system overwhelmed by asylum-seekers crossing the southern U.S. border.
Liza Schwartzwald, a director at the New York Immigration Coalition, one of the groups that organized Tuesday’s rally, said the time limits only serve to uproot families who have already made the dangerous journey across the border after fleeing poverty and crime in their homelands.
“There’s no excuse to retraumatize these families,” she said.
Karen Alford, a vice president at the United Federation of Teachers, said the policy will force migrant students just settling into classes to move from school to school as their families seek out new places to live in the city.
“As a city we must do better,” she said.
Spokespersons for Adams didn’t respond to an email seeking comment. But the mayor earlier Tuesday suggested frustrated New Yorkers should be protesting in the streets of the nation’s capital instead.
“We need to mobilize and rally and go to D.C. and say to the national government this is not fair what is happening to New York City,” said Adams, who has been among the big city mayors appealing for more federal help in managing the surge of migrants they say are arriving in their cities with little to no coordination, support or resources from President Joe Biden’s administration.
The 60-day limit is among the Adams administration’s efforts to rein in New York’s decades-old “ right to shelter,” which obligates the city to provide emergency housing to anyone who asks.
The first families affected by the order were expected to reach their time limit just days after Christmas. But the mayor’s office told The Associated Press last week that those migrants will receive extensions through early January.
Roughly 3,500 families have been issued notices so far. Single adult migrants are already capped at 30-days in shelters.
Those who still need help after their move-out deadline must reapply. But city officials have warned that a new placement might not happen right away. Families could also get sent to the sprawling tent complexes the city has constructed far from Manhattan.
veryGood! (6418)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- 'Greatest fans in the world': Phillies supporters turn Baltimore into playoff atmosphere
- Waffle House servers are getting a raise — to $3 an hour
- Charles Barkley says he will retire from television after 2024-25 NBA season
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Oilers on brink of being swept in Stanley Cup Final: Mistakes, Panthers' excellence to blame
- Rob Lowe Shares How He and Son John Owen Have Bonded Over Sobriety
- Alex Jones ordered to liquidate assets to pay for Sandy Hook conspiracy suit
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Muslim pilgrims converge at Mount Arafat for daylong worship as Hajj reaches its peak
Ranking
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Q&A: Choked by Diesel Pollution From Generators, Cancer Rates in Beirut Surge by 30 Percent
- When do new episodes of 'The Boys' come out? Full Season 4 episode schedule, where to watch
- Justice Department says it won't prosecute Merrick Garland after House contempt vote
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Marco Rubio says Trump remark on immigrants poisoning the blood of U.S. wasn't about race
- Euro 2024 highlights: Germany crushes Scotland in tournament opener. See all the goals
- Motorcycle riding has long been male-dominated. Now, women are taking the wheel(s)
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Arrests of 8 with suspected ISIS ties in U.S. renew concern of terror attack
New Mexico Debates What to Do With Oil and Gas Wastewater
Move over, Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce − TikTok is obsessed with this tall couple now
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Will the Lightning Bug Show Go On?
Ariana DeBose talks hosting Tony Awards, Marvel debut: I believe in versatility
Nashville police officer arrested for appearing in adult OnlyFans video while on duty