Current:Home > reviewsMore than 2,000 believed buried alive in Papua New Guinea landslide, government says -Prime Capital Blueprint
More than 2,000 believed buried alive in Papua New Guinea landslide, government says
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 00:20:59
A Papua New Guinea government official has told the United Nations that more than 2,000 people are believed to have been buried alive by last Friday's landslide and has formally asked for international help.
The government figure is roughly triple the U.N. estimate of 670 killed by the landslide in the South Pacific island nation's mountainous interior. The remains of only five people had been recovered by Monday, local authorities reported. It was not immediately clear why the tally of six reported on Sunday had been revised down.
In a letter to the United Nations resident coordinator dated Sunday, the acting director of the country's National Disaster Center, Luseta Laso Mana, said the landslide "buried more than 2,000 people alive" and caused "major destruction" in Yambali village in Enga province.
The landslide caused "major destruction to buildings, food gardens and caused major impact on the economic lifeline of the country," the letter said, according to Agence France-Presse.
Estimates of the casualties have varied widely since the disaster occurred, and it was not immediately clear how officials arrived the number of people affected.
The International Organization for Migration, which is working closely with the government and taking a leading role in the international response, has not changed its estimated death toll of 670 released on Sunday, pending new evidence.
"We are not able to dispute what the government suggests but we are not able to comment on it," said Serhan Aktoprak, chief of the U.N. migrant agency's mission in Papua New Guinea.
"As time goes in such a massive undertaking, the number will remain fluid," Aktoprak added.
The death toll of 670 was based on calculations by Yambali village and Enga provincial officials that more than 150 homes had been buried by the landslide. The previous estimate had been 60 homes.
The office of Papua New Guinea Prime Minister James Marape did not respond Monday to a request for an explanation of what the government estimate of 2,000 was based on. Marape has promised to release information about the scale of the destruction and loss of life when it becomes available.
Determining the scale of the disaster is difficult because of challenging conditions on the ground, including the village's remote location, a lack of telecommunications and tribal warfare throughout the province which means international relief workers and aid convoys require military escorts.
At least 26 tribal warriors and mercenaries were killed in a battle between two warring tribes in Enga in February, as well as an unconfirmed number of bystanders.
The national government's lack of reliable census data also adds to the challenges of determining how many are potentially dead.
The government estimates Papua New Guinea's population at around 10 million people, although a U.N. study, based on data including satellite photographs of roof tops, estimated in 2022 it could be as high as 17 million. An accurate census has not been held in the nation in decades.
The landslide also buried a 200-meter (650-foot) stretch of the province's main highway under debris 6 to 8 meters (20 to 26 feet) deep, creating a major obstacle for relief workers.
Mana said the landslide would have a major economic impact on the entire country.
An excavator donated by a local builder Sunday became the first piece of heavy earth-moving machinery brought in to help villagers who have been digging with shovels and farming tools to find bodies. Working around the still-shifting debris is treacherous.
"The situation remains unstable" due to the shifting ground, "posing ongoing danger to both the rescue teams and survivors alike," Mana wrote to the United Nations.
Mana and Papua New Guinea's defense minister, Billy Joseph, flew on Sunday in an Australian military helicopter from the capital of Port Moresby to Yambali, 600 kilometers (370 miles) to the northwest, to gain a firsthand perspective of what is needed.
Mana's office posted a photo of him at Yambali handing a local official a check for 500,000 kina ($130,000) to buy emergency supplies for 4,000 displaced survivors.
The purpose of the visit was to decide whether Papua New Guinea's government needed to officially request more international support.
Earth-moving equipment used by Papua New Guinea's military was being transported to the disaster scene, 250 miles from the east coast city of Lae.
Traumatized villagers are divided over whether heavy machinery should be allowed to dig up and potentially further damage the bodies of their buried relatives, officials said.
Australian Defense Minister Richard Marles said his officials have been talking with their Papua New Guinea counterparts since Friday, when the landslide occurred.
"The exact nature of the support that we do provide will play out over the coming days," Marles told the Australian Broadcasting Corp.
"We've obviously (have) airlift capacity to get people there. There may be other equipment that we can bring to bear in terms of the search and rescue (and other matters) ... that we are talking through with PNG right now," Marles added.
- In:
- Papua New Guinea
- Landslide
veryGood! (3)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- 6-year-old boy shoots infant sibling twice after getting hold of a gun in Detroit
- Trump Wants to Erase Protections in Alaska’s Tongass National Forest, a Storehouse of Carbon
- Fossil Fuel Allies in Congress Target Meteorologists’ Climate Science Training
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Francia Raisa Pleads With Critics to Stop Online Bullying Amid Selena Gomez Drama
- Climate prize winner empowers women in India to become farmers and entrepreneurs
- Warren Buffett Faces Pressure to Invest for the Climate, Not Just for Profit
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Why Christine Quinn's Status With Chrishell Stause May Surprise You After Selling Sunset Feud
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Harry Potter's Miriam Margolyes Hospitalized With Chest Infection
- Tom Holland says he's taking a year off after filming The Crowded Room
- Why Christine Quinn's Status With Chrishell Stause May Surprise You After Selling Sunset Feud
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Prospect of Chinese spy base in Cuba unsettles Washington
- Should Daylight Saving Time Be Permanent?
- 6-year-old boy shoots infant sibling twice after getting hold of a gun in Detroit
Recommendation
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
Sorry Gen Xers and Millennials, MTV News Is Shutting Down After 36 Years
Today’s Climate: August 3, 2010
This is America's most common text-messaging scam, FTC says
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Industries Try to Strip Power from Ohio River’s Water Quality Commission
Here's Where You Can Score 80% Off the Chicest Rag & Bone Clothing & Accessories
Chase Sui Wonders Shares Insight Into Very Sacred Relationship With Boyfriend Pete Davidson