Current:Home > NewsUN migration agency estimates more than 670 killed in Papua New Guinea landslide -Prime Capital Blueprint
UN migration agency estimates more than 670 killed in Papua New Guinea landslide
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 00:27:32
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — The International Organization for Migration on Sunday increased its estimate of the death toll from a massive landslide in Papua New Guinea to more than 670.
Serhan Aktoprak, the chief of the U.N. migration agency’s mission in the South Pacific island nation, said the revised death toll was based on calculations by Yambali village and Enga provincial officials that more than 150 homes had been buried by Friday’s landslide. The previous estimate had been 60 homes.
“They are estimating that more than 670 people (are) under the soil at the moment,” Aktoprak told The Associated Press.
Local officials had initially put the death toll on Friday at 100 or more. Only five bodies and a leg of a sixth victim had been recovered by Sunday.
Emergency responders in Papua New Guinea were moving survivors to safer ground on Sunday as tons of unstable earth and tribal warfare, which is rife in the country’s Highlands, threatened the rescue effort.
The South Pacific island’s government meanwhile is considering whether it needs to officially request more international support.
Crews have given up hope of finding survivors under earth and rubble 6 to 8 meters (20 to 26 feet) deep, Aktoprak said.
“People are coming to terms with this so there is a serious level of grieving and mourning,” he said.
Government authorities were establishing evacuation centers on safer ground on either side of the massive swath of debris that covers an area the size of three to four football fields and has cut the main highway through the province.
“Working across the debris is very dangerous and the land is still sliding,” Aktoprak said.
Beside the blocked highway, convoys that have transported food, water and other essential supplies since Saturday to the devastated village 60 kilometers (35 miles) from the provincial capital, Wabag, have faced risks related to tribal fighting in Tambitanis village, about halfway along the route. Papua New Guinea soldiers were providing security for the convoys.
Eight locals were killed in a clash between two rival clans on Saturday in a longstanding dispute unrelated to the landslide. Around 30 homes and five retail businesses were burned down in the fighting, local officials said.
Aktoprak said he did not expect tribal combatants would target the convoys but noted that opportunistic criminals might take advantage of the mayhem to do so.
“This could basically end up in carjacking or robbery,” Aktoprak said. “There is not only concern for the safety and security of the personnel, but also the goods because they may use this chaos as a means to steal.”
Longtime tribal warfare has cast doubt on the official estimate that almost 4,000 people were living in the village when a side of Mount Mungalo fell away.
Justine McMahon, country director of the humanitarian agency CARE International, said moving survivors to “more stable ground” was an immediate priority along with providing them with food, water and shelter. The military was leading those efforts.
The numbers of injured and missing were still being assessed on Sunday. Seven people including a child had received medical treatment by Saturday, but officials had no details on their conditions.
Medical facilities were buried along with houses, several small businesses, a guest house, school and gas station, officials said.
McMahon said there were other health facilities in the region, the provincial government was sending health workers and the World Health Organization was mobilizing staff.
“There will be some support, but it’s such a spread-out area that I think it will be quite a challenging situation,” McMahon said. “The scale of this disaster is quite immense.”
While Papua New Guinea is in the tropics, the village is 2,000 meters (6,600 feet) above sea level where temperatures are substantially cooler.
Papua New Guinea Defense Minister Billy Joseph and the government’s National Disaster Center director Laso Mana were flying from Port Moresby by helicopter to Wabag on Sunday to gain a firsthand perspective of what is needed.
Aktoprak expected the government would decide by Tuesday whether it would officially request more international help.
The United States and Australia, a near neighbor and Papua New Guinea’s most generous provider of foreign aid, are among governments that have publicly stated their readiness to do more to help responders.
Papua New Guinea is a diverse, developing nation with 800 languages and 10 million people who are mostly subsistence farmers.
veryGood! (29239)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Texas teen struck, killed by semi after getting off school bus; driver charged with homicide
- Federal judge poised to prohibit separating migrant families at US border for 8 years
- Baltimore’s light rail service suspended temporarily for emergency inspections
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Pope Francis makes his first public appearances since being stricken by bronchitis
- Patriotic brand Old Southern Brass said products were US-made. The FTC called its bluff.
- US Sen. Kevin Cramer’s son makes court appearance after crash that killed North Dakota deputy
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Stolen packages could put a chill on the holiday season. Here's how experts say you can thwart porch pirates.
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Mike McCarthy returns from appendectomy, plans to coach Cowboys vs. Eagles
- Philanthropist MacKenzie Scott reveals the groups that got some of her $2.1 billion in gifts in 2023
- Timothée Chalamet says 'Wonka' is his parents' 'favorite' movie that he's ever done
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Amy Robach and T.J. Holmes' Exes Andrew Shue and Marilee Fiebig Spotted Together Amid Budding Romance
- Thursday Night Football highlights: Patriots put dent into Steelers' playoff hopes
- 55 cultural practices added to UNESCO's list of Intangible Cultural Heritage
Recommendation
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
Think twice before scanning a QR code — it could lead to identity theft, FTC warns
Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour is the first tour to gross over $1 billion, Pollstar says
What’s streaming now: Nicki Minaj’s birthday album, Julia Roberts is in trouble and Monk returns
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis Get into the Holiday Spirit in Royal Outing
Ukraine’s human rights envoy calls for a faster way to bring back children deported by Russia
Air Force major says he feared his powerlifting wife