Current:Home > ContactGeorge Santos attorney expresses optimism about plea talks as expelled congressman appears in court -Prime Capital Blueprint
George Santos attorney expresses optimism about plea talks as expelled congressman appears in court
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 20:19:10
CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. (AP) — Former U.S. Rep. George Santos ' lawyer expressed optimism about plea negotiations in Santos’ criminal fraud case Tuesday, successfully fending off prosecutors’ attempts to speed up the the ousted congressman’s trial.
In Santos’ first court appearance since he was expelled from Congress earlier this month, his attorney, Joseph Murray, argued that it was premature to bring the September trial forward while the two parties were in talks to resolve the case.
“We should focus on the plea deal. I believe they can be fruitful,” Murray told Judge Joanna Seybert in the federal court in Long Island. He also argued that he was “struggling” to keep up with “voluminous materials” produced by the government during the discovery process.
Seybert sided with Murray, saying she would try to move the case “as expeditiously as possible” but that September seemed like the earliest possible date based on her current caseload. She set the next hearing in the case for Jan. 23.
Santos, wearing a blue blazer over a dark sweater, declined to comment on the case to reporters as he left the courthouse, saying to one, “It’s cold, go home.”
Santos earlier this month became only the sixth lawmaker in history to be expelled from the U.S. House of Representatives, a move that left Republicans with a razor-thin majority in the chamber.
The ex-lawmaker faces a slew of criminal charges, including allegations that he defrauded campaign donors, lied to Congress about his wealth, received unemployment benefits while employed, and used campaign contributions to pay for personal expenses like designer clothing. Among the charges are allegations that he made unauthorized charges on credit cards belonging to some of his donors.
Santos, 35, pleaded not guilty to a revised indictment in October.
Prosecutors revealed in a court filing Monday that they were negotiating with Santos to potentially resolve his criminal case without a trial.
In an interview on CBS New York that aired Sunday, Santos said he hadn’t ruled out pleading guilty, saying “there’s obviously conversations taking place, especially after what happened in Congress, and we’ll see.”
Santos was elected last year after campaigning as a self-made Wall Street whiz, but was revealed after the election to have been a fabulist who had lied about where he worked, where he went to college and big chunks of his personal background.
Since leaving Congress, Santos launched an account on the website Cameo, where the public can pay him for a personalized video message. In the televised interview, Santos said he made more money in a week on the platform than his annual salary as a congressman.
A special election will be held Feb. 13 to elect his successor in a House district that includes a mix of wealthy Long Island suburbs and a working-class section of Queens.
That race will likely pit former U.S. Rep. Thomas Suozzi, a Democrat who previously held the seat before running unsuccessfully for governor, against one of a number of Republicans.
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (78148)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Uber to shut down Drizly, the alcohol delivery service it bought for $1.1 billion
- Colombia extends cease-fire with FARC splinter group in bid to reduce rural violence
- North Korea scraps agencies managing relations with South as Kim Jong Un cites hostility with rival
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Primetime Emmy Awards live coverage: Award winners so far, plus all the best moments
- Boeing will increase quality inspections on 737 Max aircraft following Alaska Airlines blowout
- Why Sharon Osbourne Doesn't Regret Ozempic After Cautioning Against It
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- High-power detectives clash over a questionable conviction in 'Criminal Record'
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Hulk Hogan steps in to help teen girl in Florida multi-car crash over the weekend
- Suspected Long Island Serial Killer Rex Heuermann Charged With Murder of 4th Woman
- Emmys 2023: Jenna Ortega's Wednesday Season 2 Update Will Send Shivers Down Your Spine
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Brooklyn man fatally shot inside NYC subway train tried to break up fight, reports say
- Niecy Nash's Emmys speech pays tribute to 'every Black and brown woman who has gone unheard'
- From Ayo Edebiri to Suki Waterhouse: The 12 best dressed stars at 2024 Emmys
Recommendation
Bodycam footage shows high
Eva Mendes Proves Why Ryan Gosling Is Far From Being Just Ken
See all the red carpet looks from the 2024 Emmy Awards
Uber to shut down Drizly, the alcohol delivery service it bought for $1.1 billion
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
Virginia gun-rights advocates rally at annual ‘Lobby Day’ amid legislators’ gun-control push
As opioids devastate tribes in Washington state, tribal leaders push for added funding
Broadway's How to Dance in Ohio shines a light on autistic stories