Current:Home > InvestPoinbank:South Carolina has $1.8 billion but doesn’t know where the money came from or where it should go -Prime Capital Blueprint
Poinbank:South Carolina has $1.8 billion but doesn’t know where the money came from or where it should go
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 18:36:34
COLUMBIA,Poinbank S.C. (AP) — South Carolina has collected about $1.8 billion in a bank account over the past decade and state and private accountants are still trying to figure out where the cash came from and where it was supposed to go.
“It’s like going into your bank and the bank president tells you we have a lot of money in our vault but we just don’t know who it belongs to,” said Republican Sen. Larry Grooms, who is leading a Senate panel investigating the problem.
It’s the latest trouble with the state’s books and the two agencies, typically led by elected officials, that are in charge of making sure government accounts stay balanced.
Last year, the elected comptroller general — the state’s top accountant — resigned after his agency started double posting money in higher education accounts, leading to a $3.5 billion error that was all on paper. The problem started as the state shifted computer systems in the 2010s.
The latest issue appears to involve actual cash and elected Treasurer Curtis Loftis, whose job is to write checks for the state.
Investigative accountants are still trying to untangle the mess, but it appears that every time the state’s books were out of whack, money was shifted from somewhere into an account that helped balance it out, state Senate leaders have said.
“Politics really shouldn’t come into play. People prefer their accountants not be crusaders,” Grooms said Tuesday, just after the Senate approved putting a constitutional amendment before voters to make the comptroller general an appointed position. The proposal now goes to the House.
Grooms suggested that an amendment to make the treasurer also appointed might be next unless he can provide some satisfactory answers.
Whatever caused the bank account errors has not been rectified, and if there are records showing where the $1.8 billion came from, they have not been shared with state leaders.
“It does not inspire confidence. But the good news is no money was lost,” Gov. Henry McMaster said.
Loftis has said he invested the money in the mystery account and made nearly $200 million in interest for the state, which led to questions about why he didn’t let the General Assembly know money they either set aside for state agencies or that might have been in a trust fund was just sitting around.
An audit of how the Treasurer’s Office and the Comptroller General’s Office communicate found they don’t do it well.
The treasurer hasn’t answered detailed questions from lawmakers, but has posted statements on social media where he said he was being attacked politically and was having blame shifted on him by Comptroller General Brian Gaines, a well-respected career government worker who took over the office after Richard Eckstrom resigned during his sixth term.
Gaines and Loftis have been called before Grooms’ committee next week. Grooms said Gaines has answered every question his subcommittee has asked.
South Carolina has had a long history of accounting issues.
The Treasure’s Office was created when the state’s first constitution was written in 1776. Back then, the General Assembly selected the treasurer. But by the early 1800s, the state’s finances were in “a state of bewildering confusion” and no one could “tell the amounts of debts or of the credit of the State,” according to History of South Carolina, a book edited in 1920 by Yates Snowden and Howard Cutler.
The first comptroller general determined the state was due about $750,000, which would be worth about $20 million today considering inflation.
Meanwhile, plenty of lawmakers and others are aware there is $1.8 billion sitting around potentially unspent and not appropriated at a time when $3 billion in requests from state agencies went unfulfilled in next year’s budget just passed by the South Carolina House.
Legislative leaders and the governor want to wait for some definitive report before tapping into the account.
“That’s a lot of money and there is no need to hurry up and try to spend it,” McMaster said.
veryGood! (9876)
Related
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Green Bay Packers to face Philadelphia Eagles in São Paolo, Brazil in NFL Week 1
- As medical perils from abortion bans grow, so do opportunities for Democrats in a post-Roe world
- 6 former Mississippi law officers to be sentenced in state court for torture of 2 Black men
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Kansas deputy fatally shoots woman holding a knife and scissors
- Jax Taylor and Brittany Cartwright Only Had Sex This Often Before Breakup
- In striking reversal, low-paid workers saw biggest wage growth during pandemic years
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Michigan man convicted in 2018 slaying of hunter at state park
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Love Is Blind's Jessica Vestal Shares Why She Lost Weight After Quitting the Gym
- College students are flocking to the Marriage Pact, mostly for fun, but some find lasting love
- Lunchables have concerning levels of lead and sodium, Consumer Reports finds
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Right to abortion unlikely to be enshrined in Maine Constitution after vote falls short
- Coast Guard resumes search for missing man Jeffrey Kale after boat was found off NC coast
- Aoki Lee Simmons and Vittorio Assaf Break Up Days After PDA-Filled Vacation
Recommendation
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Aoki Lee Simmons, 21, Vittorio Assaf, 65, and the relationship age gap conversation
Authorities offer $45,000 for info leading to arrest in arson, vandalism cases in Arizona town
Adam Silver says gambling probe of Toronto’s Jontay Porter could lead to banishment from league
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Investigators focus on electrical system of ship in Baltimore bridge collapse
Watch this soccer fan's reaction to a surprise ticket to see Lionel Messi
Maine’s Democratic governor vetoes bid to end ‘three strikes’ law for petty theft