Current:Home > MarketsTradeEdge-George Santos ends comeback bid for Congress after raising no money -Prime Capital Blueprint
TradeEdge-George Santos ends comeback bid for Congress after raising no money
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 18:23:12
Former U.S. Rep. George Santos on TradeEdgeTuesday said he is dropping his longshot bid to return to Congress, months after he was expelled from the House while facing a slew of federal fraud charges.
Santos, who was running as an independent candidate for the 1st Congressional District in New York, said he was withdrawing from the race in a post on the social media platform X.
The announcement came after the disgraced former congressman’s campaign committee reported no fundraising or expenditures in March, raising speculation that his campaign had failed to get off the ground.
Santos last month launched a campaign to challenge Republican Rep. Nick LaLota in the GOP primary for the eastern Long Island congressional district, which is a different district than the one he previously represented. Weeks later, Santos said he was leaving the Republican Party and would instead run for the seat as an independent.
“Although Nick and I don’t have the same voting record and I remain critical of his abysmal record, I don’t want to split the ticket and be responsible for handing the house to Dems,” Santos wrote on X, adding, “Staying in this race all but guarantees a victory for the Dems in the race.”
Santos was expelled from the House in December following a damaging ethics committee report that determined there was “overwhelming evidence” of lawbreaking and that he “cannot be trusted.” He was just the sixth member expelled by colleagues in the chamber’s history.
The former congressman has pleaded not guilty to federal charges that include deceiving Congress about his wealth, stealing from his campaign and obtaining unemployment benefits he didn’t deserve. He has a trial tentatively scheduled for later this year.
In his post on X, Santos did not rule out seeking office in the future.
“It’s only goodbye for now,” he wrote, “I’ll be back.”
veryGood! (59183)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- 10 predictions for the rest of the 2024 MLB offseason | Nightengale's Notebook
- A Pentagon mystery: Why was Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin’s hospital stay kept secret for days?
- Resurrected Golden Globes will restart the party with ‘Barbie,’ ‘Oppenheimer’ and Swift
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Massive California wave kills Georgia woman visiting beach with family
- As EPA Looks Toward Negotiations Over Mobile, Alabama, Coal Ash Site, Federal Judge Dismisses Environmental Lawsuit on Technical Grounds
- Any physical activity burns calories, but these exercises burn the most
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Third batch of Epstein documents unsealed in ongoing release of court filings
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- South Korea says North Korea has fired artillery near their sea boundary for a third straight day.
- NFL Week 18 playoff clinching scenarios: Four division titles still to be won
- Michael Bolton reveals he's recovering from a successful brain tumor removal
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Interim president named at Grambling State while work begins to find next leader
- Death toll rises to 5 in hospital fire in northern Germany
- Residents across eastern U.S. and New England hunker down as snow, ice, freezing rain approaches
Recommendation
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Nigel Lythgoe departs 'So You Think You Can Dance' amid sexual assault allegations
The Bloodcurdling True Story Behind Killers of the Flower Moon
LeBron James gives blunt assessment of Lakers after latest loss: 'We just suck right now'
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Olympian Mary Lou Retton Speaks Out About Her Life-Threatening Health Scare in First Interview
Some Verizon customers can claim part of $100 million settlement. Here's how.
Rafael Nadal withdraws from Australian Open with injury just one tournament into comeback